Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 11-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Vortex^
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Letter

I've tried to install w&w manually because I have win2000 and cd's autorun won't work.But I can't use command prompt 'cause i'm so newbie.I've tried all commands that I have read from tech tips but it won't install..
Vortex^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Vortex^
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is second problem..When I try to install directx 7 it says that it isn't compatible with windows version that I'm using..
Old 11-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Vortex^!!!

I'm not the techie around here so I probably can't help too much with your problems but ...

You should have a version of DirectX already (I presume) and if it is the current version (9 or whatever) you should not need to downgrade for the sake of W&W - so that much should be okay. If I'm wrong on that the techie regulars will be certain to correct me!

Have you tried accessing the W&W disk and clicking on the install program? (hope that made sense) If it were in drive d: - access drive d:, find the installation program and click on it - I think that should work. Otherwise you could click on "start" and then choose "run" and type in D:nameoftheinstallationprogram.exe (obviously that is NOT the name of the program, but I'm not going to guess at what it is and I don't recall if it was just install.exe)

Hope that will help out. If not, do come back soon. The techie regulars stop in several times per day and will be able to give you excellent advice!

If you do experience further problems, it would be helpful if you give a good description of your computer - brand, OS, version of DirectX, video, memory - the basic information which can be helpful.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
jsalsb
Elminster

Yes, DirectX v. 8 or later *should* work.

Next stop... virtualdub!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #5
So So
Zhentarim Guard

I am running W&W on Directx 9 and it works fine....

but yea... I think a better description of your system is in order...
Old 11-24-2004, 03:33 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

Run setup.exe or install.exe (I haven't the game here in my work so that I am not sure about the name) from your CD. The game will install finely. You don't need to copy anything on your HD or use the command prompt. Start explorer and so on.

After the game installs, you will have to do a lot of things. First of all
1. Activate the w95 compatibility layer for it.
2. Unpack videos
We will solve the rest of problems later [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 04:55 AM   #7
Black Hand
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Radek:
1. Activate the w95 compatibility layer for it.
Does this help prevent occasional graphics anomalies or something similar? I ask because W&W is running quite stable on my WinXP SP2 without the compatibility mode.
Black Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 AM   #8
Radek
Red Dragon

I don't think it will fix problems with graphics. The compatibility layer can reduce crashes or allow running W&W at all. For example, I have to use the layer (w2000, SP2) or I am out of luck.
Therefore, if you haven't any essential problems with running W&W then you need not change your configuration.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:11 AM   #9
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Vortex^. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

I hope you get things sorted out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #10
Vortex^
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Now the game has installed, thanks to you..But I don't know exactly how to turn on the win 95/98 layer..