Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Eccleston Is New Dr. Who

Classically trained British actor Christopher Eccleston has been confirmed as Dr. Who for the eagerly awaited new TV series. The 28 Days Later star will be the ninth Dr Who in the cult British show - beating off competition from transvestite comedian Eddie Izzard, Gosford Park actor Richard E Grant and TV favorite Alan Davies, to appear in the first series in 15 years. Jane Tranter, head of BBC drama, says, "We have chosen one of Britain's finest actors. It signals our intention to take Dr. Who into the 21st century as well as retaining its core, traditional values to be surprising, edgy and eccentric." Filming is due to start in Wales later this spring with the first series airing early next year.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm not that enthused. I'm sure the budget will be way too big and they'll never reproduce the terrible kitschy cardboard sets and props of yore
Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Dr. Who?
Old 03-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I'm not that enthused. I'm sure the budget will be way too big and they'll never reproduce the terrible kitschy cardboard sets and props of yore
True that was half the charm [img]smile.gif[/img] The daleks in particular were pretty pathetic for a race that was supposed to enslave the universe [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Hmmm...I used to love the old show, but that was with the cheesy special effects. I can see them trying to "slick" this up to appeal to a newer audience (more action, less story, etc.). I hope not, but I can see the "suits" getting a hold of it and screwing it up royally. Besides, the cheesy sets and props were half the fun (I agree with Rokenn, the Daleks were pretty pathetic).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 PM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

"Oh no! Run! We're being attack by salt-and-pepper shakers with toilet plungers! Aaaahhh!!"
Lol [img]smile.gif[/img]
I LOVED Dr. Who. My fav. was Sylvester McCoy.
I was really upset with the American version a few years back. I assume that movie will be ignored.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
Down here in OZ they are currently showing the whole run of Dr Who's from first to last on free to air prime time TV. Last week they started on the first of the colour episodes with John Pertwee. The sets they used where very good compared to some of the rubbish they served up prior to this. The plots, acting and script is much better to. Dr Who's golden years Are you watching it Aelia?

Great news that they are revisiting the series, the film was not that bad IMO.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #8
Target
Red Dragon

I remember the BBC they didn't want any BEM's (bug eyed monsters) then the Daleks showed up and if they are not BEM's nothing is, good old BBC!!
Can't wait hope it's good.

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I was really upset with the American version a few years back. I assume that movie will be ignored.
No kidding. As soon as I saw Eric Roberts (king of bad B movies himself) as the Master, I knew it was going to be bad. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still was not all that good, either.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Tom Baker was the best, and IMO, always will be.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote