Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-24-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
tequila
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have played and beaten BGI and BGII and was playing IWD. Is it just me, or does IWD seem to lack enough depth to really keep you interested. For a while, I thought I liked IWD better than BG, but after a while, I seemed to get bored. Maybe it was the very linear storyline. Not sure.

Started BGII again as solo elf ftr/mage. It really makes the game so different to go it alone and not depend on others. Very radical going from 6 in a party to 1. The first time thru, it was always a given that I had 6. The hard part was deciding who the other 5 would be.

Bottom line is that it is very cool to pick this game up again and be really geeked about it again after playing IWD or anything else for that matter. I must say, it was ToB that got me interested in BGII. Wanted to start from BGII to get the specials at the end before I started ToB (as I deleted my ranger that beat it).
Old 07-24-2001, 11:37 PM   #2
Laurel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I totally agree with you. I tried playing IWD after I beat BGII (when i was waiting for TOB to come out). It couldn't keep my interest at all. You just can't go to hugo after owning a ferrari. I think that the character interaction and romances in BGII was really what made it so much better than IWD. It's so multi-faceted, while IWD is, like you said, so linear.
I also liked the fact that in BGII you could go anywhere and take on any quest, at any time. You have the freedom to basically do whatever you want, whereas in IWD you have to follow a very specific path to complete the game.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:55 PM   #3
Tananda
Elminster

I couldn't play IWD too after magnificent BG2. Howewer, this depends on playing stile - a lot of people enjoy IWD. As for me, I have so bored with speechless party members ! In BG2 every NPC is alive with his individual features, with his own temper... How could one travel without speaking a word to the rest of the party?
Old 07-25-2001, 02:56 AM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Its all about taste I guess. I personally prefer IWD's atmosphere to BG2. Everything just looks cooler. Its like Unreal versus brown-grey-gold Quake.

I just wish IWD had BG2's kits and proficiences.

I just like using my imagination with the group I created with IWD instead of having preset characters. Most of them were a pain..
------------------
Why?

[This message has been edited by Lifetime (edited 07-25-2001).]
Old 07-25-2001, 04:28 AM   #5
trux

I prefer some of IWD's graphics, as they have some good looking dungeons/areas, and I like the way their spells look, but it's far too didactic and hack & slash for me. Sure, BGII has it's hack & slash moments, but in IWD that's all I seem to do.

Also, having no NPC's is pretty boring.

------------------
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 10:23 PM   #6
tequila
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree that the lack of kits made IWD very boring. A thief in IWD is a waste after level 9 or so. You max out all 4 abilities! Then what? No set traps or detect illusion. I found I liked creating my own party, but I found going solo in BGII was about the same. Not too high on the NPC's in BGII, so I just leave home without them.

good gaming to you all.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:53 PM   #7
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Luckily for me I discovered Icewind Dale first. I think what kept me into it was the fact that I was playing a multi-player game with my brother and my dad. Kresselack's Tomb, 6 of us, 50 of them. "Ooooooohhhhh shiiiiiiit"

But yes, now that I've just begun to play Shadows Of Amn I must say that though I am still faithful to IWD, it's just too hack-and-slash. Though you must admit, the character portraits in IWD are WAY better then anything in SOA.

-Killing Spree-
"I dunno... Should I ressurect him?"
Old 07-25-2001, 11:05 PM   #8
trux

I kinda wish I would've found IWD first so BG didn't spoil it for me. My party is just kinda wasting away in some dungeon because I just can't take playing it anymore; and I want to 'cause I want to see HoW and the new downloadable expansion.

------------------

a bunch of long hairs.
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 11:24 PM   #9
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

trux-

Well I stopped after I found Shadows Of Amn, my male counterparts stuck with Icewind Dale. My dad beat Heart Of Winter by "casually" playing for about a week. (I watched his final dragon battle- WAY TOO EASY!) Then my little brother went on to Luremaster, he found it unreasonably hard, even with his cheated characters. Though, I've said this before:
"He is the child who just learned today that the hide in shadows mode wears off when you stand right next to a torch"

-Killing Spree-
~Who tommorow is going to play through Bodhi's stupid maze~
Old 07-26-2001, 12:44 AM   #10
ebayles
Dungeon Master

I found IWD first, and I have to say that I liked it better so far. The linear part of IWD may have been boring to some, but the quests in BG2 are a little overwhelming. Everything seems to need to happen right away-save the poison sister, go to the keep, etcetera.....and its impossible to know what DOES have to happen right away. Got so bad that I stopped playing for a while because I felt i might be missing a crucial quest...
Also, I like starting with all my own characters and bringing them along. Having some one already be at LVL 7 with certain characteristics is not as interesting to me.
BUT...BG2 is obviously way more in depth. I finished IWD relativeily easily...and I'm no star.
Lastly, seems like you really need to know the ins and outs of ADND for BG@-all the crazy protection spells and stuff. I imagine if you really knew your stuff, this would be great. But for someone who doesnt really know the finer points, its tough to learn, and some battles are just way out of hand because I dont know what negative planar protection does.....

just my $.02//////