Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-29-2001, 11:31 AM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

This question is especially directed at the English pagan minded folk on this forum. What sites in the S. England, SW England area are there? Know any good web sites about the locations of various sites? I don't necessarily mean the well known ones like Stonehenges. Those I can find on my own
Old 09-29-2001, 11:38 AM   #2
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

This might be a good place to start looking. Best of luck

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old 09-29-2001, 11:40 AM   #3
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Hey! Dio! I see you have like 5 threads on the same page....... . trying to out do me eh?

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Old 10-01-2001, 11:25 AM   #4
Epona
Zartan

Dio! Just dredging this off page 5 for ya!

Stonehenge is well known, but what is often ignored is that it is part of a whole prehistoric landscape. Here are some sites:

Stonehenge: The stone circle of course, but also look for the 'Cursus' which is the ancient processional way leading into the stones, and how our ancient ancestors would have come to the site - rather than through the underpass from the carpark If you can, walk around and approach Stonehenge from this angle - it is invisible initially behind the slight rise of the ground, and is a much more enigmatic way to view the monument. Don't be surprised that you can't get up to the stones - being forewarned should minimise the disappointment that many visitors feel.

Silbury Hill (DON'T climb it - it is very damaged at the moment and undergoing repairs) is an ancient man-made conical hill made of chalk. It now has grass growing on it, but was probably pure white in the past.

Woodhenge is the site of a wooden circle - far more common than stone ones, but of course the wood doesn't survive often, so it is mapped out with concrete posts. Woodhenge is situated within a huge ancient monument called the Durrington Walls - a huge 30m earthen structure which is not easily appreciated from the ground as it looks like a natural hill formation - look for the trees on the ridge of the earthworks and then you can follow the horizon round - this is the monument! It is very large though, and is a bit difficult to see from the ground.

Grey Wethers - again near Stonehenge, this is the place where some of the stones came from. The name is an ancient word meaning sheep, because the stones litter a valley and look like a flock of sheep from a distance.

Avebury - A much bigger stone monument, consisting of an avenue of megaliths. Definitely worth a visit, and not fenced off.

Rollright Stones - in Oxfordshire, so perhaps a bit out of your way, this is a much more open stone circle - again it is not fenced off (but as with all ancient monuments, please treat with respect and keep them safe for future generations to appreciate).

Glastonbury - in Somerset. The only place in England where it is difficult to get a meal with meat in it, this is a must. Glastonbury Tor is considered a sacred place by many, and is worth climbing for the view alone. The town itself is crammed with shops selling crystals, incense and other interesting things. There is an old abbey, which is great to look around, and the Chalice Well Gardens is a very lovely place with an ancient well and sacred spring.

I could go on and on - let me know how far SW you intend to go - if you aim on getting as far as Devon or Cornwall I could give you some more ideas - people sometimes don't realise that Britain is absolutely crammed full of ancient stone monuments!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."

[This message has been edited by Epona (edited 10-01-2001).]
Old 10-01-2001, 04:13 PM   #5
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Avebury is an amazing place - there is some power and life left in the stones as opposed to Stonehenge which feels very dead.

Go late in the afternoon - after 5pm and it will be nearly empty. If you take good walking boots you can check out West Kennet longbarrow as well.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:43 PM   #6
Vampire

My house.

No seriously stonehenge wouldn't be bad. No very knowledgable on these matter I'm afraid.

------------------
Old 10-02-2001, 05:35 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Bumping for Diogenes - has he left already?
If you DO see this, and want more info - just ask!

------------------

Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-02-2001, 05:40 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Isn't that giant horse in Britain? I mean that horse which you can see from the sky.. made out of rocks, if I'm right.. But anyway, Stonehenge is definitely something you should visit Dio.

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-02-2001, 06:22 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Isn't that giant horse in Britain? I mean that horse which you can see from the sky.. made out of rocks, if I'm right.. But anyway, Stonehenge is definitely something you should visit Dio.

There are several ancient hill carvings in Britain - they are on chalk hills, with lines carved out of the soil so that the white chalk underneath shows through. There is a particularly good horse at Uffington (there are several horse carvings about), and also the Cerne Abbas Giant is worth a look.
Use a search engine to look for 'Uffington Horse' or 'Cerne Abbas' and you should get some results.

------------------

Old 10-02-2001, 06:33 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

Yeah! That's what I mean, that Giant Horse in Uffington.. I saw it once in Arthur C. Clark's show on Discovery Channel. And that giant.. Isn't there a story about that giant, that there was a woman who couldn't get pregnant, and she was told to sit on the giants **** and then she DID get pregnant?? I heard that once, but didn't know to believe it or not..

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe