Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-01-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hello fans of Wizardry 8,

My first post to this area of Ironworks is a query about the original package in which you bought the game. What did it come with?

The reason I ask, is that I stumbled upon the game as an ex-rental for $7 AUS and as the insane cRPG freak that I am, could not say no, even if one of the cds was a bit more scratched that I'd like. Did it come with a map or manual? Because other than the box and the three cds, I don't have anything else. Hope I'm not missing out on too much else!

I'm a little bit obsessive with these things as I long for the days when games were packaged in big boxes with odd little trinkets and maps etc. It all added to make the game a more ambient experience. My most prized games for this would be my Ultima Ascension Dragon Pack (with Tarot Cards, Map, Autographed certificate and an Ankh) and my floppy version of Ultima VII - which came with a fellowship medallion. [img]smile.gif[/img] *sigh*. It seems nowadays, smaller novel sized budget boxes are more prevalent. There's always more of the old stuff to be found, of course.

Anyway, hopefully I shall be visiting here more often in the not so distant future!

Cheers,
CerebroDragon

P.S:
Do Wizardry fans generally think that having played any of the previous games is a pre-requisite for appreciating Wizardry 8? I do have my ol' dx4-100 handy, so perhaps I should try out some of the earlier games at some point!

[ 05-01-2005, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
babar
Manshoon

came with a manual and 3 cds (US version). no map or doodads. wiz6,7 and 8 form a trilogy. some stuff imports from 6 -> 7 -> 8 but not strictly necessary. some character interactions are different, but nothing to write home about.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
xfactor
Dungeon Master

The UK release also contained three CDs and the manual - nothing else. Looks like that was the standard package and I've not heard of any other Wiz8 packages.

A map (like the one you got in Wiz7) would have been nice but it's not really essential since the game world is quite a bit smaller and slightly more linear.

xfactor
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

yah, 3 cd's and a manual. There's a little overview map in the manual, but it's kinda useless. Playing W-6 and getting the right stuff to import to W-7 and then on to W-8 can have a lot of advantages, including having played the other two coolest games of their times.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #5
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Hello fans of Wizardry 8,

My first post to this area of Ironworks is a query about the original package in which you bought the game. What did it come with?
As already said, came with 3 CDs and a 138 page manual. Aust/NZ apparently the only countries to get full-colour manuals (with a map of Dominus in the manual also in colour). The manual is informative, and also an entertaining read (plenty of humour), so if possible back-track and enquire where's your manual. But if all else fails, there's a number of active forums going with friendly people who can answer your Wiz8 questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
I'm a little bit obsessive with these things as I long for the days when games were packaged in big boxes with odd little trinkets and maps etc. It all added to make the game a more ambient experience. My most prized games for this would be my Ultima Ascension Dragon Pack (with Tarot Cards, Map, Autographed certificate and an Ankh) and my floppy version of Ultima VII - which came with a fellowship medallion. [img]smile.gif[/img] *sigh*. It seems nowadays, smaller novel sized budget boxes are more prevalent. There's always more of the old stuff to be found, of course.
Perfectly normal in my book, yes the U:IX dragon pack tops the list of "The Most Interesting Goodies Included" award (makes me think the publishers knew what they had done to what could otherwise have been a great game, and so tried to soften the blow). If you're a die-hard Ultima fan (I'd played the whole series), highly recommend trying U:IX on a current day PC/vid card and get the fan-made dialog patch, turn off voice dialog and enjoy the game anew with dialog that makes sense in context with other Ultimas (also balances the economy so the highly desirable armour/weapons/shields etc actually take some saving to buy, so makes it more "rewarding" when you finally get to buy them).

Was speaking with a friend in the UK, seems they've been "reduced" to those DVD-case sized game boxes for quite some time, Australia apparently one of the last places to phase out the "proper" game box size. Tis' a sad thing because as you say, it will mean the end of all those wonderful extra goodies (and the introduction of "Collector Editions" which come in some non-stardard size/shape and doesn't have a hope of fitting on a bookshelf).

Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of Wizardry 8!

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-01-2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie ]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
babar
Manshoon

oh man, I'm nut sure I could play six or seven now. even wiz gold for me is insane with the crazy interface. I think rolling chars is crazy in 7 and I use to sit for hours trying roll a samurai in wiz 1.

Has anybody else seen this:
http://www.rinkworks.com/refuge/

It's like Wiz1. the interface leaves a lot to be desired though. I only had the patience to roll on character and got killed by 4 slimes.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote