Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-06-2001, 01:12 PM   #11
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

The general discussion forum, like everything else in life, has it's good points and it's bad. I (like BK) started off spamming to get rank, but the novelty of it died off after a bit. I have gotten some very good advice/support from members of this forum and greatly appreciate that It is a good place to come and blow off steam and to join in some 'good' discussions on world topics/events.

However (of course there has to be an however!) there are what I consider the bad points. The biggest one for me is the fact that no thread can ever stay on topic. No matter what, there are going to be people that start their own little conversation right in the middle of a thread. I feel that this is very rude not only to the person who posted the thread but also to the rest of us that have to wade through it to get to the real topic! I have also noticed a large degree of 'immaturity' (I am going to get hammered for this ) on this forum. I know people come here to escape the RW but come on people, GROW UP, just a little! I am going now to sit in my bomb-shelter

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 04-06-2001, 01:18 PM   #12
Sentinel04
The Magister

These forums are great, though. Whenever I finish a game/book I can always come here find out about a new one to start.

I especially like the book forum.

------------------

You're not lost if you don't care where you are.

[This message has been edited by Sentinel04 (edited 04-06-2001).]
Old 04-06-2001, 01:20 PM   #13
Moni

Just to add in my own defense...I have never spammed for the sake of gaining rank. I never post unless I have something to say, like now LOL!

You can see though by me rank that I have had quite a lot to say! (mostly game related in the W&W forum or general conversation with the friends I have acquired there). I think I would have to be here for years for it to reach the thousands though! We'll see!

Moni

Old 04-06-2001, 01:29 PM   #14
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi Moni!

Ehm. Yes, there is a pattern of threads going off-topic at times. Have you ever tried to run a group discussion, taught a class, or organized a meeting? It is part of human nature to want to add to a discussion, then try to relate that to your life in some way, which sparks a question about you, then you relate that story, then someone else chimes in . . . BAMB off topic. It can be annoying, and we all try not to do it. It just happens. I don't think it is meant as a slight to the originator of the topic, it is just human nature.

BK
Old 04-06-2001, 01:38 PM   #15
Moni

Black Knight,

Yes, I have been guilty of that...had someone's thread in the W&W forum turn into a gardening conversation! Looking forward to having chats available! That ought to take care of alot of that!

Moni

Old 04-06-2001, 01:49 PM   #16
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, Moni! Actually, there's nothing wrong with a topic running aground (like the gardening one), especially if it's been milked for all the information that it can give. The only thing is, on interesting "off topic" conversations, they may be buried under topics that no one would know they were there, which is why I like to post them under their own heading with the disclaimer *OFF TOPIC* so that people looking for real information can skip over them.

One could argue, after all, that my GS Examiners were off topic. Nanobyte tried that once, you know. It very nearly stopped my posting them anymore. I'm glad Wyvern set me straight on that one, LOL!

I, too, think having chatrooms at Ironworks will probably take a lot of the load off of the discussion threads, as some of them seem to be almost like a chatroom if you're reading through them.

One other thing: I'm glad to see W&W Forum people coming here to talk. We tend to be a rather insular bunch, almost elitist I would say, and it's good to see some networking going on now with the other forums. More power to it!

-Sazerac
Old 04-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #17
Moiraine
Anubis

The only time I got very distressed with spamming was when the new Board came up and everybody was racing to post for the sake of posting. It was very distressing because nobody would pay attention to other people. I kept saying Hello, and nobody would answer - I almost got away then. Because I haven't got much time to read and post, and an expensive and rather slow home Internet connexion, so I felt kicked out ... But now spamming has cooled down pretty much - and more important, spamming is not an issue as long as you pay attention to other people's posts.
Besides, if you really want a thread to go back on topic, most of the time you have only to quote a post from the beginning of the post and reply. I have done that several times - and most of the time, it works !

------------------

The world is my oyster !
Old 04-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #18
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Saz - I agree, I'm glad I came here and I'm all for the Ironworks chatroom.
I really don't mind about the spam but I agree with Sentinel04, it can be exhausting.

I'll be keeping an eye on this forum for new topics, news, and newbies!

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
Old 04-06-2001, 01:57 PM   #19
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel04:
Anyway, I'm not trying to diss the board, because it does provide entertainment at work, but some these threads cough*spam*cough seem a little, uh, light on the intellectual content?

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Guess you haven't read many threads then Sentinel. I'd say it's just you. Gotta dig deep to find meaning in life and same with a forum. There have been very meaningful discussions, conversations, arguments and sharing. Before you make a "high and mighty" statement like this I suggest you familiarise yourself with that which you are critiquing.

Thanks for reading.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 04-06-2001, 02:02 PM   #20
Moni

Saz,

Thanks for removing my guilt over the thread that went "to the garden"

I am grateful that Wyv set you straight on the GSE not being off topic! I still can't believe Nano even suggested it after all his/her failed polls and !

Sentinel, seriously, next time you are bored, check in at the W&W Forum and read the Gael Serran Examiner! You will be spending you spare time getting a lot of good laughs, chuckles and guffaws! What is better than laughter other than love? I can't think of anything!

Moni