Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Knightscape
Manshoon

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=42118
Old 04-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Wow...that was fast!
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'll have my new gaming rig in a few weeks, and I'll be able to finally play NWN 2. I'll see about the expansion after that.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Too fast. NWN2 isn't even "fixed" yet. This pretty much assures me that it never will be.

I guess then the NWN2 toolset and MPer are officially "working as expected" since they're already undoubtebly focusing on this expansion. Ah well. As always, boo Atari.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Perhaps they intend to complete some of the repairs needed in the expansion. As I recall, it took a while to get all the bugs out of NWN's, and from what I've been reading, there are still some. I can't make any snap judgements about NWN's 2 just yet, but, I will be able to come to some conclusions soon. From what I've been discussing with my building partner from 1, however, it's not that bad. He didn't go into any details, but some of the scripting work he's turning out is amazing.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Well, even if they did complete the repairs in the expansion it would still be the usual Atari number of paying for bugfixes that come months later and aren't free like they should be. Whatever happend to Atari vowing to be nicer to it's customers after admitting it basically treated them like crap all these years? Someone posted an article there a few months back.

My 2 copper:

I think personally the game is terrible from a building point of view. Sure, there are the new capabilites one would expect with any game-design tool of this day and age, but the program itself feels so non-intuitive and proprietry that I end up missing the old Aurora so badly. When you do manage to accomplish something neat, it seems to take a lot longer than it should to design it. And believe me, I was so looking forward to an "upgraded" toolset as much as the next guy. After a week or so of messing around, I finally realized that if I ever did want to go back to making mods and hosting servers, there's no way NWN2 would make it practical.

MP is butchered with the whole walkmesh crapola. You can't glide or surf through servers anymore, the way you did in NWN1. MP is no longer an "online adventure" where you'd meet all kinds of different people in all kinds of different worlds at the click of a mouse. Compared to it's predecessor the online world is empty, dead. There are nothing even close to the number of people online that there was with part 1, just a few people that I could see scattered around. Tons of empty servers and a lot less servers in total. So with the walkmesh issue and the fact that at release, most people couldn't play the game properly offline anyways so didn't even dare to try it in multiplayer, they have dealt the game a serious (and fatal) blow from day one.

Despite some patches, it is still indeed a system hog, so do make sure your new rig has a nice card to play it smoothly, especially if you're thinking of going online.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I wonder if they intend to solely (or almost) include the 'cut content' as 'new classes' and whatnot. If anyone opens up the toolset and checks the 2da files... you'll find several cut classes, such as shifter, mystic theurge, sacred fist and others.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

More than likely they ran out of time, and had to shelf them. There is no doubt that 2 was rushed to the shelves, no doubt at all. This is expansion is rather quick, but I am going to give them a chance with the whole game until I can actually play it. As I've said from the beginning, MP'er is what I prefer with NWN's. If they made it more hassle than it's worth, I won't stick with it, and I surely won't be buying expansions.

As to the rig, I'm starting with the 7600GT, and will soon add a second. My partner is running a single card, and he seems to be doing ok with it. At least he's not complaining to me, overmuch. The last thing I want to come off as is a fanboy, but I'll trust his opinions of it. He has mentioned the walkmesh thing, and I believe that SpiritWarrior posted something similar to what I've said in the past. My buddy list used to be quite full of players that I met wandering the realms, and that is firmly impossible with the sequel. I sincerely hope the pretties are worth it.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I remember putting a post out a while back in regards to this. Rogue Dao studios is making a Planescape expansion for NWN2. ( I have yet to finish it)
Old 04-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Here is a link to the Rogue Dao site. The first mod (single player) looks pretty interesting.
http://www.roguedao.com/