Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #31
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Sorry Magik, can't agree with you, at least for cats. Mine is indoors and will stay that way because her last owner let her out. She wound up hit by a car when she was 3 months old which messed up her hips. She then got pregnant and then I got her. She had to have a C-section, cost me $600. If her last owner had just kept her inside and gotten her fixed, I would still have that $600 [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Also, I saw something horrible when I was in college that made me decide to keep my cat indoors (DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU GET UPSET EASILY):
I saw a cat in a frozen pond sticking half outta the water, eyes open, but dead, as if the poor thing had fallen in and was trying to get out when it died. That image is still in my head 10 years later. *shivers*

Ok, need happy talk: I used my brand new bowling ball for the first time this weekend. It's different then using a house ball, so I'm trying to get used to it before my next league game (in 3 weeks). I love it though, it's neat to have my own with my initials on it and all
Old 02-25-2003, 10:51 AM   #32
MagiK

I agree Harley, cats are not good outdoor animals..but they make realy wonderful targets Just Kidding!!!!!! don't shoot me!!!

Seriously though, we kept animals outside and people inside where I grew up....this letting animals eat off your plate and stuff just gives me the creeps!

Old 02-25-2003, 10:53 AM   #33
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

LOL @ MagiK. Sorry to be away, but we are having a great argument about Narsil/Anduril on another Forum, and I had to go look up references supporting my side of the argument. I think I am winning. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #34
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I agree Harley, cats are not good outdoor animals..but they make realy wonderful targets Just Kidding!!!!!! don't shoot me!!!

Seriously though, we kept animals outside and people inside where I grew up....this letting animals eat off your plate and stuff just gives me the creeps!
Well, I'd hit you with a stick, but that's TL's style, so I'll let it go [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

I agree about eating off plate thing. Mine aren't allowed to do that either. Unfortunately, mine's not afraid of water (guess she didn't read the instruction manual) so I can't water gun her away, just gotta use the old foot-push method.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:57 AM   #35
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Harley, I've seen my share of that kind of thing over the years and just made myself a promise to take the best care I can of any creature I commit myself to caring for. For me, that means indoor only cats because I refuse to place myself in a situation where I constantly worry "will kitty come home today? or will I find her dead in the street..." There are too many psychos out there who hurt pets for the hell of it (don't get me going- some friends from my cat mail group are mailing about a relative of one who's done unspeakable things and is finally being tracked down by law and the asylum) , not to mention traffic, rodent or yard poisons etc. I've had no problem with making mine indoor kitties over the last 20 or so years so it works for me! Sorry you had to do the massive vet bill thing, but that is ONE LUCKY little kitty to have found you!
Old 02-25-2003, 11:04 AM   #36
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL @ MagiK. Sorry to be away, but we are having a great argument about Narsil/Anduril on another Forum, and I had to go look up references supporting my side of the argument. I think I am winning. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Just a bit o tid on that subject

http://kroushl.freeshell.org/anduril/index.php

They are both the same sword, but in different languages I believe, in old Numenorian Narsil was the Sword of Elendil that shattered in Isildurs hands when he used it on Sauron, Anduril is the same sword reforged and given to Aragorn.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:07 AM   #37
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi again Cloudy. [img]smile.gif[/img] Found my coffee, so I have actually been doing some work here.

Don't let that mean ol' black dragon give you too much trouble. Just smack him on the nose - they don't like that. I put my NWN on hold as well while I try out the HOF mode in IWD2. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You guys quit being mean to cats, or I am going to unleash Foehammer's cats again!!!!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 02-25-2003, 11:10 AM   #38
MagiK

Harley and Cloudy, not to seem cold and callous, but growing up in the country, and spending a very great amount of time trekking through the woods, I would see that kind of thing happen a lot. Nature contrary to Disney and the PITA and Eco-enthusiasts is not a kind nor gentle nurturing mother. Life is hard and cruel for most animals not just pets left out. I really think that it was seeing this kind of thing that gives me a different perspective on pets and people....I just can't really anthropomorphize them the way Colleen and you all seem to....I love my dogs..but they remain just dogs to me...not my children or different shaped people.

I often wonder whose view is more...healthy.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:10 AM   #39
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

AHEM!
*Takes MagiK out back of the Cafe, sets him on a pedestal with a neatly lettered sign on the base that says "Do not feed the cat-hater" and another just below it in a scrawl that looks suspiciously like CB's..."target practice dummy" * [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Actually, my cats eat off my plate if I allow them too, but they mostly eat cat food from a cat dish, dear. My dog and I used to share ice cream cones when I was young. Never bothered me at all! Now if my fiance wants to lick the drip on the side of a soda bottle before putting it in the fridge, I admit, that does make me cringe.... LOLOL And we share those particular 'germs' in your average kiss...so dunno what it is... but I'll allow as how I can see why the animals eating on your plate bothers you, MagiK. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-25-2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 02-25-2003, 11:16 AM   #40
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Harley and Cloudy, not to seem cold and callous, but growing up in the country, and spending a very great amount of time trekking through the woods, I would see that kind of thing happen a lot. Nature contrary to Disney and the PITA and Eco-enthusiasts is not a kind nor gentle nurturing mother. Life is hard and cruel for most animals not just pets left out. I really think that it was seeing this kind of thing that gives me a different perspective on pets and people....I just can't really anthropomorphize them the way Colleen and you all seem to....I love my dogs..but they remain just dogs to me...not my children or different shaped people.

I often wonder whose view is more...healthy.
When I take them in, my pets get the best care possible. I don't dump them because it's inconvenient to feed or shelter or get medical care for them, nor did I ever once consider 'giving them up' because finding an apt was rough. Once I make the committment to take them into my life for good, I've made a promise and to me, that's sacred.

I just know far too many people who take your attitude and go to an extreme - ie: they decide that animals are just commodities to toss aside when it's too inconvenient to deal with them. Someone I met when I started work here really made me angry enough to make myself the promise I'd never do anything like that- she had a perfectly healthy and happy older cat but decided to get a 'cute' kitten. The older cat had issues that weren't properly addresed, vis a vis the newcomer (totally understandable, some avoidable and completely workable) and urinated indiscriminately. Instead of working out the situation (with advice from vet and myself and others) this woman took the older cat to the vet and ordered it killed. End of her problem. End of my association with her too.

[ 02-25-2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]