Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-23-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
esquire
The Magister

Ok so I have heard about this sword before but I have never actually found it until now.

The funny thing is though, I swiped the sword without losing a single hp! It was all thanks to the fearless feats of Nalia.

I knew from a previous game that there was a big bad lich in the closet in that inn by the entrance to the city. I had stumbled upon him by accident before but I had no chance to beat him with my low level party. This time was no different, everyone was about level 10. So I figured I would take a risk and sneak past the lich, break into the chest I knew was there, swipe whatever was in it and get the hell out of there before he even realized anyone was there. Nalia put on the cloak of non-detection, cast haste, and then invisibility. Sneaking her inside was easy enough, the lich just stood in the back guarding... and waiting... I didn't want to take any chances with failing lock pick, as time was of the essence. Once Nalia got into position in front of the chest I cast a knock spell. THe chest opened and I frantically clicked on everything, I didn't even stop to look what she was grabbing. As soon as the chest was opened the Lich became aware of Nalia's prescence, as her invisibility was purged! He started casting his protection spells. But it was too late, Nalia had already drunk a potion of invisibility and was nothing more than a shadow, and with the haste still active she rushed to the door before the lich could get off a time-stop or a nasty gate spell. To my relief, the Lich didn't follow her! I was safe! And now I have this cool sword. The only bad thing is that I don't currently have anyone in my part who is specialized in long swords. I guess minsc will have to pick up a star in that later on, or maybe I will find an NPC who can make use of it. Regardless, its special ability to combat undead should come in handy

[ 02-23-2003, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: esquire ]
Old 02-23-2003, 10:04 PM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

You might want to put up some SPOILER notices in your post (like so, below) so you don't ruin the surprise, esquire. [img]smile.gif[/img]

SPOILER
Does anyone have any idea WHY there's a Lich in in the wall there? A piece of background, a little clue I missed that would make his existence make sense? A wizard who got drunk one night and couldn't pay his tab, so the landlord of the time walled him up?

The estate agents in Athkatla must have a fun time. 'Oh, it's a desirable property... warm, close to the business centres of the city, spacious as long as you don't mind the minotaurs - oh, and the Lich in the basement...'

I wasn't nearly so brave. Yoshimo ran in stealthed up, picklocked the chest, grabbed the sword, and ran for it while the Lich was still buffing up. The party then ran for the door. I daresay we'll go back to finish him... one day...
Old 02-23-2003, 10:20 PM   #3
Trau
Zhentarim Guard

Heh, once I had my thief run in and take the sword, come back out, had my party buffed, we went in, and used the sword on the lich. Good stuff.
Black Bush: \"UN got a problem with me in Iraq? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh wait, you don\'t have an army. I guess that means you should need to shut the f**k up! SHUT THE F**K UP!\"
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Heh, I did the same trick. The only thing was the lich followed me out!
I took the battle to the streets. Mincs (with Azuredge) settled the battle with a single hit - WHAMO! no more lich.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:39 AM   #5
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

You know what's interesting?

On my first time through the game, I found that sword almost immediately. How? The guy who tells you about the lovers upstairs walks through the wall to exit the map...

EDIT: Yeah, new avatar! I'm now an avatar!

[ 02-24-2003, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: pcgiant ]
Old 02-24-2003, 02:34 AM   #6
Manshoon

Another nice tactic to try is to have a cleric (or Aerie if you have her) Cast Sanctuary... I think that's the spell anyway? It's a first level spell that makes everyone ignore you as long as you don't engage in any hostile actions.

I personally haven't tried this trick on the lich, but I HAVE tried it on the Golems in the D'(name I can't spell) Keep. Aerie just walked in, opened the chests, and took everything... walked out, and we all did happy dances. May be worth a try on the Lich/Bouncer guarding the Daystar.

Tryin to skimp out on your tab again, eh Arnold? Someone, go get 'the gimp' to deal with Mr. No-Pay-My-Bill-Three-Nights-In-A-Row. *out comes the Lich, and everyone who survives the ensuing brawl tips surprisingly well that evening* :-D

[ 02-24-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: 605 ]
Old 02-24-2003, 06:06 AM   #7
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by 605:

Tryin to skimp out on your tab again, eh Arnold? Someone, go get 'the gimp' to deal with Mr. No-Pay-My-Bill-Three-Nights-In-A-Row. *out comes the Lich, and everyone who survives the ensuing brawl tips surprisingly well that evening* :-D
Wheheheheh ROFL...

