Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #11
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
How a team that wins the NATIONAL basketball association can claim the title of WORLD champion. Or the winner of the NATIONAL football league, or the NATIONAL hockey league. Can anyone explain that to a simple peasant like me ?

And what about the MLS ? If, let's say the Chicago Fire, wins the championship, are they considered WORLD champs ?
Heh...reminds me of a British comedian doing a stand-up show in NY:

"SO! Well done, America! You're the only super power left now! All the other's've lost it! We had it, but then we lost by saying "Oh, do you think so?" towards the end of the empire. On top of that, you're also world champions at baseball! You beat all those other countries, like...um...ah....them!"

It was a lot funnier watching the show

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #12
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Canada is another country that plays in the MLB, silly english type
Old 12-01-2003, 01:44 PM   #13
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
My god, you mean there's _two_ baseball playing countries? Good lord! What's the world coming too?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:52 PM   #14
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
quote:
My god, you mean there's _two_ baseball playing countries? Good lord! What's the world coming too? [/QUOTE]Coming to be a better place, who knows, America might be kind enough to steal, erm, 'adopt' one of your sports

[ 12-01-2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 12-01-2003, 02:14 PM   #15
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Nah, you yanks don't have the skill for rugby, football or cricket

Old 12-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #16
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Just like everyone else is too wussy for American football *runs*
Old 12-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #17
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Pff, American Football isn't even the toughest sport played among Americans.

I have wondered why they are called World Champions as well. In hockey I usually hear Stanley Cup Champs, not so much world champs.

FYI, I believe the sport of Ice Hockey (Or something like it) was a orginally a Scottish or Irish sport.

Oh well, I haven't figured out why people even bother with other sports aside from Hockey.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 12-01-2003, 03:37 PM   #18
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:
During the time period where these names were born, America was an isolationist country. My guess would be that the rest of the world didn’t matter to America at that time, and as a result, Americans believed they were the world.

So a team winning the “national” championship becomes a “world” champion in the eyes of the isolationist.
LOL silly Americans, don't they realise that their country only accounts for around 5% of the world population? I'd say that was pretty far from American being the whole world [img]tongue.gif[/img] Now if China or India thought they were the whole world, that would be a little more understandable.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-01-2003, 04:13 PM   #19
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Nah, you yanks don't have the skill for rugby, football or cricket
Rugby? Pfft, as if, all you do is beat the crap out of somebody, from what I've seen anyhow [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 12:17 AM   #20
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

Quote:
Gonna teach Jen how to play rugby when she comes over to kiwi land, she might change her tune after that