Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Happy Replay Value

Well folks, I've reinstalled, employed VirtualDub so I can actually leave Valeia, created a test group, and got them into several scrapes with the somewhat unsavory denizens of the Wilderness on and around the path to the Crypt.

Our first foray left one dead man to be resurrected which brought back memories of more drastic consequences when I first ventured into the Gael Serran about ten years ago.

Those initial experiences with a new kind of game led me to these hallowed halls, and so I'm back once again.

I'll be checking the tech tips to see if I can tone down the oversize pixels in my window looking into the Gael Serran. The interface looks fine.

Peace, +Dr.Pick
Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Replay Value

Yay!!!!

Do keep us up to date on your adventures!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Upset Re: Replay Value

I've started to get used to the game play and I wanted to roll out a new group without completely removing the old one. I have all the save slots filled and I thought I had more than one group in the past, but now I can't remember how I did it!

Do I reroll a new group and just save them over an old slot from the old group?

+Dr.Pick
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
Shadow Stranger

In W&W you can go to the Inn in Valeia and remove them from the party one at a time or you can use the method below:
If you have only one file in each save game folder, "game##.sav", you can get cracking in Windows Explorer. Make a copy of it and rename it "#game##.sav". This should preserve it from being overwritten whenever you save the game.
To actually load that save you would need to rename the official "game##.sav", then delete the number in front of the name of #game##.sav.

(If you had a game with multiple files in each save game folder, you could create some new folders in your game directory. Then move the save game files from each official game save folder into the folders you had created.)
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Yes, you can just save them over an old slot

and you can remove your old party to the inn.

If you want to make back ups of them you can just copy the files to another folder (I always had a folder named "backup") I believe (it has been a long time since I've played) that you not only want to save your game##.sav but also the roster file as well (roster.dat?)

So what sort of party are you putting together???
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Happy Re: Replay Value

Thanks for the replies!

I don't think I'll go through the effort of backing up the saves for the test group. I'll probably just keep the most recent save and save over the others with the new group.

I'm still working on a new group. My first one had no rogue and no archer. I didn't like that very much.

I've never had a Gnome so I'm trying one out, but I also like Ratling Rogues, so I created one of those as well. I might just have two Rogues to start with!

The Rat has much better fighting skill, so he'll go into the Ninja-Assassin direction if this works well, but I'm not sure of the direction of the Gnome at this point. I've never done a Bard, and I understand they're good for that role.

A Pixie and/or Elven Wizard, a Whiskah Warrior or Priest, and a Dwarven Warrior or Priest.

Ah, decisions, decisions...

+Dr.Pick
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Shadow Stranger

I once tried a Ratling Rogue as the party leader and he was surprisingly viable up till Ishad Nha.
As for party composition, there are many good posts on this area. In the beginning I like to have two Priests, one specializing in Spirit magic, the other in Vine. Then at least two mages, one specializing in Sun, the other in Stone.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, I've had Ratling Rogues a few times. They're very good to have.

I've only ever had one Priest, but I suppose that would work with the right combination of other characters.

Problem is, I can't have two of everything! I can't imagine starting out without at least one warrior with a sword. That means only one of one of the other classes.

Which shall it be- Wizard, Rogue, or Priest? I've also only had one Rogue in the past, and having two this time was going to be a bit of an experiment. Still thinking.

+Dr.Pick
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Shadow Stranger

I found the Rogue in place 1 to be surprisingly okay, you can always turn him into a Barbarian.
You could go: Warrior, Rogue, two Priests and two Wizards.
Vine magic is needed for curing poison&, it is not an optional extra.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Dr.Pick
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, that's just it, I was going to do two Rogues- One Gnome, which I've never used, and one Ratling which is familiar. I'm still thinking.

I've been insisting on high stat roles in creating so I can give non-warriors, i.e. Priest(s) and Rogues, some fighting skills, and to provide more money for starting out.

+Dr.Pick

Last edited by Dr.Pick; 01-25-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Dr.Pick is offline   Reply With Quote