Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 AM   #11
coyote696
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Perhaps John Michael Montgomery can join his local National Reserve unit in his area and write some real letters? I think not. Theres one person who actually acted on thier convictions in the entertainment/sports field. Pat Tillman, former safety with the Arizona Cardinals with a multi-million dollar contract. Joined Army Rangers, killed in action Afghanisthan. I salute Pat Tillman, not some yo-yo singing a song he knows nothing about.
Ya know I sense your hostilities here, but ya know, what gives. I met Toby Keith in Kosovo in 2002? Where were you?

I met another entertainer in the sands of the Saudi desert in 1991, where were you?

I met some politicains and entertainers when the wall came down back 1989, where were you?

You say you salute Pat Tillman, what about Nathan E. Stahl? Did you know he was KIA 21 SEP in Iraq? Probably not, he was just a soldier, righ
Entertainers are just that. I applaud them for what they do, and how they do it. And when a rare talent hits a spot that can only be felt by an elite group of society, don't hate the 'players' hate the sport, or get off your duff and participate, but stop the hate!
[/QUOTE]Absolutely Felix. I was there for all but Kosovo, and never forget the soldiers. They are the important ones in this.

[ 09-28-2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: coyote696 ]
Old 09-28-2004, 05:52 AM   #12
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

John Michael Montgomery has a gift for singing some of the most touching ballads in country music today. His song "Letters From Home" reminds each of us that the men and women of our armed forces are facing life and death every day while we go about our daily business.

Here is a link to John Michael Montgomery's site. You can listen to "Letters From Home" there. John Michael Montgomery - "Letters From Home"

There is also a Christian artist that has an even greater talent (IMHO) for writing ballads that can make anyone cry. His name is Mark Schultz and he has written a song very similar to John Michael Montgomery's - only Mark's is called "Letters From War".

Here is a link to his site and his tribute to our soldiers. Mark Schultz - "Letters From War"
Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 AM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm sorry I dont like your cheesy song, I'll try putting on an Abba cd as punishment. Oh and Felix where was I? 1981-1985 USMC
Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
I'm sorry I dont like your cheesy song, I'll try putting on an Abba cd as punishment. Oh and Felix where was I? 1981-1985 USMC

I enjoyed the privilege of working with a Few Marines, so now I understand why you feel the way do. However, one would think that after nearly 20 years, some of your compassion would have returned. But as the saying goes, Once a Marine always a Marine.
Where did you do your advanced training? I was at the armor school Fall 81- Spring 82.

What do you do every year on 23 Oct?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:27 AM   #15
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
Does anyone know where the financial profits from his music go? Genuinely curious here.
Probably through the same grinder through which all musical artist's profits are put through. They go to the artist and their 'machine'. I'm not sure how popular JMM is, but unless he's a superstar his 'machine' probably gets the lion's share, but if he puts $10 million in directly into his pocket from this song, what does it matter? Does anyone know where the profits from "Back Up Dat Ass" went? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Come on folks this isn't about John Michael Montgomery and what a great guy he may or may not be, it is about the song he wrote and sings. It is a wonderful song, and it is wonderful whether you were for or against the war in Iraq, because it isn't a hip hip hooray song for that war or war in general, it is a song about soldiers and their families, and that song would just as easily apply to soldiers from WWII or WWI or any other conflict you choose to compare it to after the advent of mail service. For that matter it could apply to soldiers from either side of those conflicts.

When I hear a song I like, whether it is this one or one I may have first heard sung twenty years ago, I like it because I like it and not because of who wrote or sings it. I like almost everything Elton John has ever done, but it isn't because I like him personally because I don't even know him. I didn't like Candle In The Wind because I was in favor of Marilyn Monroe's death, and Elton didn't write that song because he had personal knowledge of her death. He used his gift to write a song that was touching because of what it said based on his non personal knowledge of her. What about Elton's love songs? Do they stop being romantic to heterosexuals when they learn he is gay? Does Saturday's Alright For Fighting somehow stop being a macho ass-kicking song because of his sexual preference? Was he ever a Rocket Man? Has the NY Times ever really said, God Is Dead as Elton espouses in Levon? Of course not because it isn't Elton John that matters, it is his music. I'm sure Yorick could provide better examples, but until he stops by, your stuck with those. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

When I served in the Army, it was not during a time of conflict, and I wasn't stationed abroad, but America is a big place, and I was far from home. I can tell you that I missed my home and realized what I had there. I can tell you that being away from my family then taught the 19 year old know-it-all that I was in those days how amazing my family was and I much I'd taken them for granted. I can tell you that while I was gone I learned a new respect and love for my parents that changed our relationship forever.

I also realized how important my friends were, and I am not too embarrassed to admit that the cheesy That's What Friends Are For by Dion Warwick, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, and Gladys Knight choked me up then, and I still smile when I hear it today.

Most importantly, I can tell you that my life, in those days, completely revolved around letters from home.

I love that JMM song because it is about the men and women who serve and not the politics of the US Government's use of that service.

Listen to it. It is just as real as any love song you've ever heard, because it is one. It is a love song about the love of family, wife to husband and parent to child.

Everything doesn't have to be a big political argument.

[ 09-28-2004, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Perhaps John Michael Montgomery can join his local National Reserve unit in his area and write some real letters? I think not. Theres one person who actually acted on thier convictions in the entertainment/sports field. Pat Tillman, former safety with the Arizona Cardinals with a multi-million dollar contract. Joined Army Rangers, killed in action Afghanisthan. I salute Pat Tillman, not some yo-yo singing a song he knows nothing about.
I think you'll find John Michael Montgomery is a bit too old to sign up. He could and may be doing USO shows though.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 09-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #17
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

You say you salute Pat Tillman, what about Nathan E. Stahl? Did you know he was KIA 21 SEP in Iraq? Probably not, he was just a soldier, right!

I agree with this. Pat Tillman turned down millions yes, but that doesn't make his life worth any more than anyone else who died in the desert. He made the same decision as the rest of us, he voluntered and unfortunately died. He had more media coverage of his death than any of the other 999 poor souls combined. If I am correct, not many knew of his joining the military because he DIDN'T want the attention and media coverage, so all the coverage he had on his death he wouldn't have wanted either.

I'm off to the desert myself shortly, I just hope that I come home. I sure don't want to be forgotten. I'm not giving up millions, but I am offering up my life, just as everyone else who joins.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 09-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #18
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

Check these two poems out all, I can't read them enough... http://grunt.space.swri.edu/freedom.htm

There are two poems to read, they say it all as far as I'm concerned.

[ 09-28-2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Morgan_Corbesant ]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 09-29-2004, 12:07 AM   #19
Gxc
Elminster

woops, nevermind.

[ 09-29-2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Gxc ]
Old 09-29-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
...I'm not giving up millions, but I am offering up my life, just as everyone else who joins.
Thank you. I am too old and broken to serve, and I don't agree with the politics of this war, but that doesn't lessen my appreciation of what you are layng on the line.
May you return safely.