Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-04-2001, 06:04 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Ladies and Gentlemen this corner..

FLAIL OF AGES

A 1d6+4 +3 (acid,cold,fire) damage and +3 thacO flail. Damage is *8-14*
The biggest advantage is it SLOWS your enemy! A slowed enemy is having a hard time during the combat so it's a GREAT speciality! Also +3 magic damage is cool but not so great after all it's just a +3 damage.
More over, you can UPGRADE this weapon to 5 headed flail later..

And in this corner.. VS a legendary katana..known as..yes..with its lightning attack..stunning..slashing..crashing..the blade of a eternal fury..the Celestial Furyy!!

CELESTIAL FURY

1d10+3 damage and +3 thaco. Damage is *4-13*
CF has some special abilities blindness and lightning strike. They're useful. And also this blade can stun its opponents. But mostly they save vs spells. And this blade is being a little bit mediocre through the final. But as long as the final, it's BETTER than any LONGSWORD. And also it has a %5 chance to add 20 electrical damage.

Which you vote?
Old 09-04-2001, 06:10 PM   #2
rodimus
The Magister

Definetely the Celestial Fury, cause of Backstabbing and Stunning!!! I went nearly half of ToB with my fighter/mage/thief (solo) and the combo Blackrazor/Celestial Fury. A lot of people say, thats stunning is not working, hmmm, I stunned nearly every monster with the CF, e.g. Adamantine Golems, Iron Golems...
Old 09-04-2001, 06:10 PM   #3
Tancred
White Dragon

Dual-wield them both.

But seriously... I'd say the Flail, simply because it has so many applications for use by poor, disadvantaged Clerics who have sod-all half-decent weapons otherwise. Everyone who can use a katana - thieves, fighters and the rest - have other, almost-as-good options as Celestial Fury. Plus, you don't have to fight through a small army of powerful characters to get the flail.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:13 PM   #4
rodimus
The Magister

Agreed, it is very hard to get this katana. Getting the ring of gaxx is easier...
Old 09-04-2001, 06:13 PM   #5
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

I want to have multiattack! Bring on my third arm!
Tripe wielding! BR, CF (crom fayr) and CF (celestial fury)

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-04-2001, 06:18 PM   #6
rodimus
The Magister

LOL, and then as an Assassin triple backstab, each multiplied with 7, I think every opponent will go onto his knees...

Hip hip hooray

100th post

Old 09-04-2001, 07:23 PM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Both items have a big advantage. They can be found in the very early of the game. Getting flail is incredible easy but katana is a little bit harder but with a good strategy you can got it in chapter 2. I found this katana in chapter 2 but my party was level 14.

I'm really confused (I think somebody hit me with Joril's dagger))) some people say CF stuns EVERYBODY (or almost all monsters including golems) some says it stuns sometimes. Strange.. CF looks like better than flail of ages BUT flail got a point!

This katana is incredible only through the final chapters. Later it becomes mediocre. But flail of ages can be upgraded. Dont forget bout it. And cleric's best weapon is Crom Faeyr not this flail. (but dual wielding can be nice
Old 09-04-2001, 07:46 PM   #8
rodimus
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
Both items have a big advantage. They can be found in the very early of the game. Getting flail is incredible easy but katana is a little bit harder but with a good strategy you can got it in chapter 2. I found this katana in chapter 2 but my party was level 14.

I'm really confused (I think somebody hit me with Joril's dagger))) some people say CF stuns EVERYBODY (or almost all monsters including golems) some says it stuns sometimes. Strange.. CF looks like better than flail of ages BUT flail got a point!

This katana is incredible only through the final chapters. Later it becomes mediocre. But flail of ages can be upgraded. Dont forget bout it. And cleric's best weapon is Crom Faeyr not this flail. (but dual wielding can be nice

Yep, Crom Faeyr is the best weapon, including ToB. Surely the upgraded Flail of ages is a very good weapon, but I don't like flails...
Old 09-04-2001, 07:52 PM   #9
oldbittercraig
Elminster

I'd take the flail.

As for Crom Faeyr being the best weapon, ToB included, I'm not so sure... I like the Ravager +6 which has a 10% chance of beheading, thus killing, foes outright. No save.

Crom Faeyr with yoru 25 stregth will do more damage, but with the Ravager you might not even need to do damage.
Old 09-04-2001, 11:00 PM   #10
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Actually there are strategies that make getting the CF not too hard. It still takes a good party to do it but there are definate ways to tip the scales in your favorite as opposed to going toe to toe with the enemy plus dealing with all the traps.