Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2001, 06:40 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Here's the scenario. You go to a job interview on Thursday and are given the job on Friday. On Monday you decide you deserve a £47k pay rise so you award it to yourself. 'It can't happen!' you say. Well that is what Tony Blair, our illustrious Prime Minister, has done. Just to make things worse he has given all of his ministers a huge rise as well. Now where was that in his manifesto?
- I must have missed it.

BTW 'Tony Blair MP' is an anagram for 'I'm Tory Plan B'

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-12-2001, 06:42 AM   #2
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Here's the scenario. You go to a job interview on Thursday and are given the job on Friday. On Monday you decide you deserve a £47k pay rise so you award it to yourself. 'It can't happen!' you say. Well that is what Tony Blair, our illustrious Prime Minister, has done. Just to make things worse he has given all of his ministers a huge rise as well. Now where was that in his manifesto?
- I must have missed it.

BTW 'Tony Blair MP' is an anagram for 'I'm Tory Plan B'

Dont worry, that money is taken from surpluses in the NHS and Transport budgets

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

[This message has been edited by Sir_Tainly (edited 06-12-2001).]

Old 06-12-2001, 07:02 AM   #3
Lord Shield

Don't get me wrong, I don't support Labour and I think they're crap. However, remember that they refused their full pay entitlement over the previous 4 years

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-12-2001, 07:23 AM   #4
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
Don't get me wrong, I don't support Labour and I think they're crap. However, remember that they refused their full pay entitlement over the previous 4 years

Well the thing is thta if someone can get a £47,000 rise then something is wrong with their full entitlement unless TBs pay is *very* low to start with.

------------------

Old 06-12-2001, 07:24 AM   #5
Sir_Tainly

What about performance related pay for ministers????

------------------

Old 06-12-2001, 07:38 AM   #6
Lavindathar
Harper

I have to say, I'm only 16 and my family support Labour. And Mr.Blair didn't accept his full pay rise,so I think he mite be entitled to it this year.

I just hope Labour do something with our country.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lavindathar (edited 06-12-2001).]
Old 06-12-2001, 07:43 AM   #7
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
I have to say, I'm only 16 and my family support Labour. And Mr.Blair didn't accept his full pay rise,so I think he mite be entitled to it this year.

I just hope Labour do something with our country.

But to be fair his rise was three times the average wage for the country!!!

------------------

Old 06-12-2001, 07:43 AM   #8
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
What about performance related pay for ministers????

The ministers would end up owing US!!!
Do something for our country? They only buggered up the NHS, the police, the transport system (I can non longer take a single bus to work. I now have to do bus AND tram - which is over double the fares), and the schools (several have closed). Petrol went up a ton so I can no longer afford to drive to work. They let thousands of immigrants in the country and gave them free housing/cars/spending money (whereas people like myself are struggling to keep the bills in our own homes), they increased taxes 45 times, they reneged on the fox-hunting ban, etc. Oh, and they taxed everything people on better salaries have. My personal pension plan now gets taxed, company cars get taxed, gifts from your employer get taxed.
What will they do this time? Tax our sandwich trolley facilities at work?

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
http://lordraptor0.tripod.com/index.html

Old 06-12-2001, 08:25 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Yes, I left out the bit about not accepting the rise for the past 4 years. What has made me angry is the timing. Why not last week, or even last year?

SirT, performance related pay for ministers is a great idea! How much does Keith Vaz owe us now?

For the sake of balance I have another anagram. Virginia Bottomley is an anagram of 'I'm an evil Tory bigot'

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-12-2001, 08:28 AM   #10
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I can't stand the arrogance of these people - not to give too much away, but I will be voting for Portillo (no flames ).

To be fair this wasn't a pay rise, but just taking his actual salary. The analogy is more like get given a pay rise, 4 years later actually take it.

Also I think it's extremely underpaid, considering the amount he could earn, even as an arrogant hypocrite (advertising exec..?) and still less than his wife. Also, it's hardly a lot in the grand scale of things.

Still, this time in 5 years when I'm part of the European Republic and obeying nightly curfew, whilst visiting only authorised web sites I'll say I told you so.