Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2003, 10:41 PM   #21
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

For the car:

Bring along a small container of engine oil - along the way you can top up yourself if needed.
A large container (say 2 litres) of water for the radiator would be a good idea too.
Make sure all oil & fluid levels are correct, especially engine, transmission (for auto transmission), brake, steering, windshield wiper, etc
Check battery for correct water levels. Bring along battery water to top up if required along the way.
Tyres (including the spare!) - correct pressure, not worn out, balanced & aligned. Check the nuts holding the tyre to the wheel to see if any are loose.
Tools & jack - present & working
Check belts, hoses, etc.
Best to get a mechanic to do an inspection a day or so before you set off.

For the driver & passengers:

Drinking water
Map
Plan your route in detail before hand!
Snacks
Music tapes/CDs etc
Sunglasses
First aid kit
Medication if anyone requires them
Airsick bags or plastic bags - in case any one needs to barf.

Remember to stop every now & then even if you don't feel tired. Take a 15 min break, stretch your legs, have a pee.

Most important - DON'T SPEED! Keep to the posted speed limits. They are there for a reason. Exercise defensive driving, you never know when you may come across a nut who shouldn't be driving at all.

Have a safe journey!
Old 03-05-2003, 12:16 AM   #22
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

800 miles is it? Did road-trip (as a passenger I hasten to add) of 4000 miles each way once - London, England to Alba Iulia, Romania - and back again a month later. Was great, I love travelling!

Above all, have fun.
Uh...How do you drive from London to Romania?

My advice? Take the advice already given [img]tongue.gif[/img]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 03-05-2003, 05:34 AM   #23
Link
Jack Burton

Well.. There is this tunnel from Dover (UK) to Calais (France). You can take a train through that tunnel and even take your car with you and drive on when you reach France.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 03-05-2003, 12:13 PM   #24
quietman1920

I agree with everyone here. There are only two things that no one mentioned that are additional options: Fully Charged (and turned off so you save that charge) cell phone. Also, if available, one of those portable emergency CB radios that plug into your lighter. (theoretically you could be in a cell phone dead zone, but State Police monitor channel 9.) And jumper cables (did anyone say them?) because you never know. And Road Flares.

Ok, I know this how? Because one year, as an additional Christmas gift, I got my then girl-friend a 'car safty kit'....a toolbox with a ratchet set, pliers, full set of screwdrivers...as well as a can of fix-a-flat, large flashlight, portable CB radio, jumper cables, roadside flares, T-spar lug nut tool, etc.... She was driving a beat-up Mustang at the time and I was worried she might get stuck somewhere (without me).