Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Is it possible to:

- Install BG/Tales/SoA/ToB
- Install this
- Then install extras and mods

???

I also need to know if I can choose the Assassin kit right from the start of the game. Also, is there any chance of the BG Experience cap being removed entirely, it would make the game so much more fun
Old 09-13-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
Faceman
Hathor

well BGT also does a bit more than just adding BG1. AFAIK it also gives you the possibility to take BG1 NPCs to SoA, have Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc transfer with the stats they had at the end of BG1 makes the story more coherent,...
Old 09-13-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
japheth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, I'll try and address all your questions.

Quote:
So this is basically the same as BGT, except that this is much easier to download/install? Or are there any differences?
Yes. All you have to do is double-click bg1tutu.exe in your BGII directory to run it. Read the installations instructions for more detail.

However, BG1Tutu isn't one big monstrous game. You play through BG1 after running bg1tutu.exe and then once you've completed it, you run bg1tutu_restore.exe, which reverts BGII back to normal and splices into a save called bg1tutu-transition. Then you just load the bg1tutu-transition save and play the game with your PC that you used throughout BG1.

You can still start a normal New Game after running bg1tutu_restore.exe as well.

Quote:
I'm not saying that this isn't good, because it so absolutely is! But I'm simply wondering if there's any reason for me to get this if I already have BGT.
Well, any new versions *should* be able to be ran while keeping your saved games intact. The only thing that may happen is that some string references might become messed up.

Quote:
Did you remove the EXP Caps so I can spend some quality time in the Sword Coast? I can take a kit and go through the Sword Coast yes?
Yep, you can play with any Kit you want. And I've left the XP Cap as is, so you can tromp around and gain levels in BG1 if you really want to.

Quote:
erm...does my installation of BG2 have to be clean? as in no mods for harder enemys and such? or can i install with them? as thats what stopped me using Trilogy....
Well, it certainly *helps* if it is, however, I'm pretty sure you can get away with running bg1tutu.exe even if you have a bunch of mods installed in your BGII installation already.

Quote:
Is it possible to:

- Install BG/Tales/SoA/ToB
- Install this
- Then install extras and mods

???

I also need to know if I can choose the Assassin kit right from the start of the game. Also, is there any chance of the BG Experience cap being removed entirely, it would make the game so much more fun
Yes, as mentioned above in this post, you can use any kit you want from the start of the game. And there is no xp cap.

Installing any *BGII* extras/mods is kind of pointless until you actually start playing BGII again since the BGII content is unaccessable while BG1Tutu is installed.
japheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:49 PM   #14
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
well BGT also does a bit more than just adding BG1. AFAIK it also gives you the possibility to take BG1 NPCs to SoA, have Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc transfer with the stats they had at the end of BG1 makes the story more coherent,...
besides, I read on the BGT forum, only when installing BGT requires clean/un-moded SoA/ToB, after all installations are done, you can put those mods back.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #15
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
So let me see if I've got it right. They both have their pluses and minuses.

BGT- massive download, and hellish installation, but you can play straight through the whole series.

BG1TUTU- much smaller download, simpler install, but you need to convert the BG2 game back and forth to play the whole series.

Have I got it right? Is there anything I've missed? Can we make a compilation list to make sure we've got everything so that everyone can make the best decision for themselves?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
well BGT also does a bit more than just adding BG1. AFAIK it also gives you the possibility to take BG1 NPCs to SoA
It does?
I heard otherwise actually, but perhaps this feature is part of a recent patch, then?
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:08 PM   #17
japheth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
So let me see if I've got it right. They both have their pluses and minuses.

BGT- massive download, and hellish installation, but you can play straight through the whole series.

BG1TUTU- much smaller download, simpler install, but you need to convert the BG2 game back and forth to play the whole series.

Have I got it right? Is there anything I've missed? Can we make a compilation list to make sure we've got everything so that everyone can make the best decision for themselves?
Well, you don't have to convert the game "back and forth" really. You only have to do it once.

You install BG1Tutu, play it, and when you're done with it you run bg1tutu_restore.exe to restore your BGII install.

I realize that some people may want to play BGII while BG1Tutu is installed, but because of many problems (Worldmap, patching the exe for 0 XP, etc.) you can't.

And if my understanding is correct, with BGT you can't just start in Irenicus' dungeon either can you?
japheth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:10 PM   #18
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by japheth:

And if my understanding is correct, with BGT you can't just start in Irenicus' dungeon either can you?
Actually, you can.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:53 PM   #19
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Nice, nice. Now, even more incentive for me to get BG 1... [img]smile.gif[/img]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:14 PM   #20
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

you cant take npcs to bg2 from bg1 in bgt