Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I received this just now from MMORPG.RPG

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadNews=7420

They are abandoning the Campaign format because it required them to reinvent GW completely for every chapter, and it began to feel 'bloated' to them. It's also increased the tutorials and has created a barrier to new players entering the chapters. The Expansion increases the timeframe but allows them to do what they want to with the game, without worrying about new professions, or pre-lvl 20 content. This is a new blueprint for a completely new game.

Expect a BETA for Guild Wars 2 in 2008.

Eye of the north is a HOLIDAY 2007 RELEASE and is catered to exisiting players. It will required that you own at least one of the previous campaigns and is not considered a standalone. This expansion will connect the Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 storylines. The developers listened to the community that 2 campaigns a year isn't necessarily what people wanted, that many hadn't finished a chapter before the new one was released.

A team will be assigned to support the current games with live contet still expected.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

For more info on the Eye of the North Expansion check out the other thread in this forum.

GW 2 is going to be more open, have more levels but still remain free to play. There will be new races and will incorporate things such as swimmin & jumping which many players had requested.

By purchasing Eye of the north you will have a way to transfer your characters acheivments (titles etc) to GW2. You will also have your current character names saved for you.

Beta as stated is in 2008. You can find more info on this in the April release of PC Gamer.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:19 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Good news.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:34 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

So I go and read all the news for GW: EotN and GW2. Then I spazz out. So I wake up, look around the room to get my bearings, look at the screen, see the Gwen picture, then spazz out again.
THIS. IS. AWESOMENESS. INCARNATE.

The men cheered, the women fainted, the children waved multi colored flags!
Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

It sounds like they're throwing out a lot of stuff that made the original unique and interesting, but at the same time, I can play a Charr, I may be able to grief elf/sylvari roleplayers(Or at least annoy them till they cry, I used to do that in the original GW whenever I met roleplayers.) and there won't be a monthly fee.

It'll be worth a shot, I'm figuring, but I'm not going to be optimistic about it by any means.

[ 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: PurpleXVI ]
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by PurpleXVI:
It sounds like they're throwing out a lot of stuff that made the original unique and interesting, but at the same time, I can play a Charr, I may be able to grief elf/sylvari roleplayers(Or at least annoy them till they cry, I used to do that in the original GW whenever I met roleplayers.) and there won't be a monthly fee.

It'll be worth a shot, I'm figuring, but I'm not going to be optimistic about it by any means.
I agree, from reading further it seems like they're trying to MMO-ify it. Levels beyond 20, seemingly evil factions. I have no clue if it will come off as a clone or something completely unique, but these are my first thoughts when I read the major changes. Now, GW isn't really for me but like you said, the pros that did attract some people look like they are now slated to be trashed. Alot like the fact that there were only 20 levels, for example. I didn't personally, but this is where some went to other MMO's and some went to GW.

Still, from my side of the fence being someone who can't get into GW currently this still makes me optimistic that the sequel may be something I do like.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

I also note something that Gaile Gray said, however, that "my level 50 won't be better than your level 20," it could be that beyond level 20 or so, all levels are purely cosmetic. Merely for bragging rights.

The point on the 20-level thing was that for a lot of us, we could still participate in PvP without having to grind. There were no breaks where we had to grind to continue the quests or storyline. It wasn't possible to just grind grind grind so some quest would be easy. Basically all of it was about your build and your skill at using it.

There was also the advantage that we could always go back and help guildmates or our friends' new characters get through the early parts of the game without overpowering those quests, still leaving there some challenge. If the difference between Quest 5 and Quest End is 50 levels, then I can't go back and help my friend Bob through Quest 5 after I've beaten the game without making a whole new character.

[ 03-24-2007, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: PurpleXVI ]
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

And so the world goes around and around the sun goes up & down. The only thing that seems to change is the Games we play or is it how their played? LOL
Old 03-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Below is taken from the May 2007 PC Gamer Magizine
and is word for word as they stated it!! TDC

Guild Wars 2 Summary

There will be no option to migrate characters from Guild Wars 1 to Guild Wars 2. But you will be able to carry achievements forward through a Hall of Monuments. These are built via quests in Eye of the North and is only available in this chapter.

4 new Playable races:

* Sylvari
* Asuras
* Charr
* Norn

Hundreds of years later, in Tyria... sounds more of a race-reliant struggle.

Radical changes - overhauled environment and character control system, redefined PvP play and retooled NPC companion system.

Predominately open worlds, with instancing as a secondary feature in some areas (not positive on the interpretation). Hundreds of people in the same area, and choices that the population as a whole change the quest structure. PCG gave an example of choosing to rally against a dragon or not. Those that help, gain loot and xp. If the dragon isnt driven away, another 'quest' may trigger, leaving more options for the population. Very cool idea IMO.

I'll just take the level cap stuff directly - "Events will also offer a way for players of different levels to keep interacting in the persistent world - which is crucial, since right now, ArenaNet is planning a very high [100-plus], or possibly no level cap"

Sidekicks simlar to CoH, allowing powers to seep from a high level character to a friendly lower level char.

'Click to move' will be abandoned in favor of a more freedom-rich control scheme, including 'jumping, swimming, and sliding'

Destroyable environments?

Redefined PvP Summary

No real world limitations to servers. You pick a 'world', but can switch between the realms.

PvP World vs World combat sounds to be a massive scale capture the flag (AB style?) with no minimum or maximum party size. Big-ass raids that can supposedly take place for weeks on end. At the end, the 'world' will be reset, and it will start again it seems. More a casual version of PvP where you can pop in and out to perform various smaller tasks. Developers will reshuffle the teams into well-balanced match-ups every week or so.

GvG will still be present, as a more balanced form where everyone is on a level playing field.

Companions Summary

NPC like heros can join you (like a pet it sounds), and dont count towards your party. Not using this feature lets you be mroe powerful. Every player can bring a single companion on his adventure and won't take up a slot.

I think I read somewhere in here that it will be mission-based, but I didn't see it in my quick second-look.

Conclusion Summary

As of now, there will be no monthly fees, and no 'campaigns' for Guild Wars 2... mini-expansions, and expansions are hinted at.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

I dont see the reason for the "Just as they stated it!! TDC". TCB You seem to have this deep seated need to contantly try one one up me with GW info. No idea where it has come from as the info you just posted matches what I have said about the game already.

I would also be careful in typing out articles from PC Gamer word for word as they do tend to bring out certian copyright issues that PC Gamer don't like.

Feel free to check out the existing thread on Eye of the North for a good summary from a friend over at GW online. Lets try and keep info about Eye of the North and GW2 seperate as they are 2 seperate games and about 2 years apart in terms of release.

[ 03-24-2007, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]