Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-20-2001, 09:11 PM   #1
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I thought seeing this is a Baldurs gate board I should post some sort of advice thing for the game. We've had debates on different character classes all over the place but I thought we should have them all in the one spot so players can go there, particularly newbies, and learn all about the different classes. Feel free to post your own advice, tactics, advantages etc of the different classes. There are a lot of experienced players here so we might as well tap into it. I'll open the batting so to speak with my favourite character class-
THE FIGHTER: I'll mostly be dealing with a pure class fighter here. Feel free no ignore or modify some things depending on your kit. General advice first. Make sure your strength, dexterity and constitution are all 18. Keep rolling till you get a high strength percentile (the number next to the 1 goes from 01-00. Charisma is probably the next most important as the fighter will probably be the leader of the party. There is a ring to give charisma 18 but you want to save the ring slots for rings of protection and regeneration. The fighters main advantage is the increased weapon mastery so put five slots in the one weapon, preferrably a melee weapon. Think carefully about how you want to use your fighter and pick proficiencies accordingly. You can go two different ways a) strict melee. Give him two weapon style. It's better to have two of the same weapon than two diffrent ones. May have a hand weapon and missile weapon but doesn't spend slots on the missile weapon at first. Puts slots in either single or double handed weapon stlye. May carry a shield in which case best melee weapon is axe so you can use throwing axes too.b) Archer. has five slots in longbow or crossbow. c) Bit of both. May have five slots in a melee weapon then their last slot in missile weapon. May split them evenly.
The point is think very carefully about how you want to use them.
Best weapon choices: The new player should put five slots in axes then the last one in sword and shield style. Great hand and throwing axes can be gained early in the game. Will dfeal out lots of damage in melee and shooting and can carry a shield. Most of the time you'll be fighting close combat so better to put slots in melee skills first, five in a weapon then others in the appropriate weapon style. Single weapon style can be a good choice if you want to use a bow still as it still gives you an armour class bonus and increases chances of critical hits, resulting in even more damage caused.
GAMEPLAY- Don't be afraid to run into the thick of the fighting. You'll deal out massive damage and have the best armour and hit points in the party probably. Always carry heaps of healing potions in your quick slots. But don't get overwhelmed. try to lure several monsters out of a group and destroy them piecemeal. Protect the weaker members of the party. A fighter is a flexible character that can continue dealing out damage long after the mages have run out of spells. Most enemy mages will be destroyed in several hits. A high level, well equipped fighter is more than a match even for the dragons in the game.
BEST WEAPONS- Celestial fury(katana), Crom Fayr(warhammer), Vorpal sword(2 handed sword), Warblade(2 handed sword), Frostreaver(axe), Tansherons bow(short bow), Azure edge(throwing axe), Strong arm(long bow) The Guide(cross bow)
USEFUL ITEMS- Ring of regeneration, Ring of protection, Ring of gax, Boots of speed, one of the girdles of strength.
There we go. that's enough for now. Will add more tactics at a later date.
Old 02-21-2001, 03:27 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

