Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-13-2002, 02:38 PM   #1
Case00
Manshoon

So my hardy group wanders in to the witch's back yard early in chapter 3. Being prudent, my sneaky thief scouts ahead and lo and behold discovers a nasty group of trolls waiting to partake of my fleshy band. Thinking myself brilliant I form a front line in a narrow canyon and cast a few newly learned Skull Traps a bit ahead of my waiting merry men (remembering all the happy explosions from IWD 1). Then my drow thief (read as assassin) lures them in with a well placed arrow. I giggle at the coming slaughter.. BUT WAIT.. the sneaky trolls waltz right by the traps and descend on 3 disbelieving warriors. The expletives coming from my mouth are reminiscent of South Park's Kyle bitching at thieving aliens (" I know you FU#$ing like, you like @#%$, and $%#^, and $^%#.. breath.. and $^%#). I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the police on a domestic dispute charge (I'm sitting next to an open window).
Well my boys dispatch the trolls, only to find I can't rest since those damn skulls are still floating around. More bitching follows. Girding their loins (and everything else) they wander in to the witch's hut, still weakened from their battles. What does the paladin do, but goes all righteous on her ass. She goes hostile and runs out the door, and we follow back outside... right into a troll ambush. Now I'm REALLY cursing those skull traps, as most of my boys and girls are in the yellow if not lower. Well, the wicked witch drops a spell on me and then retreats, no doubt to hatch some diabolical plan on my hapless wanderers. So, I peel my assassin off from combat and send him after her, with his shiny new short sword +5 in his evil little hands. After 50 yards he finds her dead mangled body on the ground. Huh..? what happened. So I scroll back the combat text box a bit, and what do I discover.. The witch strolled right into the skull traps. She never knew what hit her (and neither did I for that matter). Much evil cackling follows. Feeling cheated, the assassin returns to find the rest of the group finishing the troll mop up.

So, the moral of this story is.. skull traps are your friend, as long as you remember where you put them.

[ 09-13-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Case00 ]
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:06 PM   #2
ratchild
Manshoon

hehe... Nice story! and lucky too actually, as when she wanders off, she summons up a whole OTHER group of nasties to lay waste to your party =)
Old 09-13-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
Case00
Manshoon

Really..? Well score then.
Case00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

She is not very smart, here is what she did in my game:

When we came out of the tent,we all targeted her, so she was already "badly wounded" by the time she cast her portal spell. I thought she ran away again, and I killed the other monsters that where close to the tent.

Then, I kept hearing:

XXXXXX monster suffer 5 fire damage from Fire Slalmander.
XXXXXX monster suffer 4 fire damage from Fire Slalmander.
XXXXXX monster suffer 3 fire damage from Fire Slalmander.
XXXXXX monster suffer 5 fire damage from Fire Slalmander.

So I sent my rogue scouting, and found out that she had summoned an army of monsters, but she had summoned a Fire Salamander in the middle, and it's fire aura was killing them, but they where all too stupid to move.

So I thought I would wait for them all to die, when suddently, for some unknown reason, she leave her summoned monsters behind and start walking toward my party who is still next to the tent.

Well... it took us about 5 seconds to finish her.