I think hole Amn lacks sense, look at al the scum that habits the city... (liches everwhere, sewers are filled with vilty beings, loads of adverture's that say they are gonna kick your ass but... 1 minute later they are pushing up the daisies with there big mouths..)

Amn is known to be a pretty save place... I really disagree with that, the guards are most of the time corrupted (Black Lotus, Slavers ect.) the cowled wizards don't do sh*t against the 6 liches that have there ''place'' in the city... whats wrong with those guys.. I cast 'armor' and the whole Cowled Wizard Enforcer Army pulls out to give me a lesson about using dangerous magic in the city boundries... what about the FREAKIN Lich overthere thats is gating a Pit Fiend,,, does he have a magic license? I think not!

[ 02-24-2003, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 02-24-2003, 07:32 AM   #8
Manshoon

Not to mention that the general mentality of the citizens isn't exactly top notch... There's a citywide search for the person committing the 'skinner murders', and no one seems to notice the Jahova Witness population has gone down by about 400 since they started knocking on that door around the corner from the tanner's house? You know, the one that leads to another dimension? How stupid are these people? Liches in the walls; alternate dimensions in next door to my grandma's house; a big ass spaceship lookin thing just appears in the middle of some houses, and all anyone does is stand around gawking like Willy Wonka is gonna walk out; a HUGE building collapses and there's like 5 mages and 5-6 shadow thieves getting killed, and everyone just walks on the newly fallen rubble and corpses like it's Central Park; the city is overrun with thieves, yet I've never once had my pocket picked, and all the closer I came to being robbed was an attack in broad daylight by some 12 hit point novices; I save Viconia from certain doom by being burned to death, and she rallies to fight by my side... swinging a flaming sword right on top of the dry wood she was just standing on and it NEVER IGNITES; the guy that wants you to be all ninja stealth and break into the Harper headquarters hangs out 50 feet away from the front door in the wide open space of a well traveled city street; and one of the silliest of all, there's a paladin in the cemetary whining about how he failed to protect someone, meanwhile Uncle Lester is walkin around all worm ridden and stinky undead right behind him chasing some dude! SMITE BABY, SMITE! And what about those graverobbers around the corner, eh, Paladin? And would someone mind explaining why not only is there a landlocked pirate ship in the middle of the city where a group of slavers live, but the fact that there's a staircase leading up to it from the sewers? Did they PLAN on the ship being there when they laid the foundations for the city, or did someone just attatch their house to some draft horses and drag it away when they moved, leaving behind their sweet 'underground railroad' to the Copper Coronet, only to have Noah's Ark end up landing right on top of it??

I'm starting to think that guy who goes into the sewer in the to do business is going through too much work to stay hidden. All he needs to do is dress in green and say he's a shrub... the guards wouldn't know any better. geesh!

[ 02-24-2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: 605 ]
Old 02-24-2003, 07:36 AM   #9
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Annatar:
Amn is known to be a pretty save place... I really disagree with that, the guards are most of the time corrupted (Black Lotus, Slavers ect.) the cowled wizards don't do sh*t against the 6 liches that have there ''place'' in the city... whats wrong with those guys.. I cast 'armor' and the whole Cowled Wizard Enforcer Army pulls out to give me a lesson about using dangerous magic in the city boundries... what about the FREAKIN Lich overthere thats is gating a Pit Fiend,,, does he have a magic license? I think not!
roflmao
dude I'm seriously laughing here...

but hey.. you cast a spell, you say you've seen other mages (hello Kangaxx)... he tells you to get a licence. 5 Gs later you're sweet to ADHW anywhere you like. gating pit fiends ? why stop at 1 ?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #10
Tancred
White Dragon

LOLOL... you said it. What with the cults, the problems and folk bein' a bit dense, it's a damn good thing for everyone in Amn that you ended up over there.