Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2001, 02:20 AM   #11
tehmpus
The Magister

I love to play wizards as well in D&D, but although they have alot of multiple uses and are quite fun, warriors are truely the ubber class. Sure, in a one shot fight, I'd give the advantage to a wizard who can shoot off his highpowered spells to good effect, but a warrior can just keep on chopping and slaying and slaughtering. There is no need to rest when you've got a talented warrior in the group. From a power standpoint, the D&D classes are not balanced one bit. Let's face it, it's a roleplaying game meant for the characters to act out different personalities, and enjoy an adventure of dialogue and thought. For Baldur's, we're talking about mainly a hack and slash scenario.. so why bother with a thief or cleric type?

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-17-2001, 02:37 AM   #12
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by tehmpus:
For Baldur's, we're talking about mainly a hack and slash scenario.. so why bother with a thief or cleric type?
i dont mind you taking it out on clerics but thieves thats goin a bit far!! how can a warrior hack and slash when the thief he couldnt see or hear snuck up and stuck a dagger in his spine??

long live Artemis Entreri

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-17-2001, 06:24 AM   #13
tehmpus
The Magister

Considering that a warrior would probably survive such a cowardly blow with more HP left than the Cutpurse had to begin with... I imagine, that he would calmly turn around, blocking the assassin's next blow with his handy shield, and proceed to carve the little fool into tiny little pieces of meat. Just a guess.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-17-2001, 06:35 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I suppose your warriors like being petrified or disintergrated by traps; or maybe being swarmed by Wraiths and a dozen STR-sucking Shadows. Hey is that a Mind Flayer? No problem! I love being psionic-stunned and having my brains sucked out! Oooo! A locked door! I think I will just bash it down instead of lockpicking it and sacrifice some Xp. I have buttloads of Hp, but that Dragon just hit me with a Critical Hit, too bad I do not have a Cleric to instant heal me with a Heal spell, guess it is time to run around for a while drinking health potions. Etc... ...

While it is possible to play the game without a Cleric and/or a Thief, they make the game much much easier and can aid you in many encounters.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips
Old 10-17-2001, 09:27 AM   #15
StarVid
Elminster

No kidding. I like to keep as few warriors in my group as possible. In a group of six, I usually have at least 4 spellcasters, actually 5 if you count Jah. And technically, Minsc can cast spells, so actually, I have all spellcasters. But seriously, mages can have a much easier time of the game than a warrior. You don't believe me? Make your own party of 5 warriors (and a thief because they are kind of necessary), and another party of 5 mages (and a thief), and see who has an easier time.

If I ever MP'd, I'd love to duel my wild mage against your fighter...but I don't so that's that.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:30 AM   #16
Neb
Account deleted by Request

The most powerful spellcasting class is the Sorcerer, he can cast more spells than any of the others and you don't really need all the variety that the other classes have, I completed SoA using no more than 10-13 different spells, also, he does not need to memorize spells and therefore you don't have to remember to memorize flame arrows or acid arrows against trolls or identify if you suspect that you will find magical items.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:17 AM   #17
Nifft the Nimble

Avengers, Wild Mages and Sorcerers are my favorites.

Cleric/Mages are great, too, but Aerie is there if you want to try one out.

It's really too bad that there isn't an option for a Druid/Mage or Druid/Thief.

-- Nifft
Old 10-17-2001, 10:35 AM   #18
tehmpus
The Magister

Dundee, I wish I could have responded to your note a bit sooner, but Im currently at work. My comment pertained to the character class of your main (personal) character. Im sorry if that wasn't obvious. Certainly rogues and clerics serve important functions in any group. My point was simply that warriors were more powerful than either of those classes in a classic D&D setting, and was a logical choice as a main char in Baldur's gate. My other note was a response to someone who apparently thinks that rogues can whoop up on warriors in single combat *cough*. No matter, I suppose the moral of the story is that a balanced group of classes is certainly best, but we were talking about the power level of the main. That's all.
Old 10-17-2001, 10:48 AM   #19
Byronas

Best Mage : Edwin
Best Druid : Jaheira
Best Cleric : Anomen
Best full spellcaster(!) : Aerie

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-17-2001, 11:51 AM   #20
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tehmpus:
Dundee, I wish I could have responded to your note a bit sooner, but Im currently at work. My comment pertained to the character class of your main (personal) character. Im sorry if that wasn't obvious. Certainly rogues and clerics serve important functions in any group. My point was simply that warriors were more powerful than either of those classes in a classic D&D setting, and was a logical choice as a main char in Baldur's gate. My other note was a response to someone who apparently thinks that rogues can whoop up on warriors in single combat *cough*. No matter, I suppose the moral of the story is that a balanced group of classes is certainly best, but we were talking about the power level of the main. That's all.
Ah I see, hmmmm... although it is the general opinion( at least over at the Black Isle Forums) that the main char is meant to be a Mage/Sorcerer, with Fighter second.

As for Thief vs Fighter... eh... depends on the situation. In a man to man fight, the fighter will most certainly cream the thief, but if the thief uses sneaky tactics such taunting and luring you to a area filled with traps... well you get my point.

Cleric vs Fighter... eh... I guess the Fighter will win. A Mage/Cleric or a Ranger/Cleric will be a different matter though.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips