Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am finally getting around to playing NWN and its expansions. I am now ready to enter level 2 of Undermountain. I was able to open both possible doorways down to the second level, but have not decided which one I will enter yet.

I am playing a Ranger/Rogue/Shadow Dancer and the amount of Secret Doors in level one astounds me! I have entered more secret doors than mundane doors in the past two days!

What was your opinion of HotU compared to the previous two games when you played them? For me, it is better than the previous two because I get to go straight to solving the mysteries of Underdark and worming my way around down there in a very hostile enviroment. The other two games had too much non-critical time or quests that I wish were over too quickly. I love snooping about in Halastar's lair...and maybe that is Ziroc's fault because his mod is so fun to delve into.

Also...the beginning of the entrance of Undermountain has a goblin who approaches you and if you talk Durnan into taking him in, you'll heavily regret it. This little freak would whine and complain during the time that I was trying to read what items that sexy cleric of Sune was identifying for me, and it got to be too much, so I ended up killing him to shut him up. Was he important for anything? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, HotU isn't a particularly good campaign, but it's still miles above the stock NWN campaign or that other, utterly forgettable, expansion. I can't even remember it's damn name.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

All the charm of NWN's for me comes from MP games. I never did finish Shadows solo, me and one of my regular gaming buddies at the time wrapped up the save game he had running.

I did play through Hordes, looking for cool scripts and such. It was required of me at the time, as the builder where I DM wouldn't play it, so wouldn't know about the cooler stuff. I found it to be ok, and I still use chapter 1 to strip chars from Z's mod, when I'm going to use them in other campaigns...Personally though, I wouldn't play through it again. Not like I hated it or anything, but online play is the only way to go.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

True enough, but I HAVE to finish these expansions now that I have some time on my hands. Its a personal thing.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Oddly, I thought SoU was tons better than HoTU. It was small, compact, but good. Nice original D&D story in there. For HoTu, it seemed they listened to the kiddies more gave 'em evil choices etc. I imagine for them it was fun but that's not real D&D.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I still believe the main point to Hordes was content. Epic levels, scripting, crafting, etc.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It was. It added quite a bit. Story was very commercialized though. I felt like I was playing a console version.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Considering the MP aspects of the original, and Shadows, you're not far from wrong, since Hordes was primarily a SP campaign.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Considering the MP aspects of the original, and Shadows, you're not far from wrong, since Hordes was primarily a SP campaign.
Primarily? I believe multiplayer is completely impossible in HOTU.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

HOTU is the best [img]smile.gif[/img] . I really enjoyed that but SOU is good to start simply because of (spoil) Deekin

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote