Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

The Identify spells works according to the artifact level of the item you are working on. It will automatically use as much spell points as it needs to identify. This doesn't mean it works every time but as time goes on it will. It is a great way to get your mental realm and divinity up in a hurry. The more spell points the easier it is to identify.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #12
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas73:
1) I thought from reading around in the forum that level sensors trigger monster strength when the party ENTERS an area, no?
What you're think of is the contents of chests with level sensors (ie, contents are set at the very first time a party enters an area, if the chest has a level sensor then the items "above" the party are removed). This is explained in more detail on Flamestryke's web site.

Monster spawns are controlled by two things, each area has a minimum and maximun level of monster to generate, and the mean average of the party's character levels. Monsters will generally spawn within a range above or below this average. Things can get a little crazy if the average is way above / below the maxiumum / minimum.

Quote:
3) A big question I am having: How can I have items identified? I thought I could do it at a shop for a fee, as in other CRPGs?
No, in Wiz8 merchants do not do the identifying, some will sell the scrolls, but they are only up to spell power 4, so won't id the more powerful items. Spellcasters who can id get better as their skill levels increase, so if they can't id now, hold onto the item, or store it in a chest and then try again later. Also as has already been mentioned, as Artifacts skill rises (highest score applies no matter who does it), characters will be able to recognise items and so either as the item is picked up or if a recent skill increase has occurred, a simple right-click on item will reveal it's true nature.

Quote:
5) I have installed the mini-patch that makes monsters move faster. However, it still takes awfully long for the figures to act at all. Is there any other patch that speeds up the system's response time?
This would be the Wiz8Fast utility, keep in mind all this utility does is change the speed in which monsters move, it wouldn't speed-up the spell special-effects, or time for an arrow to fly etc.

If the monsters are not moving fast enough, run the Wiz8Fast again, and move the slider further to the right, and remember to not then make changes in the Options menu within the game (or it overwrites the artifically increased monster movement value).

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Wolfie ]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
babar
Manshoon

Quote:
quote:
3) A big question I am having: How can I have items identified? I thought I could do it at a shop for a fee, as in other CRPGs?
No, in Wiz8 merchants do not do the identifying, some will sell the scrolls, but they are only up to spell power 4, so won't id the more powerful items. Spellcasters who can id get better as their skill levels increase, so if they can't id now, hold onto the item, or store it in a chest and then try again later. Also as has already been mentioned, as Artifacts skill rises (highest score applies no matter who does it), characters will be able to recognise items and so either as the item is picked up or if a recent skill increase has occurred, a simple right-click on item will reveal it's true nature.
[/QUOTE]Certain merchants will buy certain items identified or not, which they will identify after you've sold them. Then you can buy them back (identified) at a hefty markup (depending on your comm skill). Unidentified items sell for much lower than the regular price and you will have to buy back at the regular identified price.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:57 AM   #14
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by babar:
Certain merchants will buy certain items identified or not, which they will identify after you've sold them. Then you can buy them back (identified) at a hefty markup (depending on your comm skill). Unidentified items sell for much lower than the regular price and you will have to buy back at the regular identified price. [/QB]
Not quite the same thing as like with previous Wizzies where you could pay a merchant to do the id'ing for you, but in effect it works out the same. They offer about hslf as much (depending on Communications skill) for buying of an un-identified item than if the same item was identified.

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #15
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

I'm pretty sure they offer exactly one quarter of the price they'd pay when identified. I used this knowledge sometimes to sort unidentified potions at Burz.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 AM   #16
babar
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by babar:
Certain merchants will buy certain items identified or not, which they will identify after you've sold them. Then you can buy them back (identified) at a hefty markup (depending on your comm skill). Unidentified items sell for much lower than the regular price and you will have to buy back at the regular identified price.
Not quite the same thing as like with previous Wizzies where you could pay a merchant to do the id'ing for you, but in effect it works out the same. They offer about hslf as much (depending on Communications skill) for buying of an un-identified item than if the same item was identified.

[img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]Boltac has probably been dead a long time.
babar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:04 AM   #17
Legolas73
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello all, I stepped out of Arnika and tried to go to the Monastery again (after finding the wheel key) but this time the Road was to tough for me. As one encounter I came across 8 or 9 Juggernauts (HP 220+). I decided to turn around and enter the safe haven of Arnika again (where by now a group of 8 or 9 Savant Guards have no chance against my fully rested band-of-four).So I am back in town, planning on practicing some before going out again.

1) Is there anyway to practice the Knock spell to advance my Earth realm (i.e. an eternally closed door or something)?

2) I think it would help a lot if Gandalf had a high initiative so that foes cannot spread out before he casts his Magic Missile. What's a Speed value at which to be reasonably fast in combat?

3) Please help me out with the magic system: If I learn a new spell (from a book) and that spell belongs to different realms, what determines to which of my realms the spell will be added? I think I bought a divine spellbook but the spell was added to another realm...?

Once again - and I am overwhelmed at the amount of help - THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES!!!

Legolas73
Legolas73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #18
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

In answer to your questions:

1. Have you done the Jail? If not, go into the middle cell and click on the floor. Drop down and follow the tunnel to te bank vault. One of the best places to practice Knock Knock. Just don't open the door accidentally by using a high power spell! Use power level 1.

2. I've heard from other people that you only need a minimum of 55 SPD as your Bishop will be able to eventually cast a level 7 Haste spell which will bring everybody's SPD up to 125, the maximum. To get Gandalf's initiative up equip him with a Thief's Buckler and Ankhs of SPD in the menatime. Each of these items increase your initiative by 2.

3. Sorry, don't know the answer to this.
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:12 AM   #19
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

2. High speed gives you better initiative. But high senses are also necessary if you want a realy high initiative. Since a bishop usually has other important stats, just accept the fact that monsters will usually act before you do, unless you manage a surprise attack.

3. You mix up two different things. One is what is often called scool of magic - wizardy, alchemy, psionic, and divinity. The other is the spell realm - fire, earth, water, air, mental, divine. I assume you bought a priest book (devinity) with a spell for another (elemental) realm. For example, holy water is a water spell.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Nightowl2
Galvatron

As I recall, if a spell falls into more than one domain, the domain with the higher skill level is the one that increases. I don't know what happens if both domains have the same skill level.

And yes, the big vault under the bank is the best place for bringing up Knock Knock and/or Locks & Traps. Actually opening the vault, though, will set off alarms and bring trouble.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote