Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

I just watched a program focusing on Charlie Chaplin and Hitler among other things. I've never really been A CC fan...not, not one, but silent movies were never my forte. Plus they just weren't on the menu at the time of life when I might appreciate them, seems they were on endlessly as a kid but I didn't care.

Tonight I saw things in a new light. At a time when Hitler was coming to the fore....Chaplin foresaw. He made a home movie in 1928 putting the spikey german helmet atop of a globe, something he was to do later in a major film.

His mimickry, gimickry, parody, humour, timing, foresight, attention to detail, and sheer bollocks astounds me.

For the very first time I saw the closing speech to his film "The Great Dictator". If anyone knows of a link to the film script I'd love it.

I think it was 1932 and he said something along the lines of...

I would rather bring joy to the Jews and the Gentiles, the blacks and the whites....

It's now 2003 and some of us still can't figure it. I need to see and learn some more about this bloke now.....

We've all heard of him but I'm not sure we all understand/understood what he was saying. I know I didn't. This great man was so far ahead of his time going on the little I've learnt tonight...
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-28-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
SecretMaster
Apophis

Yeah, Chaplin was the greatest actor in history. Its kinda Ironic, we just finished learning about the 1920's and Chaplin today, and now someone posts about him.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

He was a great man, not just in his comic acting which I loved as a kid, but in his actions, from those you mentioned above to his formation of United Artists as a way of breaking the old hollywood movie moguls empires. He also stood up to be counted in that sad sad era of macarthyism. Which resulted in him having to leave America and live abroad, killing off any chance of us seeing him in his later years. I read his biography a few years ago and WOW [img]graemlins/crazyeyes.gif[/img] what a life he led. Though I belive he did not treat women too well.

A true hero of mine

Good post Charlie [img]smile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-01-2003, 07:36 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Here you go Charlie!

Hope... I'm sorry but I don't want to be an Emperor - that's not my business - I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like that.

We all want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of life can be free and beautiful.
But we have lost the way.
Greed has poisoned men's souls - has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in: machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me I say "Do not despair".

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the hate of men will pass and dictators die and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as men die [now] liberty will never perish...

Soldiers - don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you and enslave you - who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you as cattle, as cannon fodder.

Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts. You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate - only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers - don't fight for slavery, fight for liberty.

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written "the kingdom of God is within man" - not one man, nor a group of men - but in all men - in you, the people.

You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy let's use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power, but they lie. They do not fulfil their promise, they never will. Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfil that promise. Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

Soldiers - in the name of democracy, let us all unite! . . .

Look up! Look up! The clouds are lifting - the sun is breaking through. We are coming out of the darkness into the light. We are coming into a new world. A kind new world where men will rise above their hate and brutality.

The soul of man has been given wings - and at last he is beginning to fly. He is flying into the rainbow - into the light of hope - into the future, that glorious future that belongs to you, to me and to all of us. Look up. Look up.

I love Charlie Chaplin [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Well done Epona!

And to think that because of that Hitler pisstake and the film where he ended up marching in front of a crowd with a red flag, had him branded as a commy sympathiser and ostracized from his work and his adopted country.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 03-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #6
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks Laura, you're a star.

Considering its age and the shape of the world when that was written, I think that is probably the greatest address I've ever heard.....awesome.

I may nick a bit of that for my sig'. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />