Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #21
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Anarrima

She would have been completely worried about this seemingly pre-hostile encounter if not for the fact that Tao had signaled her approval of the dwarf. Knowing that the Lady possessed abilities to find good or evil in a being, she felt much relief when Tao acknowledged that these two mercenaries for this town seemed to check out.

She looked back to Vincent and Yevaud and nodded for them to drop their weapons and then she stepped forth away from her companions and called out,

"My name is Anarrima Culurien, Golden Elf of Evermeet, Priestess of Ahurani Fairhand and behind me are my two companions of travel, Yevaud my protector and Vincent, a friend who has aided us in a recent quest for a good cause.

We come to your fair town in search of rest and to restock our supplies. During our travel through these woods, we encountered nothing out of the ordinary nor were faced with danger of any kind.

May we seek refuge here, good dwarf?"

[ 02-16-2007, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #22
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

Pandaros

The scout nodded at Xaver's words and drew back his bowstring. A warning shot seemed like a big risk, given that the newcomers had the two of them outnumbered. And then there was the wolf. Pandaros had spent lots of time in the wilderness and met his share of wild creatures. Wolves were predators, and it was encounters with predators that made him most uncomfortable.

Still, if Xaver was willing to take the initiative and approach these travelers, the least Pandaros could do was support him.

Pandaros took sure aim at a spot well ahead of the group and let his arrow fly. He drew another missile and readied it, with the arrow aimed towards the ground.

Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Anarrima

Such were the ways of humans! Kill first and then think on it later!
No sooner had Anarrima made her plea for safe passage that the trigger-happy human decided to fire a warning shot and had reloaded! She backed away quickly to be in line with Yevaud. She had not had the rest she needed nor the time to pray in earnest to her Goddess and so this left her with no real spells of defence but for a Cure Minor Wounds and a Protection from Evil spell. She thought for a moment about actually calling for the Protection spell but realized it would be a waste as this human was not evil...he was merely foolish.

She whispered to Yevaud as she stood by him:

"Yevaud, Nin udos xun vel'bol?"

What she did not realize in her nervous fear of this stand-off was that she had actually asked Yevaud what they were now supposed to do in the language of the Drow.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #24
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Xaver

Xaver turned back to Pandaros and signalled to him to follow him up, keeping his bow ready. He then turned towards the three elves who looked a bit frightened after the warning arrow was fired. He lowered his axe and spoke.

"Greetings Lady Anarrima. I'm Xaver Merlino Jr, a soldier and priest of Clangeddin, currently a mercenary in the service of the Locke brothers, rulers of this town. You'll have to excuse our manner..." he turned for a second to check if Pandaros had his bow ready to shoot, "but there have been some strange disturbances in the forest and we were hired by the Lockes to find out who or what are behind them. I think you'll understand that your sudden appearance couldn't but arouse our suspicions. I hope you don't mind answering some questions for me and my companion. It will take just a moment and if you are who you say you are, you will be free to go into town. If you have any information at all that might shed some light onto the source of the disturbances in the forest, it would be wise to tell us what you know. Since you just left the forest you might have noticed or heard something strange or out of place."

He paused for a second and again looked back at Pandoros. "Please don't think of fighting us. I know we are outnumbered, but this dwarf has had his share of battles and won't go down easily. And even if you do manage to take us down, you will have to face the whole of the town militia. I'm sure it's not something you'd wish to do."
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Anarrima

Anarrima sighed in her fatigue. They were so close to peace and rest and yet these two mercenaries were unyielding in their distrust of them. Must be a dwarf thing she thought. She scowled down at Tao as though to chastise her for an error in judgement.

Since none of the others were speaking, and that the dwarf had spoken directly to her, she answered,

"As I have said, we encountered nothing out of the ordinary nor were faced with danger of any kind, yet it could be that we were so tired that we did not see the signs that would have told us there indeed might be danger nearby. If you are sure that something is in there, allow us to first rest ourselves and then we might accompany you on your quest if it is your wish. However, in our current condition we are only slowing you down."

[ 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 02-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #26
TAOWolf
White Dragon

Mad

Kaylisa TAOWolf

She looks up at Ana when she scowls at her, and sticks her tongue out at the girl, wagging her tail.

Looking on as Ana speaks, she waits patiently then sits up, looking at the dwarf and woofs at him again as if to state Ana's point. The intelligent look in her eyes cannot be missed by the dwarf, and she looks directly to him.....

[ 02-18-2007, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: TAOWolf ]
TAOWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Locke Manor – The Guest Wing

A visitor called Joseph

He is pleased that this is no mere bumbling younger brother with whom he speaks. These Lockes, the two of them, are neither rash nor imprudent in their dealings. He would call neither of them a ‘man of reason’ according to the traditional definition of scholars, but both of them are reasonable men – even more, they are men who seek to be reasonable. One can respect such men. Indeed, one tends to know precisely where he stands with men such as these. Knowing where one stands, now that is a curious turn of phrase, and one strangely pertinent at present where it would seem that none but he, the outsider and alien, is truly aware of the landscape they now occupy. This is, of course, the classic failing of reasonable men – without one to reorient them at moments like these, the very reason they seek to follow leads them swiftly astray and leaves them groping for answers and solutions where there are none to be found. Foolish moral scruples aside, allowing that to happen to these men who have so generously seen to his needs would not simply be ungracious, it would be the very height of what it is to be rude. He has been many things to many people and has managed to give the pretense of being many other things, so many that it is no longer entirely clear even within himself where the seeming ends and the reality begins, but he has not been, nor does he plan on being, a guest that is rude – visits to the towers of certain bellicose and powerful users of what the locals of this IronWorks place call “shadow magic” excepted, of course.

