Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 03-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Charean
Hathor

Smiley

Jedi Academy

Go to the above link for the free single player demo.

This is cool, and they left Kyle Katarn in the game - as your trainer!
This is the first "first person shooter" game I ever did - and it is a blast. Er, blaster? Love the lightsabers and the acrobatics!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah the game is good, but it left me wanting something more, it was too short in my opinion.
Grrr, and I wish they hadn't of put that moron Rosh in there, or maybe replaced him with someone cooler.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I played that game...

In my opinion the controls were horrible, especially with the lightsaber.

And the camera... Now you know why playing a fps engine in third person is very often not allowed. The camera doesn't move as if it's following your character, it move as if it should still be your eyes, but was placed in an angle to simulate following the character, but it doesn't do that well and just make the experience horrible. If I remember well the character wasn't touching the ground either, he was more like hovering a little over it, and it's walking animation wasn't realistic with the speed he moved.

The worse is that they made sure you have to jump on things, with that stupid camera...

The graphics were horrible. I think the defining moment was when I saw the wookie that looked like a stickman.

The areas were mostly empty, just a bunch of mostly bare room with ennemies in them, they could have swaped them with any other fps's graphics and it would have had no effect on the gameplay...

Jedi Outcast was a great game, Jedi Accademy is horrible.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I also played the game. I liked it but the story was pretty bad I think. The whole final battle was just horrible.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #5
dominions
Elminster

I thought this one was passable, but Jedi Knight Outcast was better.
I've stayed with the entire series with these games: Dark Forces (good old DOS shoot 'em up [img]smile.gif[/img] ), Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (extremely good for the time), Mysteries of the Sith (very hard), Jedi Knight II Outcast, Jedi Knight Jedi Academy.

Oh and I agree with Hivetyrant as regards Rosh: Should have sent him the way of the Emperor in Return of the Jedi *nasty grin*

[ 03-16-2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: dominions ]
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
Riftmaker
Elminster

Luvian, you can't possibly consider playing a melee game with first person. What are you smoking?

The camera is fine, Luvian's on crack. The hit detection is kinda screwed though, and the controls suck.

Academy is better because you get to choose your powers and your path. Outcast is better for a myriad of other reasons.

Frankly, Jedi Knight is the best one of them all.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Riftmaker:
Luvian, you can't possibly consider playing a melee game with first person. What are you smoking?

The camera is fine, Luvian's on crack. The hit detection is kinda screwed though, and the controls suck.

Academy is better because you get to choose your powers and your path. Outcast is better for a myriad of other reasons.

Frankly, Jedi Knight is the best one of them all.
No, I can't consider playing a melee game using a first person engine pretending to be a third person one.