Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Dogs and rabies?

How can you tell a dog has rabies or not? Can a dog that in it's history that don't have rabies be infected with this disease?

One of my dogs have some sort of saliva stuff sticking and hanging out from it's mouth. It's white coloured. I noticed it when my dog returned after it went outside to some neighbour house.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Re: Dogs and rabies?

From this wikipedia article:
Quote:
Any mammal may become infected with the rabies virus and develop symptoms, including humans. Most animals can be infected by the virus and can transmit the disease to humans. Infected bats, monkeys, raccoons, foxes, skunks, cattle, wolves, dogs or cats provide the greatest risk to humans. Rabies may also spread through exposure to infected domestic farm animals, groundhogs, weasels and other wild carnivores. Rodents (mice, squirrels etc) are seldom infected.

The virus is usually present in the nerves and saliva of a symptomatic rabid animal.[4][5] The route of infection is usually, but not necessarily, by a bite. In many cases the infected animal is exceptionally aggressive, may attack without provocation, and exhibits otherwise uncharacteristic behaviour[5]. Transmission may also occur via an aerosol through mucous membranes; transmission in this form may have happened in people exploring caves populated by rabid bats. The single case of aerosol transmission to people exploring a bat cave has essentially been disproven.[citation needed] As most bats have such small teeth that their bites can barely be felt (may feel like a small prick or bug bite); it is more likely that these people were bitten by a bat unbeknownst to them and contracted rabies in that manner[citation needed].
Take the dog to a veterinarian. Even if it's not rabies other problems (eating something poisonous?) could make it salivate like that. Better safe than sorry...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I was looking for someone who had a first hand experience in this sort of things.

There are so many stories about dogs and rabies but no one out there had even encounter one.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

i encountered one in Cujo. Does that count?

Either way kakero, if the white saliva is still there I would just recommend going to the vet. Chances are he has a much better idea whats bothering your dog then some guys on an RPG forum.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Agreed, and he most likely would not start foaming at the mouth in less than a day. I am no expert but all symptoms don't appear instantaneously, it is most likely something else. Take him to the vet right away poison or something he ate could be causing this.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I know it sounds odd but he probably tried to eat a frog. Mine do it alot, and since frogs release that toxin to deter predators, it makes them froth at the mouth for about 2-3 hours and on/off for about a day. They won't attack one again after that.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Several days now and nothing happens. Probably just a drool.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Better kill it, cook it and eat up quick!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Several days now and nothing happens. Probably just a drool.
Well if it was foaming at the mouth and panting a bit it was probably a bit more. Most likely a frog since you said it went outside. Happens alot here.

Example

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5183814AAwhJa3