Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello.

I want to install my old WW on my new machine working with Windows 2000.

I have read the technical threads on this great forum, but didnt find a working solution.

So, here it is :
AMD Barton 2500 with 512 M Ram.
Windows 2000 with all service packs.
Direct X 9
Graphic card Geforce FX 5800

When I launched the game first time, I got the intro video Ok then crash back to desktop.
Now, I get nothing but a black screen and then back to desktop.

I decompressed AVI as said in the forum and activated Win95 compatibility for the Deep6.exe launch file.

So please ... Whats my problem ?
I need my WW fix ... and hope for help.

Thank you
Scipion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

A very warm welcome to the board, Scipion. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] You will meet some very nice people here. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am afraid I cannot help you with the problem at hand. I am lousy at handling technical problems. Do not worry, though, our techies will be online soon solving the problem for you I am sure.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Scipion. May you find life in the Gael Serran full of excitement and enthusiasm.

Okay, let's see what else there is...

1. What version vid card drivers are you using?

2. How much virtual memory do you have? Is it fixed or variable?

3. Did you apply compatibility mode to deep6.exe, or to the link which calls it in the Start Menu?

4. What else is running when you try to run W&W?

5. Did you decompress all the .avi files?

Let's start from there and see what happens...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello and first a heartily thank you for your friendly welcome.

As for my problem ...

1. Last version of NVidia vid cart driver : 56.72

2. Virtual memory : Min 768M Max 1536M

3. Compatibility mode only on the shortcut on desktop calling deep6.exe.
I cannot apply it on file itself because I cant have this option in the properties.
I executed the command I found in this forum to activate compatibility with win95, but it appeared only for the shortcut. ...

4. I run multiple programs in background (Norton series and some other utilities).
But again I could have the Intro movie once with this config, and nothing else now ...??

5. I decompressed all the (6) Avi files in the townavi directory.

Can u cure me Doctor ?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:21 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

We like to welcome everyone around here, Scipion... it's part of what makes this forum so enjoyable. "Flame-the-newbie" isn't acceptible in these parts. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Okay, lessee...

1. Virtual memory is best when it's fixed -- min and max at the same level. I'd set them both to 1536MB.

2. Willow, where are you....? Do a search on the forum for "driver" and you should find a number of posts on the topic. Sometimes the most current set of drivers is not the best, and Willow has posted compatible options on a number of occasions. You might consider switching to an older version to see if it works better.

3. I recently came across an old suggestion that dropping down your video acceleration -- on my system, Display Properties/Troubleshooting -- may resolve video problems. Too much acceleration may be bad for an old game like W&W...

4. Try disabling everything except needed programs before running W&W. There have been cases where another program (a filesharing program, IIRC) caused W&W to fail.

5. Have you tried applying the patch? That may or may not help, but it can make a difference.

Let's try that to continue.
-+-+-+
Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #6
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well here is the next step status :

1. I fixed virtual memory
2. Installed prior video driver
3. When I stop video card acceleration, I cant even start WW ... immediate blackout and general failure.If I fix it midway, nothing better.
4. I disable everything else in background
5. I applied the patch

Well no result.

Let me more clear about what happens when I launch the game:

I get the start screen during couple of seconds. Then it asks me to put the disk 3 in reader. I do it. I get the music during 2 or 3 seconds and then ... crash and back to Windows desktop.
Thats it. First time I launched it I got the video intro before the same sequence.

Ack! Bigger problem than expected ?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Disk 3??? I only have two disks on my set...

Instead of turning off acceleration, try just slowing it down one notch at a time.And yes, I'm grasping at straws.

What is your prior video driver version?

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to beg off more suggestions until I can get back home on Thursday. I'm out of town until then.
-+-+-+
Old 05-25-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes sorry its CD 2.

I made up my mind it could be a D3D problem.
For Might and Magic 7, the only way I could make it run was in Software mode.

Is there a way to disable D3D mode (force software mode) at launching point? Something like a command line at startup or an ini file to configure ?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Hmm ok let's see. Why do you start the game with CD1 in your drive? Shouldn't be a problem really.

Changing driver won't matter for you I believe. Since you're using a Geforce FX you need the later driver to get, at least som, speed from your card.

You can't set software mode with a switch. You need to get into the game to do that. Perhaps you can change it in the ini-file, I'll play around some either when I get home or tomorrow.

What resolution is your computer set at? You could try changing to 640*480 high color and try running the game with that, sucks I know.

Also you cold try a full manual install and see what happens. Also install the intel indeo codecs for the opening movie. There's a link to that somewhere on the board. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:34 AM   #10
Scipion
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello Willow!
Thank you for giving me a bit of your time for that kind of problem you are trying to help with for years now ! (I read lots of your posts)

Well changing screen resolution (yes it sucks) and colors ddoesnt solve my problem; already tested.

As for the opening video, I got it clear the first time I launched the game ... So i think there is no Codec problem here.

What do manual install change ?

I am almost sure this problem is linked to D3D compatibility. Do you know anyone running the game in D3D mode while using DirectX 9 and last generation video card ?

There has to be a way to force software mode at game lauch point. I didnt find any ini file ... so may be a parameter in command line?

Thanks again for your help. I could make Might and Magic 6 and 7 run. I am sure it can be done with WW too