*BUMP*
Old 02-21-2001, 08:18 AM   #3
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Cmon guys. Let's make this really useful. No one needs to go overboard like I did. Just a few pointers. tactics for characters will be the first thing most newbies will look for so lets get all the data in the one spot. We all may learn something while we're at it. This is a BG2 forum remember.
PS Accord thanks for the bump. Took me way too long to type this thing just for it to disappear.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:38 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Ok, ok, sorry..
Well Ranger.
Ranger classes are pure Ranger, Stalker, beastmaster and Archer.
Pure Ranger, Archer and Stalker is what I have played wont mention anything else.
Ranger is an allround fighter with some small magic. Takes long time to advance in level but gains a good bonus on prefered enemies, choose this one carefully, vampires, beholders dragons, undeads and so on. Choose a commom one that way you will get good value of it.
The Rangers strength is that he willbe able to wield alot of weapons since he can only specialize in them and he gets two slots in two weapon fighting from start. Good point to raise that to three immediatly. The ranger can also hide in shadows and spy ahead if you want your thief to specialize in lockpicking and traps for eaxample. The ranger also gains some small spells from the druid class selection.
Good way to use is to sneak ahead scout and support a fighter or stand back and shoot arrows. Perfect as rearguard with bow and two weapons, just so,e clicks and from distance fighter to close combat. The ranger gets some special quests and a nice cabbin in the game if you play your cards right...
Archer, can only put one proficiecy i weapon except in Bows with which he can bacame, don´t remember sorry.. but he is good at it and gains special features such as aim which will give him better chance to hit. Archer are very good in the beginning but later on the +2 arrow problem spoils alot of his use due to some monsters must be hit by +3 weapon or better to take damage.. Good though to take out the minions of greater foes. Give ice arrows and he will piss off most wizards and clerics you will encounter.
The stalker (see vaylghar a name I hate..) can backstab but cannot wear heavy armour. Otherwise as a Ranger.
Well some info and some small tips.
Rangers later in the game can have cure light and armour of faith for example to make them a bit more useful.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:01 AM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Paladin:

Kits: Inquisitor, Undead Hunter & Calavier.

Abliities:
Paladin (true class)= Wepon specializtion, can cast limited priest spells (lv.4 max), turn undead, detect evil, protection from evil, lay hands (heals 2pnts of damage per level once per day)

Inqusitor: Same as paladin but cant cast turn undead or priest spells or use lay on hands, can cast dispel magic and true seeing (a godsend when fighting mages)

Calvalier: Same as paladin but has 20% resistance to acid and fire, is immune to fear and poision, can cast remove fear has bonus damage and THACO against femons and dragons. Cant use missile wepons (bow, sling etc..)

Undead Hunter= Same as paladin but is immune to level drain and hold person, has bbonus to hit vs. undead.

All of the paladins are excellent figters (and can obtain one of the best wepons in the game) and can survive comfortably during big fights. A good choice for the first time player thanks to good combat skils, hig hit points and high charisma (people are nice to you!) For the first time through the game give your paladin proficiencies in 2 handed swords and long bow, you'll thank me later on!

As noted above, dont try to bite off more than you can chew while in combat, utilize all memebers of your party. If playing as a kit casting supportive spells can nulifiy some enemy magic on your party (ie, remove fear, dispel magic & true seeing). The priest spells are of monor note but can be useful to have a backup healer in your party! The same for lay on hands, poor at early stages but can cure almost 40 pnts of damage instantly at the top levels!
Old 02-21-2001, 10:14 AM   #6
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i can't even tell you how much a thief is needed.they are great scouts and good at taking out mages before they become a problem.backstabbing is such a great ability and nessesary evil that it stopes most fights before they become a fight.my kensai/thief can backstab for an average of 200pts of damage that there isn't anything out there that can take a hit like that(yes i know Stealth that he is Bhaal daddy )with lock picking and trap detection i'm not sending a fighter to do a thieves job.i say you have to a least have a thief or part thief with you.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:41 PM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

*BUMP*
Old 02-21-2001, 01:46 PM   #8
Patriarch
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Undead Hunter kit cant use 'Lay on Hands' (that is the disadvantage of the kit)
Old 02-21-2001, 01:48 PM   #9
BLACK KNIGHT

Mages - none.

Actually, mage spells are really useful. Going against a big fight, throw two fireballs into the room, Cloudkill, Web, Magic Missle, monster Summoning, and the list goes on and on. It's knowing which spells to memorize when that makes a mage such a challenge to play.

BK

Old 02-21-2001, 02:04 PM   #10
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I'm enjoying playing a monk. The going was a little rough at first, but there are alot of benefits. Stunning blow is great and now that I am level 13 I have the quivering palm (instant death against anything if it fails its save throw). Magic resistance, immunity from poison, hands are currently 2+ weapons, healing spells, stealth ability, "lay on hands." Can't wear amour, but what the hell. With each level the benefits get better and better.