“I am here,” he says simply, “because I was in need of a comfortable bed in a place where I might be free to rest and because I wagered the educated guess that within the walls of this house I might find a host who understood the meaning of hospitality ...... at least, that was the proximate cause of my unannounced and admittedly presumptuous arrival here.” He smiles and his grin elicits a similar response from his host as he continues. “On a more serious note, however, your brother has recounted to me the tale that my young companion had given him the night of our arrival and it is a tale, that, like many falsehoods, carries some truth in those places where it seems most fantastic.” His speech is by turns eloquent, humorous, reflective and engaging, and at every point convincing. The picture he paints for his hearer, while little more than a sketch of how he has arrived in this strange land of IronWorks and the events that followed, is vivid and compelling. His gestures flow in graceful company with his words and even the inflections of his voice fit neatly into the pattern of his words and gestures. Storytelling in many ways is the very essence of his art and he has long progressed beyond the point where magical aid is necessary for him to spin a tale that is at one and the same time vivid, convincing and captivating. He is in no hurry, pausing at the proper points to allow natural opportunities for the younger Locke to respond – more pauses than were required in speaking with his brother. A movement of gratitude stirs within him. To simply speak and weave a tale for one who listens with such ready attentiveness is a great relief from the exhaustion that still lingers about his limbs. No, he is in no hurry, for the art of the telling is often greater than the substance of the tale and a more stimulating thing – as is the case here.

It requires but little effort as he speaks to incorporate the gestures of a simple seeming into his movements. So naturally does he do this that the casting of the seeming is of a piece with his telling of the tale. It is a simple enchantment – the only kind he is truly capable of effecting in his present condition – and its very simplicity is what makes it so effective in a situation such as this where his natural gifts have already brought his dialogue partner to a point of companionable trust. His tale has been fantastic, but reasonably so in its understated details and it would be a simple matter to leave things here. But that would be unfair to his hosts. And truth be told, there is greater enjoyment, as well as greater art, to be had in opening the eyes of men such as this to the failings of their ready manner of perceiving the world about them. And so it is that while Simon speaks warmly to the one who sits beside him and who has spoken so long and so openly and so well, that he rises from his chair and moves to the other side of the room, allowing the seeming of himself to converse with his host a few minutes more before quietly stepping forward and saying, “But there is, of course, much more to all of this than which readily meets the eye. Or the ear for that matter.”

Even as he stands, leaning easily against the wall of the room – an ease which serves to conceal the exhaustion of a body which cannot yet stand for long without support – his semblance concludes its converse with Simon by standing, placing a hand upon his shoulder – the grip is very tangible and very firm – and stating, “But that is all I have to say for now.” With these words the seeming simply flows out of the range of sight and sound and touch and the Locke’s visitor walks across the room and once more sits in the chair.

“Now,” he speaks in a tone and a manner very different from his previous bearing and yet equally natural, “the first rule in my line of work is not to let on to anyone what I’m really able to do. But rules, like they say, are made for breaking and I like you guys. Now, that you know how careful you’ve gotta be if you’re gonna learn anything from me, let me see if I can answer your most important questions. Don’t worry about the kid. He’s good and gone. And if what I was helping the kid get away from is really on its way here to find me, there ain’t a damn thing you or anyone else here can do ...... except maybe pray.”

[ 02-19-2007, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #28
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

Pandaros

Pandaros took a few steps forward at Xaver's signal. So far things seemed to be under control. Pandaros hoped the elves couldn't see through Xaver's bluff about the town militia - the scout couldn't remember what the guard's name was he had met previously, but Pandaros was fairly certain that man was all that remained of the militia. Maybe the drunk wizard could help? Pandaros shook his head at the thought. An alcohol addled wizard could only make the situation worse.

When the wolf started making noise Pandaros flinched and tightened his grip on the bow. The elven woman had suggested that her group move into town and rest for a day... Pandaros hoped the dwarf agreed to the suggestion. If this group was evil, then whatever dark plans they had would be enacted on the town while he and his partner were away, giving them a chance to escape. Not a brave thought, but one that would keep him alive.
Kazilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #29
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

yevaud

Yevaud glanced at Ana skeptically, then removed the buckle holding the non-magical sword in it's scabbard on his back, and slowly removed and dropped in front of him, then repeated the ritual, slowly and deliberately for his magical blade, and then again with his daggers. He whispered in a low voice in elven, "*You know as well as I that I'm almost as dangerous without weapons as I am with them, but if this show will appease them..."

He then took another slow deliberate step to the side, away from the weapons hands up to chest level with palms up showing them to be empty. cocking a single eyebrow as he does so.

*translated from elven
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:10 PM   #30
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Vincent Pathfinder

Looking at the two mercenaires and the shape of the town, Vincent wasnt worried about a town militia, but he did as Ana asked and slowly removed his swords, then with a slight snicker he started removing some of his dagger's. Moving slowly and in a non threatening way, he removed one from behind his neck, then one from each boot and one more from the small of his back and slowly knelt and layed them neatly on the ground next to his swords. Stepping sideways and away from the blades he lowered his hands to his sides, palms open and facing the two men. Relaxing the muscles in his wrists he readied the throwing daggers in case another arrow should fly in the direction or the dwarf decided to take an adverse action. "We are, as the lady metioned, tired and seeking lodging to recover and mend. We mean no harm and will do as you ask".
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote