Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2001, 04:32 AM   #1
netraM
Elite Waterdeep Guard

After you get the Cloak of Mirrors the game becomes to easy.I went from a six man party to a two man party after Id got the cloak , it wasnt as fun as before after that.

Why not just take it of, you ask. Well when I play a game I want to do the best I can , if I have to restrict my self it destroys the game, no fun anymore.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:38 AM   #2
Altranan
Dungeon Master

What class of character are you using?
I use it on mages, since they're at the back anyway. Imagine it's like a spell trigger for protect from magic or somesuch. My mage has such crappy HP he could be killed quite easily with a bow and arrow anyway!
If you equip one of your front tanks with it, then I can see how it may be too useful.

Altranan
Old 04-05-2001, 05:30 AM   #3
dafan

well skip the cloak then

------------------

I'm a protector of good

a seeker of truth

a symbol of light
Old 04-05-2001, 07:38 AM   #4
Lord Shield

Yep! The cloak was there, I think, for the poor sods that got frustrated with beholders

Old 04-05-2001, 07:52 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

FWIW, the Cloak of Cheating should never have been put into BG2. It totally unbalanced the game and made beholders look like puny balloons.

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.
Old 04-05-2001, 08:04 AM   #6
Lord Shield

True enough. Without the Cloak, Beholders would have been up there in the "which is most dangerous monster" thread. Instead, they have Dragon, Liches and Mind Flayers. With the Cloak of Mirrors on, I summoned 20 Gauths and slaughtered them (or, more precisely, Mazzy slaughtered them). My 1st character never found the Cloak and Beholders were much more challenging

Old 04-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

I totally agree! Both the Cloak of Mirroring and the Shield of Balduran are extremely cheesy. I always found beholders in pen-and-paper games to be far more challenging than even dragons. Their intelligence, the central eye's anti-magic field, the 10 eyestalk spells....

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 04-05-2001, 08:11 AM   #8
dafan

agree but it's up to everyone to use it so why complain..you can always choose no one force you to use it

------------------

I'm a protector of good

a seeker of truth

a symbol of light
Old 04-05-2001, 08:17 AM   #9
Lord Shield

So there. The best P&P take-down I know of was a game I was running. It had a Gargantuan Beholder. First, the fighter (with Girdle/G-Strength) blinded its Central eye (you can't target eyes in BG). Then my brother's mage cast Timestop
followed by:
Delayed Blast Fireball
Wall of Iron
Dissolve (on ceiling)
>
The fireball burnt the remaining eyestalks
The ceiling sloshed onto the beholder within the iron container (oops! wall)
Then he cast Harden (reverse of Dissolve).
Then, the beholder now given a concrete overcoat, they rolled it off a cliff
Wheeeeee!

Old 04-05-2001, 08:24 AM   #10
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well...these rants come up fairly regularly. The simple answer, as Dafan so correctly provided, is that if you don't like an item then sell it. Do you use the Holy Avenger, Carsomyr? That item can be unbalancing if used incorrectly. Do you use the Ring of Gaxx? That also can be unbalancing. I could go on and on about almost any item...

Now...since we're all sharing opinions, here's mine: If I could make one suggestion to Bioware, I would suggest that the Cloak of Mirroring have a finite number of charges...after which it is unusable. Like, maybe 20-30 charges...

Just my 2 cents...

------------------

My *God* man...would you *please* eat something!?