Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-15-2001, 08:54 PM   #1
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

I've been trying to use jaheiras summoning insect swarm on maages but they can still cast their magic spells...whats up with that! there is absolutely no interuption of spells! comments would be grewatly appreciated....thanx
Old 07-15-2001, 10:48 PM   #2
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Well summon insects is a useful spell but if you are refering to the spell everyone goes bonkers over (and rightfully so) its called insect plague not summon insects. Summon insects is a level 3 spell I think. That works pretty well. Insect Plague is a level 5 spell and is VERY powerful. Its one of the most useful anti mage spells there is hands down! It is absoluty impossible to cast with insect plague on you (I think sequencers can still fire with a plague on you though?). I think some creatures have abilities that can still trigger when a plague is on them but they can't cast spells...
Old 07-16-2001, 02:08 AM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

and then of course there is creeping doom at 7th level

the mage may have some magical protection that is screwing w/ your spell - it is tougher to protect against the 5th level version - and pretty much impossible on the 7th level (though I imagine a stoneskin w/ many layers would do it).
Old 07-16-2001, 02:35 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Summon Insects (3rd level) has a saving throw; Insect Plague (5th level) and Creeping Doom (7th level) spell descriptions talk about saving throws to avoid some effects, but not all. Insect Plague, if not targeted directly on an intended target, ignores invisibility.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....

Who are you? What do you want?
Old 07-16-2001, 06:41 PM   #5
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

I used insect Plague against .....*spoiler*****
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
Irenicus! and yes it was very nice indeed
Old 07-16-2001, 06:44 PM   #6
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Insect plague and creeping Doom also hit multiple enemies unlike the insect swarm spell which only affects a single target.

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 07-17-2001, 07:26 AM   #7
bogong
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Cavern Sniffer:
Insect plague and creeping Doom also hit multiple enemies unlike the insect swarm spell which only affects a single target.

Insect plague as it swarms over your enemies can cause them to take fright (as seen by their circles turning yellow) and run off.
It can also finish off those badly wounded guys who try and slink away.

But you can be in BIG trouble of some smarty pantz mage reflects it back on your boys ....... Jaheira got so distressed.

Old 07-17-2001, 07:33 AM   #8
Vampire

often a good way to see how effective it is is to do it on yourself.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:07 AM   #9
Jeannada
Dungeon Master

Problem with non-interuption is often when a mage has a sequencer memorized. Like what those Liches do i think. Then i have to cast Pierce magic or remove magic or some such.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:15 AM   #10
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

Insect Plague ignores stoneskin. It also give 4 AC penalty to the victim.