Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2001, 03:29 PM   #31
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:
Well, for instance, I used to read the Everlore General Message Board a lot. There, almost all their topics were on politics, or religion.
Didn't I mention religion first? We have also had many a political discussion, from JJ's numerous insights into American politics and the ensuing discussions/arguments to Moiraines French observations and Ramons Deutsch elaborations.

As I said, you haven't read much. This is a very popular board with longtime members. Thus we are often communicating against a backdrop of previous discussions.

Any other "things" you discussed?

Oh BTW Sentinel, it takes two to argue. If you can't handle a counter don't post your opinion You have every right to state what you think, and I to disagree.

And no I don't just 'argue just to argue'. Careful you don't cross the line into flame territory dear sir.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:31 PM   #32
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Yorrick,

I guess I made a mistake. When you said I was being "high and mighty", I thought that was kind of negative. But, if you say it wasn't than that's cool.

Anyway, I guess 'afraid' is not a good way of describing things. What I meant was, I didn't want anyone to take this personally. See, that's why I was trying to be nice in my original post. I guess 'afraid' is a little to strong.

I'm just too used to other 'general' boards. Usually there's a lot of, uh, damn, uh, more, *things* being talked about. I have noticed this is a fairly tight community, so you guys feel really comfortable talking about whatever, and that's cool.

Also, I've been reading this board for about a month, and the others just as long. I guess I was a 'lurker'.

oh well, I hope I've explained things adequitly.

This board may seem like a "tight" community because many of us have had many conversations for months now and have gotten to know eachother pretty well in that time. However, all new posters are usually welcomed with open arms quite readily here and one can fall into our "community" very easily. As this board contains a wide variety of people living in many places scattered around this globe, of all genders and ages, you are likely to notice that things fluxuate and nothing remains the same. Many intelligent conversations have been had, as well as a lot of spamming, joking, role playing, etc. This is to be expected. When you walk into a crowded room in RL, you will never see everyone doing the same thing. It is the same with this board. That is what makes us humans so special, we are NOT all the same. Some people here only like intellectual conversations, some people like to discuss gaming only, some use it to just have immature fun as a way of getting a load off from a hard day of work, some just chitchat, and some do all of the above. Once you get to know each person as an individual, you will find many who share your same interests, and many who do not. I can't see anyone coming here and finding nobody to talk with for a long period of time. We are all unique and I personally respect everyone and their opinions, even if I may disagree.

------------------
Old 04-06-2001, 03:36 PM   #33
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Will do Moraine .

One question for ya though, of the 3 first Wheel of Time novels, which do you like best? See, I just finished the first two, and am waiting for the third.

I love it when someone who complains about spam and offtopic stuff then goes offtopic in the thread. Just makes me grin and think that we've infected another with the spam virus. Soon he will be one of us . . . BWAHAHAHAHA

ehm. I think what we have here is that Sentienl04 was just making an observation that this Gen Dis forum is unlike the others he has been to, where ALL the topics were deeper than SOME of the more light-hearted ones we have on this board. Not a good thing OR a bad thing. Just an observation. I think it just came accross as an attack, but that was all it was . . .Yes?

BK
Old 04-06-2001, 03:37 PM   #34
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Didn't I mention religion first? We have also had many a political discussion, from JJ's numerous insights into American politics and the ensuing discussions/arguments to Moiraines French observations and Ramons Deutsch elaborations.

As I said, you haven't read much. This is a very popular board with longtime members. Thus we are often communicating against a backdrop of previous discussions.

Any other "things" you discussed?

Oh BTW Sentinel, it takes two to argue. If you can't handle a counter don't post your opinion You have every right to state what you think, and I to disagree.

And no I don't just 'argue just to argue'. Careful you don't cross the line into flame territory dear sir.

You missed my point. I said Everlore's message board has more(quantity) serious posts. I didn't say this thread doesn't have any. Yes, that's for as long as I've been here.

