Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2001, 02:23 AM   #1
The Black Panda
Elite Waterdeep Guard

This is sorta BG1 and BG2 together so listen up...

I've been talking to my friend who also plays BG2 as much as I do. He recently created a character (fighter) with 19 to just about every statistic except for like wisdom and intelligence. I told him that this was cheating, because normal characters aren't able to get 19 in any stat (unless they're elves, for example). He said that since BG1 had magical books that upped their stats by 1, it was legit. I still say it's cheating (I'm a purist, btw) What do you guys call it?
Old 07-26-2001, 03:01 AM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I would call it cheating. Unless he imported the character from BGI it is cheating in my book. But ultimately it is not important what i think. If he likes to play that way that is his business.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 07-26-2001, 04:00 AM   #3
Luther
Manshoon

Well, in BG1 there arn't any tomes that increase your strength or dexterity (as far as I know). The only attributes that there are tomes for are charisma, wisdom and constitution. So if he put up his str and dexterity then yeah, he is cheating. But Jesus, if he paid the outrageous amount of money that software retails for these days he's entitled to play however he wants.
Old 07-26-2001, 07:13 AM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Luther:
Well, in BG1 there arn't any tomes that increase your strength or dexterity (as far as I know). The only attributes that there are tomes for are charisma, wisdom and constitution.
Wrong. Those tomes are there, at least the book of strength, still fresh in my memory. Can't recall the tome to raise your dexterity, but I think it's in the game as well...
Old 07-26-2001, 07:57 AM   #5
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Theres a tome for every stat, and two for intelligence and wisdom (i think)

------------------
Old 07-26-2001, 07:59 AM   #6
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In bg1 there were a book for every statistic:
The book of strength under candlekeep;
The book of dexterity in the thieves guild in baldurs gate city;
the book of con, in a cave near sirines´ beach;
the book of int, in a wizard´s toewer in bg city;
two books of wis, one in the temple of tymora in bg city, the other under candlekeep;
the book of car in the gnoll stronghold.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:55 AM   #7
Big Al
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you have TotSC there is another Book of Wisdom, great if you play a cleric as you can end up with 21 Wis!
Old 07-26-2001, 10:48 AM   #8
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

When I first started BG (and later TotSc) I decided to roleplay rather than powerplay. I rolled once and only once (to give the idea of being born with a unique set of stats. The role I got sucked. I still played. It was painful at first, but as I progressed, I got fairly powerful. I never achieved the godlike status of others, nor will I ever, with the character I created. I didn't do this in BG2, as I wanted to powerplay, to see how the game went. Powerplay is great fun and watching your characters deal out serious damage is neat. Yet, if I went to play the whole saga through (which I might yet), I am determined to play as I did that first time. Powerplay is fun, but roleplay is somehow a more fulfilling experience. You feel less removed from your character (as in, how many people on this board have godlike stats if you follow my logic) and when they die its way more frustrating and upsetting, as you could almost place yourself in a similar mould and see yourself dying too. Powerplaying is not that much fun, if it was then the developers would have given all the Npc's godlike stats...
Old 07-26-2001, 10:56 AM   #9
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i prefer BG1 for roleplaying and BG2 for power gaming. The story of Bg1 is better for me, starting as a child trying to avoid a war while discovering all the truth about yourself.

Bg2 is funny for the power you can achieve, but the story has fewer surprises. I´m waiting for ToB.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:02 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

i prefered the bg1 story myself, its more mysterieus.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.