Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 01:30 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I have had an intermittent problem with the graphics locking up on my computer. I'm using a Toshiba laptop, under two years old, with a gig of RAM, plenty of free space on the hard drive, the full IWD/HoW installation, and the graphics card that came with the computer.

What happens is a screen freeze, generally when there is a lot of enemies and active spells. There is no option but a reset, as the computer does not respond to any input and the graphics stay frozen. Tonight, at the beginning of DE lvl 2 (lots of trolls, lizardmen, and spiders), my screen froze twice, in about the same spot.

Any suggestions? After the first time, I tried tweaking some of the graphics in the config menu, but it froze just the same.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:01 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Try turning off 3D acceleration for IWD.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:29 AM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've always played IWD in 2D, so the 3D acceleration is never on. I've turned off ambient sounds and weather effects.

My frame rate is set at the default, 30. Any point in fiddling with it?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Hmm... try lowering the bitcolor to 16. What resolution is your game?
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

600x800. I did have the occasional problem even when it was 480x640 with patched IWD sans HoW.

The problem tends to come in fits and starts. Sometimes it's fine for tens of hours, sometimes it locks twice in two minutes of gameplay. Mostly it happens in Dragon's Eye.

I'll try lowering the bitcolor tonight. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ah! I may be a noob as far as the game is concerned but I can probably help you out here!

First of all, what brand-name is your graphics card?

2nd, did the problem just start happening or has it been a thorn in your side for a while now? (I coulnd't tell by reading your post)
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'll be darned if I know. I haven't added any hardware to the laptop, and am using whatever came with it. How can I find out?

The problem has happened before. Nearly dozen times while playing IWD and about the same playing Disciples II, over a period of a year.

Edit: however, it HAS happened three times in the last two days, all on the second level of Dragon's Eye, at the exact same place. I'm playing in Heart of Fury mode and therefore need to use a lot of spells to survive. It's not uncommon for me to cast 10-20 spells approximately on the same spot.

[ 07-18-2005, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 07-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK then. What operating system are you using?

...and do you have AIM? That'd make it easier than communicating on a forum.
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
NobleNick
Quintesson

Aerich, Jaguar,

I have been having the same type of problems, but it doesn't seem to matter what i am doing on the computer. Like Aerich, I can go for 6 hours without a freeze; and then lock up 6 times in 15 minutes.

I was told that my problem is that my 9600 Pro All-In-Wonder card is at war with the Windows XP that is installed. I would like to know what Jaguar's diagnosis is for Aerich's machine; so that I can use it as a data point in figuring out my problems.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've been too busy/found other things to play, so I haven't followed up with Jaguar yet. Things are kind of nuts until the weekend, at which time I might be able to address this.