Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-16-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well I had an external modem and the fastest speed of my Dial-up was 56k BUT it only uses 28.8k. This frustrates me because the ISP promises 56k and I can only use 28 k. Tonight out of curiosity I switched modems. I switched to an internal modem which is newer and can also blaze at 56k and still the same problem pops up!

I was wondering if it was my phone line who has the problem or my windows. Well I hope somebody can help me... thanks...
Old 05-16-2004, 12:57 PM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

its the isp bahamut.. you know how philippine internet is.. its slllllllloooooooowwwwwwww.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

IIRC, there was a somewhat major standards conflict when 56K modems first became available. It could be that your old modem was using the standard which lost that war, so it was falling back onto its fastest compatable mode.

Or it could just have been a cheap and cheerful modem.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Nay. It's the phone line.
I live on the left side of the phone line and could only must 24.4, my neighbor on the right was smoking at 26.6. Thats when I learned about how jacked up phone lines are.

I went wireless, and have yet to run under 750k.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hark: yes it is slow... but I used to be blazing with which leads to...

andrewas: Yes I think you may be right too. But then I already switched modems which leads to...

Felix: That's my theory too. But then it probably is telling me to go DSL. LOL Wireless? Isn't that quite expensive? Man that's sweet...

How nice the internet connection there on your side of the globe ain't it?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

In the late 90s I was in KY, with dial-up and averaged 48.6k. That was doable back then. Was overseas for 3 yrs, with fast German internet. Came back here and could only get 24.4k dial-up for $15 monthly. Could not live with it. DSL in 'Old Town' is a 15-18 month wait list, and $30 a month. Wireless is not cheap, but is fast. During the day speeds are around 800k. However, in the evening's speed is un-harnessed. It is not uncommon to have 1.8Mb, with burst' into 2.3Mb range. Just the other evening a patch was released, somewhere around 150MB, total download time was like 22 seconds. During wait times at on-line game sites, I sit idle, which shows a slow connection due to inactivity, but once in game, lets just say, folks have been 'stymied'. Monthly cost......$60.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the world of modem my dear Bahamut. extreme slowness and lags while being connected to the internet is a norm . too bad while that happen the bill will still be charging up to heavens.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:47 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Felix, I am starting to hate you LOL. I bet here that would cost ridiculous.

Kakero... yeah I know... have been a modem user for the rest of my life yet.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:30 AM   #9
Cienden
Manshoon

I'd think it would be the ISP. My dialup is a bit faster than my parents was even when I'm over at their place and plugged in the same line I used to use.

But then if I want any serious downloading done, I do it at work. :-p
Old 05-18-2004, 06:16 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

one of the better internet connections is in south korea (that is why you see so many of them online especially in counterstrike). you might want to move there .

Catch me if you can..