Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2001, 02:37 AM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

I just thought id say imj going back to BG1!!!
After much consideration and needing a break from BG2 have decided to go back to the timeless classic and revisit Baldurs Gate
The interface seems so primitave now tho! It doens make it any worse tho, its part of the atmosphere and I am getting back into the game
Just thought id announce my return to Baldurs Gate

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
AzureWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:29 AM   #2
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Enjoy it AzureWolf !!! When my cousin gives me my bg cd´s ill play it again too. Im planning on playing a solo mage, or otherwise playing some characters that i never tried (bard, cleric/thief, fighter/mage and ranger/cleric maybe).

Its true that the interface is more poor that in BG2 (after all, its older) but as you said, its part of its atmosphere. Anyway i would like being able to play in a higher resolution .

------------------

You up ?? Beware !! When falling, better fall from down
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 06:38 AM   #3
Rikard

Me too but i have party problems...

------------------

The Githyanki Necromancer - High Magician of the Holy Flame
Old 05-15-2001, 10:32 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I love BG2 to death, but BG1 had that ambience to it, didn't it. That feel of being in open spaces, the village feel of Nashkel, the smalltown feel of Beregost, and when I first entered Baldurs Gate it seemed like the biggest city in the world. It felt like I spent DAYS exploring it all.

If BG2 is like driving a BMW, then BG1 is like that old car you still hang on to and love because nothing else is quite like it. Now if ONLY you could retrospectively implement kits in it.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 12:10 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, thats it Memnoch !!! BG´s atmosphere is special... Going through forests, finding unexpected quests every time you replayed... As you said, i wish there were kits and a higher xp cap...

Long life to BG !!

------------------

Love rules the world. At least, it rules mine.
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2001, 01:40 PM   #6
Rikard

And the low level spells that were implanted in BG2
A familiar would actually be of use in BG1

------------------

*--== And We All LOVE Rikard Don't We?? ==--*
Old 05-16-2001, 08:46 PM   #7
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I never felt I was rushed playing BG1 - I took over 250 games days the first time through it (without the expansion), and I managed to stumble across pretty much all the quests. The storyline was there, but it never swept you along if you didn't want it to.

When I play BG2 I always feel rushed, because the plot seems more important for some reason. There's not as much exploring to be done either, and I'm sure less quests can be completed in a single game. The game as a whole is more dark and sinister than it's predecessor.

I still enjoy them both hugely, I just find that BG1 is more relaxing to play, but BG2 keeps you on the edge of your seat more.
Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 10:36 PM   #8
Gimlee
Elminster

Yeah, in bg1, the majority of time that you play isn't story related quests, so you're not rushed like in bg2.

------------------

See the ravaging effects of smoke!
Gimlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2001, 04:35 AM   #9
Sir_Tainly

I'm playing it for the first time so hello all

btw to all those I asked for help on Minsc going nuts. I have managed to avoid this by getting Dynaheir in time

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger
Old 05-17-2001, 08:05 AM   #10
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:

btw to all those I asked for help on Minsc going nuts. I have managed to avoid this by getting Dynaheir in time

On my first time through he turned on me just after I'd crossed the rope bridge
to the Gnoll stronghold. Couldn't he have waiteda couple more hours?!!! I ended up having to go back to a saved game to keep him.

Staralfur is offline   Reply With Quote