Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-29-2002, 01:15 AM   #21
LennonCook
Jack Burton

I, personally, do not want to have another person exactly the same as me running about.
These clones are exactly the same as their "parent" - right down to finger prints and DNA. They are, in effect, the same person.
But, since they are exactly the same, if one commits a crime, how can you tell who is guilty ??.

I am unique, and I want to stay that way, thank you very much. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2002, 01:19 AM   #22
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Of course there is the issue of identity theft. Lets say if your clone double commited murder and the DNA extracted from the murder weapon points back to you and everyone will think that you are murderer.

I wonder if your clone does have the same finger print as yours?

Oops, LennonCook beat me it. My typing must be too damn slow. OMG, we were saying the same stuff. This is weird!!!!

[ 11-29-2002, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 11-29-2002, 02:03 AM   #23
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

How can you be worried about somoene stealing your Identity when they're 2 years old and you're obviousoy 47 though?
Old 11-29-2002, 02:16 AM   #24
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes the identity theft could be a smaller part of a bigger problem.
No-one seems to have really addressed this and yes it may sound like something straight out of a sci-fi movie but...When you have the technology to do something as extrordinary as 'copying' the gift of life you have alot of power there.

To make a point here i'll quote Ben Parker 'With great power comes great responsibility'. We need only take a look at the condition the world and it's people are in (not to mention current events) to understand that not everyone appreciates this. There are those who wish to use it for medical purposes, enabling them to make great strides indefinately but there will always be those who make use of this for their own selfish needs (money, power, recognition etc.).
Imagine if the technology got loose. It is plausible that with the rate our technology is advancing, the act of cloning could be readily accesible to the average person in the future.

Yes of course there will be laws. Restrictions and the like, prohibiting the practice to unauthorized personnel but you know, they also said that about nuclear weapons.

[ 11-29-2002, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 11-29-2002, 11:45 AM   #25
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
pretty scary. If you believe in that stuff, what happens to a cloned soul?
Heh, yeah, well you really do have to "believe in that stuff" for that question to be a problem [img]smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately, many people do believe in that stuff, and this could hinder the speed at which the bugs get ironed out [/QUOTE]You don't believe in souls? You ignorant fool
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-29-2002, 12:09 PM   #26
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Here's a question: what about over population? This is completely hypothetical of course, but what if everyone eventually has access to cloning. Don't we already have 6 billion+ people on Earth now, and are already having problems with overpopulation? Why would you want to make the problem worse? Instead of cloning humans, why can't they clone endangered species or something that really needs cloning? Just a thought.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:09 PM   #27
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Piestrider:
Here's a question: what about over population? This is completely hypothetical of course, but what if everyone eventually has access to cloning. Don't we already have 6 billion+ people on Earth now, and are already having problems with overpopulation? Why would you want to make the problem worse? Instead of cloning humans, why can't they clone endangered species or something that really needs cloning? Just a thought.
Good thought. We could also have Jurrassic park for real [img]smile.gif[/img] Although more controlled of course
And the way I see it, if this technology goes into the general public domain then all the rich people will be making clones of themselves and have a brain transplant into the younger cloned body or something, effectively their bodies living forever and their brains always learning more!
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #28
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
If I remember correctly, the problem with the sheep was that they had made a clone from adult cells, and it seems that the cells somehow have a kind of memory of their own age - so the sheep died very quickly, of old age, since its cells were waaay older than it was.
That's the way I remember it M. The sheep was born with a cellular age based on the actual age of the animal from which it was cloned.

So for this to work it all, at this point at least, you'd have to clone a very young person, preferably a baby. A 90 year old millionaire who wanted a few more years with Anna Nicole wouldn't get much help from this technic.

Is this the same doctor who, in the past couple of years, was trying to help a couple that lost their young child to some tragedy clone her?
[/QUOTE]Or it would work by replacing organs that are about to fail, just so the person who's life is about to be cut short would still get a normal lifespan.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 11-29-2002, 11:57 PM   #29
Slizerio

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn'tthe U.N ban cloning al together for all countries? Wouldn't that mean the U.N. could shut them down?

Old 11-30-2002, 11:52 AM   #30
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Slizerio:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn'tthe U.N ban cloning al together for all countries? Wouldn't that mean the U.N. could shut them down?
It doesn't matter if the UN passed a resolution banning cloning. One of the greatest weaknesses of the UN is the fact that it cannot really enforce any resolutions, only encourage member nations to choose to follow a resolution. The UN is like a yippy little dog--it can make a lot of noise but is really nothing more than a nuisance.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.