Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-18-2004, 02:27 AM   #1
megan row
Elite Waterdeep Guard

good morning,
seems i made a mistake, i killed that scanthril, before i got any quest. this was in the wild days of my youth, when i was quick at hand with killing.
now, wise and experienced, i even left the pair of ugly boogres with their fighting slogans living. anyway i killed all the rest and those most annoying lillies but i found this dungeon quite hard. meanwhile i find i different to get enough sleep to be fit for work.
anyway, i have gotten (say, is is right to say "i have got" or "I have gotten"?) the trick with fullfilling guild quests. i have left too early, i play the unpatched version and- normally and strange enough, i have to enter the guild twice and only than i get the reward. what exactly is the advantage of guild promotion?
now i am heading for the stout mines. i presume, the game gets more and more difficould. (btw i would gladly appreciate corrections of language mistakes)
greetings
mr
megan row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

The idea about guild promotions is that you get to buy more valuable traits the higher your guild standing is.

As to "gotten", I think it is the Ameriacan version of the past participle whereas the British would be "got". I am not quite sure, and generally we do not tend to criticize each other's grammar. But now that you ask... Bungleau has been so kind to lecture me a bit in English grammar in private messages though. But that was only after I corrected his Danish on the forum.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If you killed Scanthril first, you missed out on the assassin quest. It's possible to hack an assassin's dagger into the game so you can get the class change, but it doesn't break anything if you don't do it.

Guild promotions do give you more advanced skills. For example, blessing and enchanting can only be learned once you're guild level 3 in the temple and wizards' guild, respectively.

Guild level 3 and 5 seem to bring new things. Others don't seem to do as much.

And from an American perspective, I think both are acceptible. I tend to use "I have got" when I'm talking about possession (I have got a twenty dollar bill), and "I have gotten" when I'm talking about receiving (I have gotten a twenty dollar bill from the bank).

My own take on the language aspect, as bsftcs has mentioned, is that you write English far better than I write German (und ich can ein bissien schriebe -- yeah, that's butchered!). Most of the folks around here are very tolerant of others and their efforts to communicate.

And a good night to all!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:27 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Guten Abend, Megan.

You are on the very friendly W&W forum, we are not very strict here. I presume you have been taught formal English. We here mainly speak the American dialect. We have been known to have difficulties with our English counterparts, but we all have a great time with it.

The loss of the "Rat" can be very disgruntling if one was to have wanted the 'assassin dagger' You should have completed the quest, and had gotten the dagger prior to his dismissal from the game.
Otherwise, you can re-start from a previous save.

The mines are a bit long for my taste.

Gute Nacht.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
megan row
Elite Waterdeep Guard

guten morgen, allezusammen,
thanks for all the friendly help and i must say i feel very good here. i have remarked that many of the question that i have asked could have been answered by using the "search" option and really nobody of you all have told me, before asking such stupid questions, i should better inform myself and let the others in peace with that.
felix the famous, i am glad to meet you. i have heard, that you have played the gamed to level 200 what i really find admirable. i myself like playing slowly very much.
i intend to start a new game, i think i have made some severe mistakes and i will rather do better than being angry for the rest of the game.
thanks for the verbal information, really i learned english only in school and through use of internet, i never have been in any english speaking country.
have a nice day and special greetings to Oregon, Michigan and Denmark
mr
megan row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Thank you - and the same to you. But really... I believe we would all prefer to be asked the same questions over and over. That way we appear, as Bungleau has stated, wise and all-knowing. With the exception of Wyvern who would never stoop to such tricks since she IS wise and all-knowing.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If you want to start over, you're more than welcome to do so. The game allows that quite handily. But if you want to go to the end, nothing you've done so far will prevent you from being able to complete the game successfully -- you just can't do it.

And I have seen boards like you mention. I don't spend time there, since "flame the newbie" isn't a fun game in my book. We don't play that here...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Glad to read that you enjoy our friendly board, megan!!

Certainly many questions can be answered by using the search but not all answers are necessarily clear to everyone with the same problem. Besides, it's a great way to meet the new players and find out how their game is going!

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" -- she always called me Elwood -- "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:42 AM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Danke Schon.
The game is able to be played not so strict. Sometimes I find it too liberal in it's ways. The only 'Real' mistakes are to be made when you dismiss a NPC before his time. I think that once you have the 'Mavin' you can't make any mistakes that would prevent you from finishing the game.
Ah, but I play solo, so it is easy to achieve the higher levels.
Sometimes one can find way to much using the search, and some of the older post may not be quite as clear as the newer information. Don't hesitate to ask while you are here.
Somewhere around here is a place called the Boogre Bar, though the last time I was there it needed some cleaning. That's a good place to kick off your shoes, put up your feet and enjoy the atmosphere.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote