Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Today I bought a cheap 32 megs USB key as an extra backup for documents I don't want to lose. I've had bad luck with failing hard drives, so I tought if I had an extra backup somewhere else it would be nice.

The problem is that when I put it in a usb slot in my Windows XP, windows detect it as "˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ USB Device" or something like that and says it doesn't have the drivers for it. I've seen the exact same type of usb key used before and they worked fine.

So what could be the problem? Did I just get unlocky and buy a defective one? Anyone seen this happen before? I was planing to buy a one gig one soon for transfers and such, and I'm not so sure now until I know if it's related to my computer or the key...
Old 06-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've never had a problem with the one I've used in the past. My mom, who has it now, has never reported a problem to me either. Have you tried using a different USB port to see if that particular port is bad? Maybe a dumb question, and it could just as easily be the actual drive you purchased, but it pays to be sure. Also, if Windows didn't automatically assign a drive letter to it, you may try to do so manually. I'm not sure if that would work, but it is a thought.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Sounds to me like it's dead, was it second hand?

Generally when the hardware has trouble reading the devices name/data, it assigns a random bunch of numbers/letters to be it's name.

Give it a good blow out, but if that doesn't work, i'm pretty sure its dead.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Try it on another computer. If it fails there, take it back to where you got it and tell them it's bad, and that you've tried it on two different machines.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's new and fresh out of the package. I tried it both on my front and back usb slots, nothing worked.

I'll try a second computer later when I can.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

How old is your computer? Could it be you've got USB1 slots, and the key is USB 2? The key should be backward compatible, but you never know...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

It's 3 years old or so. It's a P4 3Ghz with all the fancy stuff and back then it cost me a lot.

My brother for a while had the exact same type of key and it worked just fine on his old p3 1.2 ghz or so before he upgraded.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

What happens when you let it run it's course of self installing the embedded driver? Not all USB thumb drives are of the same standard.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well the XP installing windows come up and tell me it doesn't have drivers for the ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ USB Device and ask me what I want to do. Nothing work and I have to eventually cancel out and get the "error during installation" message.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Buying a dud USB stick is entirely possible. I recently ginned around for a whole weekend trying to figure out why files stored on my brand new USB were rendered unuseable when i transferred it to another computer three feet away. Try it on a different machine, then exchange it for one that works.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote