Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 06:57 AM   #1
johngalt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The game freezes when I click on the gates of Brimloch Roon to enter. I'm running WinXP and used the virtualdub program to get it working. It worked fine for Valeia and Ishad N'ha but apparently not Brimloch Roon. I checked the file "townmsk3.avi" in the WW game folder, and it seems I've correctly made the switch because it's a 32 MB file like the other 2 townmsk files, and not the original 1500 Kb file.

Is there some other issue with Brimloch Roon? It will be a shame not to be able to finish the game now.

The error message I get (after I Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of the game), is "The instruction at 00505ff2 referenced memory at 1009dfe4. The memory could not be read from"

That seems like an incomplete sentence but there's nothing after "from". I don't know if that makes sense to anyone.

JG

[ 05-21-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: johngalt ]
johngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

Hopefully I think we will be able to help you with this problem. This error appears since W&W is not intended to run on Win XP. Here's what you do.
1) Right-click your W&W short cut and select preferences.
2) Click the compatibility tab in the preferences window.
3) Check the box "Run in compatibility mode" and select "Windows 95 layer".
Hopefully this will help.

If you don't have a compatibility tab in your preferences, but you should have it since it is turned on by default in XP, you need to run the following command: regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll. After that restart your computer, otherwise you will not hear any dialogues in the game.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
johngalt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for trying to help. I right clicked on the icon but there is no preferences option. There's "properties", but not "preferences". I tried running that program you gave but got an error message.

It seems to me that I remember coverting the game to win95 when I first installed the game. Can't remember how I did it though.

rick
Old 05-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
johngalt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I checked again and the compatibility tab is indeed under "properties". I'd swear it wasn't there before though, so perhaps running that program you said did something after all despite the error message. Anyway, I do already have it under Win95 so I must have some other problem. Too bad--just when I finally got the Mavin sword. [img]smile.gif[/img]

rick
Old 05-21-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

You might try re-virtualdubbing the Brimloch avi just in case something messed it up.

Others will probably have better suggestions soon.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #6
johngalt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I took your advice Wyvern and uninstalled the game, then reinstalled. Then redid the virtual dub from scratch. I worked. I don't know what I screwed up last time but I got it this time. [img]smile.gif[/img]

thanks all.

JG
Old 05-22-2003, 10:06 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

HURRAH!!!

Glad to hear your problem is solved!!! Do keep us posted on how your game is going!

Wyv
Old 05-22-2003, 11:04 AM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Great! And I did mean properties. My mistake. To be on the safe side you could run a scandisk and check for bad sectors. Your avi file may have been written on one and therefore causing the problem.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote