Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

NobleNick,

I seriously doubt there's any conflict between your ATI card and your operating system.

Can you list your system specs?
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #12
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Really the only time NT5.0 (Windows XP) causes crashes in game is when its taking up too much memory (kind of an XP trademark).

Aerich, you have a gig of RAM, so that definately is not the problem, so the OS is fine.

There is a chance the problem may be fixed by downloading all the latest software. ie The newest graphics card drivers, and the latest patch for IWD.

I am 99% sure the problem will be with your VGA, your graphics card, with a two year old laptop the range of potential cards is quite large. But if you diddnt buy a high-spec 'gaming' laptop (eg an Alienware™) then its likely ur laptop came with a 32Meg piece of squashed apricott.

Theres not alot you can do really, as laptops are damn near impossible to upgrade.

My Advice:
By a new desktop, get an SLI motherboard with a pair of 6800-Ultras, a gig of dual-ddr2 ballistix and an AMD dual-core 64bit 939.

Did I meantion you might need £3000/$5500?

Sorry, I just thought Id drool over some of the new hardware out there [img]smile.gif[/img]

But seriously, its ur graphics card, unfortunately youll probably have to get a better one, either that or tweak some strange game settings that make everything look really bad.

[ 09-24-2005, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Soothsayer ]
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 AM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hey Soothsayer,

I learned some of that just now - I've been talking with a tech buddy of mine, who said I'm screwed for upgrades with a laptop.

I'll hold off for a while on the major desktop investment.

I've noticed before that Dragon's Eye is bad for graphics issues - all the other times I've frozen up were in DE as well, I think. Maybe I'll have to change my spelltrap tactics and try summoning up and hasting a bunch of heavies instead.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #14
Aerich
Lord Ao

I may have isolated a spell that causes graphics freeze-ups.

In my HoF-from-scratch game, I had another frozen screen, at the same location as usual: the beginning of the second level of Dragon's Eye, just to the right of the entrance, where you get swarmed by about two dozen beasties (sword spiders, trolls, bombardier beetles).

It seems to me that Web is a culprit. Most times I've had a freeze, I've had Web down as one component of a strategy to control mass attacks.

In my second go-round at DE lvl 2, I refrained from using Web and had no problems at all. I even used a large number of static AoE spells (Stinking Cloud, Spike Growth, Entangle) with no slowdown, much less a freeze.

[ 11-13-2005, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 11-13-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Perhaps you can lure them away using the "call to arms" feature, then wait for the web to expire? I forget how that particular trap worked...
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #16
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't need to get that fancy. DE lvl 2 and lvl 4 are the prime areas for freezes. I can avoid using Web for that long, and otherwise change my tactics to avoid freezes.