Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-31-2001, 07:48 PM   #11
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Timestop is the singemost powerful spell in the game, a high level mage in a timestop is unbeatable because you cant fight back or stop them or disrupt them. Im nearly finished soloing through BG2 and ToB and for me its the best.

------------------
Old 08-31-2001, 07:53 PM   #12
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

a mage with time stop is unbeatable?
maybe against computer, but what fun is there to use timestop and use the same routine over and over?

and against Human players, mages with time stop die first

so time stop is weak
Old 08-31-2001, 09:38 PM   #13
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Even w/ Vecna's robe and the amulate of power a good melee char. can go and whack any mage b4 timestop could happen. The only thing that will really work here is using mirror image 1st (which is TRUELY one of the most powerfull spells in the game).

Many of the TOB tuffies (possibly some in SOA as well) are immune to timestop so that it is more of a hindrence than a help.

As long as the opponent is evil (and you relativly high in level) HOLY SMITE. Or just go invisible, walk up to it and whack the crap out of it (backstab if possible).
Old 08-31-2001, 10:35 PM   #14
dulouz
Manshoon

put a time stop scroll in one of your quick use slots. cast simalicrum, i think thats what it was, then you have a second version of "you" also with a time stop scroll in their quick use slot.

i did this in the final fight, by accident really. I ran out of offensive spells with the fake me, and ended up casting invisibility a few times to backstab Irenicus. I was a mage/theif.

i won't say this is the best way, but it was an interesting surprise at the moment. I wasn't high enough level of a mage to memorize the spells, so i just had a bunch of scrolls lying around.

backstabbing is a great killing method. also, i like a high level mage casting Chromatic Orb. Another thing, i havn't done in BG but rather in the original Pool of Radiance, was turning undead to destroy them. I'm playing a preist this game, so i look forward to the chance

dulouz.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:46 PM   #15
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Encard:
Time Stop, Improved Alacrity, Dragon's Breath, Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death, DIsintegrate, Various Other Spells while the first two spells last.

Uhm...Yeah, that just might do it. That's like going hunting with a howitzer.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 08-31-2001, 10:48 PM   #16
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
Even w/ Vecna's robe and the amulate of power a good melee char. can go and whack any mage b4 timestop could happen. The only thing that will really work here is using mirror image 1st (which is TRUELY one of the most powerfull spells in the game).

Many of the TOB tuffies (possibly some in SOA as well) are immune to timestop so that it is more of a hindrence than a help.

As long as the opponent is evil (and you relativly high in level) HOLY SMITE. Or just go invisible, walk up to it and whack the crap out of it (backstab if possible).
Immune to timestop? Irenicus wasn't immune to time stop. And let's not get into the the mage/warrior debate again.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-01-2001, 12:59 AM   #17
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Irenicus wasn't (didn't say he was), but if you have TOB installed and you do the Keep from SOA there is at least one foe who is.

Its intresting that with a lot of high level spells, when you finally get them they are worthless when you need them the most. Backstab & arrows suffer from this as well. I remember using a +4 bow and arrows of piercing (which on their caption reads as +4 THAC0) & still being unable to hit Kangaxx.

For theif skills on highlevel abilities I almost always chose spiketrap over others like timetrap.
Old 09-01-2001, 01:19 AM   #18
Lestat
Manshoon

Yeah, I find Time Stop hella anoyying, but cast Wish and drink a potion of whatever to raise wisdom to 21 or so and there is a chance you will get "Cast double length time stop and improved alacrity"
Old 09-01-2001, 07:15 AM   #19
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Lestat:
Yeah, I find Time Stop hella anoyying, but cast Wish and drink a potion of whatever to raise wisdom to 21 or so and there is a chance you will get "Cast double length time stop and improved alacrity"

Dude, you are from LA and you say "hella"? Are you native or did you move there from Texas or New England?

------------------

Member of CLAN HADB