Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2001, 06:06 PM   #11
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Hi Mel head over to www.blackislestudios.com and ask in the trobleshooting page.

Hmmm why am i not suprised so many people turn up to help archbabe but struggling newbies are ignored

------------------
Old 06-08-2001, 06:06 PM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Cloudy, you are a lot of help actually...because I did DL the bonus-cd files (the ones with the extra merchants).

OK just to clarify... Our harddrive is partitioned into drives C, D, E, F.
We installed the game in D: and Windows is installed on drive C. Then we had to format drive C due to other problems, so the game was lost/deinstalled.
I deleted all the BG2 files from the D drive and am now trying to reinstall it.
I have no idea how the bonus cd thing can be a problem...but maybe someone here knows???

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 06:09 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by jabidas:
Hi Mel head over to www.blackislestudios.com and ask in the trobleshooting page.

Hmmm why am i not suprised so many people turn up to help archbabe but struggling newbies are ignored

Jabidas I am sure that is not true....everybody on this board tries to help out newbies and I for one always answer newbies' questions when I see they only have a few responses I am not trying to use my nonexistent popularity to get people to help if that's what you're saying!
Anyway thanks for the link, I will try that, but since I seemed to remember someone else asking about this same problem I was hoping someone would be able to help

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 06:10 PM   #14
BladeMaster

Quote:

We do help the s

------------------
Do you TIRE of MORTAL LIFE so much that you SEEK to end it at the HANDS of

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/evermeet

[This message has been edited by BladeMaster (edited 06-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by BladeMaster (edited 06-08-2001).]

Old 06-08-2001, 06:15 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Now now, new members are NOT ignored! If you see a question going unanswered, bump it up and remind people it's there! There are a lot of new people joining the Ironworks every day and it's hard for anyone to keep up with the pace on this forum, as it is particularly fast to overturn threads.

Cloudbringer

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever
Old 06-08-2001, 06:15 PM   #16
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Just a thought but the game has to qork WITH windows and if it isn´t installed in the same part fo HD that might constitute a problem....but try the official site as some other clever person said to do...They´ll know and otherwise they´ll find out...
The full install is 2538 MB...But remember that you need additional Cache size....I find about 600MB good...but not perfect

DavidEddingsRules
Old 06-08-2001, 06:19 PM   #17
jabidas
Silver Dragon

It was only my little joke, Ill smile now(although I promise not to show my teeth)

------------------
Old 06-08-2001, 06:21 PM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

OK jabidas...

Sparhawk, that cannot be a problem as I installed BG2 before (as well as numerous other games) and it works fine

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 06-08-2001, 06:22 PM   #19
Tancred
White Dragon

Just a few pointers I found by running a generic search on the board using the parameters 'disk 5'

From RudeDawg:

General CD Install Troubleshooting

If you are having problems getting BG2 to install or BG2 asking for a CD5, you may want to try some of the following suggestions.

When changing CDs during the installation, let the drive spin-up and then stop. Then click OK and see if the installer recognizes the disc change. Do this for all the CDs that are requested.
Try checking for a firmware/BIOS update for your CD or DVD drive. We have had several reports of sucessfull installs of BG2 once a firmware update was applied. You will have to check with your CD/DVD drive manufacturer for this kind of update.
If for whatever reason you are unable to do a Recommended or Full install, but you can do a Minimum install, please read How to "fake" a larger install from a Minimum.
If you have multiple CD/DVD drives, only install from one and do not try to use all of your drives. For some reason, this is confusing InstallShield.
If you cannot do any install without getting some sort of error or crash and you have about 5 Gig of free hard drive space, you can try to copy all 4 CDs to your hard drive, then run the install from there. Please note, you must copy all 4 CDs to the same directory for the install to run. If you get prompted for the next CD, then you have not copied the files over properly, or you have missed some.
Try turning off DMA for your CD/DVD drive. For some people, this has allowed them to install. You can find this checkbox by going to your Control Panel, then to System, then to the Device Manager tab. Find your CD/DVD drive and bring up its Properties, then go to the Settings tab.
Try turning off your CD/DVD read-ahead. For some people, this has allowed them to install. You can find this slider by going to your Control Panel, then to System, then to the Performance tab. Down in the Advanced Settings frame, press the File System... button and move the slider all the way to the left. You may need to restart for this setting to take effect.

From TheDuKatanor:

Uninstall the game, delete the Black Isle folder completely, run a scan of the registry if you can (I recommend Norton for this - Tancred) and then restart and install. It worked for me.

From Aurican:

He recommended changing the designation of your disk drives in the autoexec.bat.

Other suggestions include putting in disk 1 or even 2.

Try searching through the board like I did if any of these fail.

Tancred

I'd just like to say, I take no credit in this post whatsoever... let he who had the right suggestion claim the dragon's head and the hand of the damsel.

Old 06-08-2001, 06:22 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Cloudy, you are a lot of help actually...because I did DL the bonus-cd files (the ones with the extra merchants).

OK just to clarify... Our harddrive is partitioned into drives C, D, E, F.
We installed the game in D: and Windows is installed on drive C. Then we had to format drive C due to other problems, so the game was lost/deinstalled.
I deleted all the BG2 files from the D drive and am now trying to reinstall it.
I have no idea how the bonus cd thing can be a problem...but maybe someone here knows???
I'm not exactly sure, Mel, but I remember WAAAAAY back in antiquity someplace that it was mentioned as a problem by someone doing a re-install. Wish my memory was a little more all-inclusive, but I just don't recall the solution, other than to re-install the dl files for the bonus stuff.

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Heart Mind Soul Forever