Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2004, 01:17 AM   #21
silencer
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I seem to recall that your average soap doesn't do much for poison ivy or its cousins... other than to help spread the oil all over your body, that is
Hmm, I don't think I even considered if taking a shower was the cause of my problem - if the stuff got on your hands it would be very feasible.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
When she was a teenager, she and her friends would use poison ivy to see if their boyfriends loved them or not (guess they never heard of using daises). They would take a small twig with the leaves on it and trace the name of their boyfriend on their back.
LOL. Right when I thought I've seen some of the dumbest things possible [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
I hope you got to the doctor and got one of those shots that Attalus mentioned. I can't think of anything worse than your PI situation, except for those people you hear about burning it while burning twigs and brush, and they breath it in. Imagine the insides of your lungs itching! *shudder*
Nope. A person at my hospital said the effects of a shot are only very temporary (like 1/4 of a day). I didn't feel like even getting out of bed, let alone going to the doctor for something that wouldn't last very long. The bad news is it lasted almost a week. I'd take a bullet in the chest (as long as it didn't leave permanent damage/kill me) without hesitation rather than going through the episode again.

Quote:
You are probably correct. But luckily I don't think I have PI that bad atm, just sucks with the placement LOL (palms).
That does suck actually. I think getting getting the stuff on most people's palms is next to impossible since the skin is thicker there than in most places. Maybe you should use your hands more? (ohh, pun )

Quote:
I'd be using the Aveeno oatmeal stuff, make it into a paste. It does work drawing out and drying out, just sucks having it on your palms because it dusts off and I don't like Oatmeal keyboard and mouse LOL.
Do you actually have to mix the oatmeal? I could imagine taking a bath with the stuff if it spread over a large area, heh heh. A picture of that would be quite interesting [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: silencer ]
Old 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM   #22
Eagle eye
Elminster

Does it look anything like marijuana?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:46 AM   #23
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I dont think we have tha one here not like any plant i have seen here and good is that and yeah Johnny ask LZ to send you some maybe you can smoke it LOL
Old 10-04-2004, 07:52 AM   #24
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Eagle Eye - no, it doesn't look like MJ. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Wendy, dear...I hate hearing you have been in discomfort. May I offer up what my mother does when she gets a breakout? (She gets it nearly every year, but I...SO FAR...seem immune to it.)

My mom will use Listerine and, though she *will* use Calamine, she much prefers a topical Benadryl cream. But you wash your hands AND the closed tube after you apply it to the affected area. However, in your case you can't wash your hands afterwards, but perhaps you can handle the tube of cream with a paper towel and then throw the paper towel away? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here'a a link to some poison ivy info and hopefully it will dispel some of the "myths" about poison ivy, too (such as "scratching the blisters will make it spread" - it doesn't, but it *could* cause infection such as a Staph infection which is similar (with blisters) and burns and itches as well ).

http://quickcare.org/skin/poison.html

http://www.klkntv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1228769

http://www.healthsquare.com/mc/fgmc1404.htm

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/condi...poison_ivy.htm

Hope this helps you (and others here who are allergic to it). [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Definitely take some benadryl at night if the itching keeps up and use the Aveeno oatmeal stuff in a paste. And wash that bottle/tube of medicine off before you touch it again! LOL
Old 10-04-2004, 08:40 PM   #26
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Silencer, the Aveeno stuff you are supposed to put in bath, but luckily I haven't had PI to where I need to bathe in the stuff, so I just take the powder and put it in a cup, add water until it is a paste, and slap it on the areas that are infected.

Yeah the palms of my hands are not like "man hands" [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] no rough skin or anything, so I guess I may be more vulnerable to getting it there than others. What do you recommend, hard labor in a field working the soil with my hands LOL? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] My hands are so tough you can burn those babies with hot coals and I won't even feel it! Oh man saying that reminds me of this documentary I watched on A&E a year ago, about these circus people, and this one guy that had lobster hands, he abused his family, including his kids, for years and years, and finally somebody killed him before he killed his wife or son, with those strong ass lobster blob hands. *shudder*

Yes I have strange connections to things in my mind.

Oh and Lady Sedai, thanks for the links! I think it's mostly gone now, but will keep some of those links if I ever encounter it again!

Cerek - I have never, EVER, heard of that PI "does he love me" thing! Oh sheesh, I can see why they went to daisy petals later on LOL! Thanks for the story though, was interesting to know that was a fad way back when for some people. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-04-2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 10-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #27
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Hmm, that really sucks, LZ. At least it's almost gone, though! I remember going to a summer camp a long time ago, and our counselors told us that, technically, everyone is allergic to poison ivy/oak. One could touch it one day, and nothing happens, but touch it the next, and get the rash. I think that has something to do with the repeated exposure, like mentioned in one of Lady Sedai's links. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 01:25 AM   #28
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

You sure do type a lot for someone with itchy palms, LZ. Maybe the ivy's making you all shook up like my man Elvis. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been posed, but I hope it all clears up and that you feel better soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #29
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Chlorine bleach is a very reactive chemical that destroys almost any liquid toxin. It's used in various forms by the military as a chemical warfare decontaminant. Infected clothing and items can be cleaned with a strong bleach solution, although clothing may be ruined if it's not white. I've heard of people cleaning their skin with bleach also, but I wouldn't recommend it. Chlorine bleach itself is fairly toxic and irritating. Unfortunately, poison ivy oils bond with certain proteins in the skin making it nearly impossible to remove the toxin without also removing the skin.