Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Wolf On Fire
Dungeon Master

I recently managed to get HOW working on my computer and have decided to make a new party:

- Human Paladin (Longswords, Crossbow)
- Dwarf Fighter (Axes, Bows)
- Gnome Illusionist (Dagger, sling)
- Halfling Theif (Shortsword, Bow)
- HalfElf Bard (Bow, Greatsword)
- Cleric (Mace, Sling) or Druid(Quarterstaff, sling)?

I just can't decide between the clerics raise dead and the Druids summons, can anyone help me decide? (feel free to comment on adjustments required in other party members)

Also, does a bard need more than 13 INT to get their lvl 6 spells? Are throwing axes available for purchase in Kuldahar?
Instead of the straiht theif I was going to dual class a lvl 3 fighter but decided it would be better not to.

- Thanks

[ 10-12-2005, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Wolf On Fire ]
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Wolf On Fire,

Congratulations on getting HoW installed!

If you do a DC Cleric/Ranger you can have Raise Dead and the Druidic spells, just not as high a level spells as a Druid would have.

The Druid spells, especially with HoW, are quite fun and useful; but I would in NO wise sacrifice the more mundane yet more useful and powerful Cleric spells to have them: Take the Cleric.

Throwing axes are available in Kuldahar, but are expensive. I let my Axe-warrior carry a Bow (with ZERO proficiency points) while I stacked PP in Axe and Mace. She did O.K. with the Bow. In mid-game you get an enchanted returning thrown axe to replace the Bow, and it is easy street from there forward.

If you let the Axe fighter go to 5 PP in Axe, she will be an awesome ranged warrior with the thrown Axe: Better than Bow! Meanwhile, stack the remaining points in a crushing weapon (Mace is an excellent choice) to hedge your Fighter against piercing and slashing immune foes.

Don't know about the 13 INT and spells; but you also want to remember that low INT may affect your Bard's lore ability (I don't know if it does). What I **do** know is that there is no reason not to give your Bard an INT=DEX=CON=CHA=18, and STR = 15 or better. Keep rolling until you get the 90+ points to do it: It's not that hard with the naturally high rolls the Bard gets.

You are right --> It is not good to DC a F(3) to Thief: You should go to at least F(6)! You do not really need a Thief in the early game; and a DC F(6)/T can get 3 PP stacked in Shortsword and in Bow, versus the straight Thief's 1 PP each. AND the F/T gets to use any weapon, including any bow (not just the shortbow). An MC F/T is an even better option, if you are doing HoW and had planned to DC any time sooner than F(9). An MC M/T will work, too. Just about **ANYTHING** is much better than a straight class "XP hog" Thief.

I'd give the Bow to the Pally and sell the Crossbow, since the Bow is more effective and the Bard should not be using any weapons from mid-game on. (My Bard has proficiency in Crossbow; but carries the "Lyre of Progression" in the shield slot, so she cannot use the crossbow without losing the extra spell slots that the Lyre provides. I sold the fine crossbow she found, and use her ammo slots to carry arrows and bullets for the rest of the group. In a warrior-heavy party, she more than pulls her weight by just singing and throwing the occasional spell.)

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 10-12-2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

cleric/ranger multiclass is the way to go.

I believe you will get both druid and cleric spells this way.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Eventually...

Depends on your style of play. Do you like summons and damage spells, or protection spells? Are you likely to need resurrection-type spells?

With reference to your party above, I would make the straight thief into a multiclass fighter/thief. You will have ample points for thieving skills, especially because your bard can handle all the pickpocketing. A F/T gives better HP, Thaco, access to a great helmet, and access to longbows.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:15 AM   #5
Wolf On Fire
Dungeon Master

If you make a F/T is the extra experience required deducted from other party members or is it just like having 6 party members?

- You guys are a great help!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Thnx
Old 10-13-2005, 09:14 AM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

No, each party member recieves his share of experience. The individual experience is then divided by the number of classes that character has.

My bad for missing it, single classed thieves suck. Definitely either multiclass him, or even make him a FMT.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf On Fire:
If you make a F/T is the extra experience required deducted from other party members or is it just like having 6 party members?
Yes, it is like krunchyfrogg said. For example, if your party of 6 had garnered a total of 600K in kills and quest XP, each party member would have roughly 100K. A straight Fighter with this amount of XP would be CLVL 7 and about 25K away from CLVL 8. If one of the members was, say, a Multiclass F/T, he would have 50K in Fighter and 50K in Thief: so would be a F(6)/T(7), and is about 28K away from F(7)/T(7) and 40K away from F(7)/T(8).

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote