Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #21
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:

Most of it is just experimental anyway, the doctor will say "Take this and see if it works" and they've been through so many prescriptions, they're still the same way they were five years ago, to me it's just a waste of money. I have my own way of fighting it, and it helps.
Good on you... Too many people get stuck shuffling prescriptions around and never fixing anything. It's always good to hear about people who tap their spirits to get out and keep moving.
Though it's never easy, is it?

I'm not going to address Tasselhoff, because what needs to be said has already been said.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #22
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Tasslehoff Burrfoot:
the thing i dont get about fat people is how they let themselves get fat. i mean i know girls that are 20 lb. under weight and THEY think their fat. once u get over 200lb. ur fat and u need to lose weight now.
I strongly doubt that people who are over 200 lbs. are all "fat." Look at "Ah-nuld!" Not everyone is built with a small frame, and many athletes are ove the weight you depicted as, "fat." Your post would have worked better without so much absoluteness to it. If, maybe you said, "many people who are larger, could very well lose the weight," or something to that effect, then I dont think you would have offended so many people.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:56 PM   #23
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I will. Not only are you wrong about depression, you are ignorant about "fat" people. Man, sometimes I hate loving IW, or I would tell people what I really think of them.
Gangrell, said it best, "Think before you speak"
Actually, I have a better idea, learn before you judge!

About the lady, I believe there should and will be charges filed.

[ 08-14-2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 08-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #24
Lady Sedai
Banned User

And not only does depression cause it but things like my defective thyroid.

I would LOVE to lose weight, but even with meds, proper exercise AND proper food intake, it's VERY difficult for me to lose weight. I'm just happy that I can *maintain* where I am right now which is still much heavier than I am comfortable with.

And the thyroid disorder ALSO leads to lack of energy and depression, too, which only adds to the weight gain if you are not VERY careful.

I, too, am sorry to see this woman got to the state she was in and apparently had no one willing to get her professional help until it was too late.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #25
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Oh...and also untreated diabetes can do this.

My father was undiagnosed until it was almost too late for him. He put on weight which led to sleep apnea which led to more weight gain from water retention which then led to an enlarged heart which caused his death.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #26
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Morbid obesity is a very difficult disorder to treat. It is not simple depression, though there is no doubt that they are, one and all, clinically depressed. Whether this is the cause or the result is difficult to disentangle. There are also some frankly psychotic elements to it, involving hallucinatory body image. I suspect it is another form of schizophrenia, though that is not a perfect description, by any meeans.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #27
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Whatever her history, death was merciful to this woman.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:29 PM   #28
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

How does she eat..? It's neglect in my opinion...
Old 08-15-2004, 06:45 AM   #29
Link
Jack Burton

While I do feel sorry for the woman in question, I still can't believe people who say this is neglect. The bare fact that people even look after others of their species is probably the best definition of altruism you can possibly get. I mean; look at any given creature in the world, anywhere, and you'll see they do not support any of their species as much as humans do. Darwin was right when he wrote about about survival of the fittest after all. And don't start on "humans are different", 'cause when the going gets tough we're all a bunch of animals, whatever the way you look at it.

Back on subject though: everyone has problems. Everyone has their demons. It's the choice you make to either face them, or run away from them that counts. IMHO the world consists of two groups, those who give in to their demons, and those who fight their demons. And the fighters last longer; those who give in probably end up feeling so pathetic about themselves they honestly do believe the world has turned against them. It's time people realised that you make your own future. And if you fight for your ideals, fight for your dreams, fight for everything you're worth when the going gets tough, the worst that could happen is that you're going to have to say "at least I did the best I could do".

Mind you, I'm not blaming this woman for anything, not judging her for becoming who she was, I'm just saying that neglect is an emotion, not a judicial method to punish people.

[ 08-15-2004, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 08-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #30
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I quite agree that morbid obesity is not caused by neglect, though it can result from sexual abuse. It is a mental illness, unfortunately an often fatal one.