I was kidding about the arguing thing, but I doubt you really care.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
Old 04-06-2001, 03:39 PM   #35
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I have to agree with you Sentinel.

I think while some of the topics here are serious and some people try to have a serious discussion, they always end up going off-topic. Either that or they are discussed for a bit and then everyone ends up saying "that is ok you are entitled to your opinion" or "how about we agree to disagree". I am not suggesting a topic should be discussed to the point of 'anger' but it seems like everyone is willing to toss in an opinion but not really ready to get serious! Oh well, once again just my humble opinion

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:43 PM   #36
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
I love it when someone who complains about spam and offtopic stuff then goes offtopic in the thread. Just makes me grin and think that we've infected another with the spam virus. Soon he will be one of us . . . BWAHAHAHAHA

ehm. I think what we have here is that Sentienl04 was just making an observation that this Gen Dis forum is unlike the others he has been to, where ALL the topics were deeper than SOME of the more light-hearted ones we have on this board. Not a good thing OR a bad thing. Just an observation. I think it just came accross as an attack, but that was all it was . . .Yes?

BK
YES OH GOD YES!!! I think the name of the thread was really *bad*. I didn't suspect this my contraversy would come out of my opinion. OH well, I'm glad that some people agree with me .

BTW, When did I complain about offtopic stuff?

------------------

Old 04-06-2001, 03:43 PM   #37
Moiraine
Anubis

Sentinel, don't get too affected by the various reactions to your thread - actually, back on the old Board, one day someone popped up and said he was very annoyed by all the BG II threads going off-topic all the time (there was only one forum back then), and that we all should go away. Unlike you, he was very aggressive, though. And the ensuing discussion got very heated - I think many of us were pretty much affected by this. Again, you were only stating calmly your opinion - my point is, some people here may remain defensive, not wanting such a thing to happen again, but it is not aimed at you at all.

Welcome on board, mate.

------------------

The world is my oyster !

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 04-06-2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 03:49 PM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
You missed my point. I said Everlore's message board has more(quantity) serious posts. I didn't say this thread doesn't have any. Yes, that's for as long as I've been here.

I was kidding about the arguing thing, but I doubt you really care.

Sentinel, you (and Moridin) may be referring to percentages of posts. Why don't you post a link to the Everlore board so I can see what you are refering to. As I have stated I have seen and contributed to plenty of serious posts AND NEVER SEEN YOU THERE. I'd love to see how many members this board has and how often they post. The old version of this board had over 5,000 members. This newer version has less members, but the person with the most posts (Cloudbringer) accumulated the same amount of posts as the old 'title holder' (Armisael) in a little over a month.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-06-2001, 03:51 PM   #39
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
YES OH GOD YES!!! I think the name of the thread was really *bad*. I didn't suspect this my contraversy would come out of my opinion. OH well, I'm glad that some people agree with me .

BTW, When did I complain about offtopic stuff?

Sorry, Mate. Yorick will kill me for this, but I was using a blanket pronoun for both your and Moridin complaints. I consider the off-topic stuff to be a part of spam. But like I said, I am not the one to throw the first can of spam.

DragonBall Z rules, BTW. That's where your sig is from, yes?

BK
Old 04-06-2001, 03:57 PM   #40
Sentinel04
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Sentinel, you (and Moridin) may be referring to percentages of posts. Why don't you post a link to the Everlore board so I can see what you are refering to. As I have stated I have seen and contributed to plenty of serious posts AND NEVER SEEN YOU THERE. I'd love to see how many members this board has and how often they post. The old version of this board had over 5,000 members. This newer version has less members, but the person with the most posts (Cloudbringer) accumulated the same amount of posts as the old 'title holder' (Armisael) in a little over a month.

I quit EQ about a year ago. I'm not sure what the Everlore sight is like right now, but if ya want go read it. I just used it as an example of what I had seen so I could be more clear.

------------------