Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-11-2001, 12:17 PM   #1
Tenk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Here is a question for all of you people who like to solve stuff. I can't figure this one out myself. Ok. If a person were to fall from a high place (meaning a fall that could kill) while standing on a large platform, and jumped off of the platform right before it hit the ground, would he live? This one has me stumped. And all you daredevils out there, don't try this one at home .
Old 11-11-2001, 12:19 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

My educated guess would be that he would still die, or seriosuly injure himself, but i don't have a clue to be honest. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2001, 12:25 PM   #3
Moni

I think he'd die. The opposing force of the jump upward at the last second shouldn't be enough to counter the force of the fall downward.
(But what do I know? [img]tongue.gif[/img] )
::
Hi Tenk!

Old 11-11-2001, 12:26 PM   #4
Sorcerer Alex

Gosh, I've thought about this same thing, and it has me pretty stumped too! Like stepping out of a car door while on the highway, doing 120 km/h.... I'm really curious about things like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2001, 12:29 PM   #5
Lioness
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Tenk:
And all you daredevils out there, don't try this one at home .

*starts to climb up on her roof* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2001, 12:30 PM   #6
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Gosh, I've thought about this same thing, and it has me pretty stumped too! Like stepping out of a car door while on the highway, doing 120 km/h.... I'm really curious about things like that [img]tongue.gif[/img]

According to my cackullations, 120KM/h=3.5M/h. So, you won't get hurt much.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:32 PM   #7
Moni

Well, I can tell you this:
A cat jumping off of a branch that is breaking is not going to get the same lift off of it that he would if it was sturdy enough to hold his weight. In other words, the kitty takes a dive with the branch unless he gets enough of a boost to hang on to the edge of what he was jumping to. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I know it has no revelance to your question.
I belong in the MAD Asylum thread, I know.
OK I'm going!

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 11-11-2001, 12:33 PM   #8
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:

*starts to climb up on her roof* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ach, she's okay. Spamkittens always land on their feet.

And you've got the marshmallow cloud... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2001, 12:46 PM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

If you jump from a platform that is currently falling, there is not as much resistance for you to gain the momentum you would need to break the downward thrust. You might lessen the impact, but would not likely be able to totally negate it. The main reason being that as you push against the platform, you will be increasing the force pushing it downwards (gravity). Thereby increasing the speed of the platform's descent. Not by a great degree, granted, but still adding slightly. What you would need is something portable that could increase your own downward thrust to the point that you could overcome gravity and your already present velocity. Ergo some kind of coil system or something embedded into the platform that could push you away (possibly via a remote trigger). This, of course, would have to be calculated to a precise moment so that the "push" that you get would be able to safely deposit you to the ground and not another freefall. Also, you would have to engineer the spring to be able to give you just the specific amount of push to negate the acceleration/gravity so that you would not get too much of a push and then be deposited up in a tree or somewhere else. Very tricky stuff that.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:48 PM   #10
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
If you jump from a platform that is currently falling, there is not as much resistance for you to gain the momentum you would need to break the downward thrust. You might lessen the impact, but would not likely be able to totally negate it. The main reason being that as you push against the platform, you will be increasing the force pushing it downwards (gravity). Thereby increasing the speed of the platform's descent. Not by a great degree, granted, but still adding slightly. What you would need is something portable that could increase your own downward thrust to the point that you could overcome gravity and your already present velocity. Ergo some kind of coil system or something embedded into the platform that could push you away (possibly via a remote trigger). This, of course, would have to be calculated to a precise moment so that the "push" that you get would be able to safely deposit you to the ground and not another freefall. Also, you would have to engineer the spring to be able to give you just the specific amount of push to negate the acceleration/gravity so that you would not get too much of a push and then be deposited up in a tree or somewhere else. Very tricky stuff that.

That about sums that up.

Hiya, Tobbin! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Haven't seen you around for a while.