Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2000, 06:12 PM   #1
The.Relic
Red Dragon

First time through I inadvertantly went outside upstairs and blew my chance to get the goods. Second time through I did it right. Man those suckers are fast. I had my thief guzzling Oil of speed's and he barely stayed ahead of them to the stairs. Two of the golem made it down the stairs transition with my party, man I thought we were toast. Two of them weren't to hard to deal with, I am sure glad I didn't have to face off with all 6 in CQB.
Old 11-08-2000, 06:37 PM   #2
Ronn

All golems have the ability to "haste" themselves. The 2 closest to the door are activated when u take items from the far left statue. The center (and largest golem) and the one farthest away are activated by taking the center treasure. The remaining 2 are activated by taking the treasure on the left.

This was so tough, I had to break out my old D&D books Magically weapons that inflict blunt damage are best against the Clay Golems. The Stone Golem in the center should be affected by +2 or better weapons but this wasn't the case for me?!?!!?!?

I took the treasure on the left and killed the golemns, then saved and took the treasure on the right and killed the golems. Before I took the center treasure, I used the ring of golemn charming on the stone golemn (it didn't work after he turned red). After I took the bow, I used the stone golemn to kill the clay golemn while my party exited the room. After he killed the other he turned red, but he couldn't fit through the door

I'm now the master of the castle, but I have a pissed off employee working for me...haha

Old 11-08-2000, 07:47 PM   #3
Suul-Yinn

Ring of Golem charming? Where is it? You can kill the Iron golem from afar with missile weapons as he can't fit through the door.
Later on, with some other golems I met, I reduced the Iron golem's magical defenses with spells and then used domination. I almost pissed myself watching a hasted Iron golem tear through the stone and clay golems! Technically this shouldn't be possible as golems are meant to be immune to charm & domination, but it was fun

Old 11-08-2000, 07:50 PM   #4
Armisael

Not exactly on topic, but I've been wondering; is there any way to kill Adamantine golems? I mean, aside from spending half an hour chipping away at them with a +3 weapon.

Old 11-09-2000, 01:07 AM   #5
Kalundrin the Skald

haha ... i took minsc and placed him just outside the opening of the cave of the adamantite golem ... hasted him and kept hitting him from far with his 2 handed talking sword .... then everytime the idiot casted gas cloud i pulled him back ... adamintie here died in no time ... u could also stealth inside ... get your thief to the other end of the cave where the heartseeker is and then use someone to lure the bugger to then opening so he ( adam here ) can't see the theif stealin the good schtuff ... then just stealth him back and make the bait go back out of adam's sight ... then adam starts running around the cave again then let the theif run out .... loving it ... damn these golems are dumb ... but seriously is there a damn way to kill the big f*ckers ?? seems like its only +3 and above weapons that do shit ... and +3 weapons do really really little damage ... so anyone really sent his whole team in to wack the mother???

Old 11-09-2000, 01:48 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Armisael, the only AOE spell that i found really useful against Adamantite golems was Cloudkill. Even Abidalzim and Incendiary Cloud didn't do that much more damage it was a waste using those spells. Mordens sword can do damage too from a distance. Their magic resistance is so high that spells like Stun etc don't work. The best thing is to find a passageway/doorway/stairway they can't fit through and then use missile weapons or cloudkill.

There is one weapon that can slay golems (including adamantite) if they miss their saving throw (POSSIBLE SPOILER):

Rod of Smiting - can kill any golem with a single hit if they miss their saving throw.

Crom Faeyr does NOT kill adamantites with a single blow, only clay and stone. I found out the hard way
Old 11-11-2000, 07:52 AM   #7
Intuition

I used the "fake talk" strat for the clay, stone and flesh golems. As for the Iron...I summoned a hell lot of creatures and had Minsc and my main char (with Blade of Roses, purchased from Bernard) pound on him...He died..

Old 11-11-2000, 11:40 AM   #8
ripslaughter

The easiest way to get through this little problem is to....

Turn of the party AI

get your cleric (hopefully you will have one) and get him/her to cast a sanctuary spell on his/herself.

go and take all the treasure... Although this will set the Golems into action they will not attack due to the sanctuary spell.

The downside of the above is that you will not get any experience from the golem deaths

Old 11-12-2000, 12:17 AM   #9
The.Relic
Red Dragon

That's an interesting approach, I never thought of trying a Sanctuary spell. Now that you mention that, it makes me think about the ring of invisibility my thief has. Does invisibility work on Golem's? He also has the cloak on non-detection.
Old 11-12-2000, 01:26 AM   #10
BaatoRyan

since you brought up those adamantite golems, do they falter with sunfire or false dawn?