Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following people do you know((Estonians)?
Mena Suvari 19 57.58%
Mart Poom 2 6.06%
Arvo Pärt 9 27.27%
Vanilla Ninja 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2004, 03:54 AM   #11
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
I have heard somewhere that the Estonian reds (wine) are often under-appreciated [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'm not sure, but that's possible. I didn't really know if we make them, hehe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
As I may have mentioned before, my brother-in-law lived in Estonia for two years and speaks fluently.
That is all I know of Estonia.
Funny, you did mention it a very long time ago, somewhere in the first half of 2002, I believe. Anyhow, that's very cool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Hmmm... I'm the other person who knows of Mena Suvari, and I can't remember why I know her.

*sigh* Yet another part of the world I'm woefully ignorant of. That makes.... three hundred and seventeen.
Yeah, as Downunda said, Suvari's the chick from American Beauty and American Pie.

Don't worry at all about not knowing about Estonia. There are only about 1 mil of us left in the world(the population is 1,4, but almost 30% of those are Russians).

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
I only know Mart Poom mate, sorry [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Heh, knowing one is something already, if you look at the current results.

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Where is Estonia? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Like Gokuzool showed, Latvia to the south, Finland to the north, Russia to the east. By blood, Estonians have ties with the Finnish and Hungaric.

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I'm sort of hoping that someone will claim they've heard of all of them, and you say, "Surprise! I made #5 and #3 up."
Heh, so sad - so sad, but these are all existing people, some more, some less famous outside Estonia.

Hmm, should've I also asked about the singer/actress Hanna-Liina Vősa? She plays the main female character in a popular Grease musical in the US, to which she was chosen out of 1000 actresses [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] She also used to live in my county(Viimsi) and go to my school, and I occasionally see her in Chrismas, when she comes back to Estonia and sings in the local church [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Old 02-29-2004, 05:02 AM   #12
Grojlach
Zartan

I only recognise composer Arvo Part from that list, actually.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:27 AM   #13
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Same as Groj, only Arvo Part (and I wasn't even all sure that a composer was what he was 'till Groj said so).
Old 02-29-2004, 05:49 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

I'm sorry dude, I only knew Arvo Pärt as well (I'd heard of some of the others, but I didn't know who they were so that doesn't count). I know you take pride in your country and I think you've tested the general knowledge of Estonia on Ironworks before.
But for what it's worth, I know the works of Pärt quite well and think he's a great composer. And for brownie points, I know *another* Estonian composer, whose work we're actually singing with my choir right now: Sisask. I don't know any of his works aside from the Gloria Patri hymns we're doing, but I like those a LOT.

Well, enough apologising - you've probably never heard of many Dutch stars either. And that's OK, just as it's OK not many people will have heard of the people you listed. We can always learn from each other. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-29-2004, 06:48 AM   #15
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

A great idea USS. Mel has actually made me kind of curious as to how well known our Dutch stars really are. Maybe I'll conjure up a similair poll [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

I was thinking the same thing Dreamer. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Maybe it would be fun to first do a poll with open questions, like "Who is the Dutch Prime Minister and who was the PM before that?" and "What's the first name of the current Queen?". I have no idea how well known these things are.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #17
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
A great idea USS. Mel has actually made me kind of curious as to how well known our Dutch stars really are. Maybe I'll conjure up a similair poll [img]smile.gif[/img]
They are VERY well known.... until you reach the Belgian border. It stops there. Seriously, the status of "star" is being given away a little too easy these days if you ask me. I was reading an article the other day, about who would be the best choice for the part of Lara Croft, and Froukje de Both thought she would be perfect for the part, except she thought, and i quote, "i'll probably don't stand a chance, because they'll be looking for someone with bigger boobs and lips". And i thought "eeeerm.... no Froukje.... you don't stand a chance because you are petty little Dutch soapactress, nobody outside of Holland has ever heard about you OR cares about you".

To get back on topic, i know Mart Poom because he plays football, that's it. All the others are abracadadra to me.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:23 AM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

Well doh, I wasn't expecting anyone to know the likes of Froukje de Both (I actually met her a few times - she shops at H&M's )

But I'm thinking more along the lines of famous Dutch people from history - Rembrandt, van Gogh, de Spinoza, Huygens, Sweelinck, Anne Frank, van den Vondel, etc.

Edit: sorry for the offtopics, Uss!!!

[ 02-29-2004, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 02-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hmm this is a good idea. I might do one about Hungarians if you don't mind me stealing the idea, uss [img]smile.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-29-2004, 08:32 AM   #20
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hmm this is a good idea. I might do one about Hungarians if you don't mind me stealing the idea, uss [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeah, let's see how many people know Ferenc Puskas.