Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 09:03 PM   #1
Eric the Red
Elite Waterdeep Guard

algernons cloak, i just had a look in the items section of this site under cloaks and i couldnt find anything on it, i played around with it, and i think all it does is charm people, anyone else had one at all?
Eric the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2001, 09:46 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Nope, Charm Person from a distance is all it does, besides the obvious +2 to CHA, of course. I think we've ALL had one--it can be quite a useful item if you know what it's for.

The Cloak that I find to be pointless is the Cloak of Non-Detection. It'd be great if any of the bad guys ever cast Dispel Invisibility, or Invisibility Purge or anything like that.....but they don't. I'm assuming they do in ToSC, or there's no reason for this damn cloak at all, except a small quest.

------------------
Boots of Stealth: 1125 gp
Shadow Armor: 7875 gp
Slipping an Oil of Firey Burning down the back of Sarevok's armor: Priceless
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 03:03 AM   #3
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

I played through ToSC several times and never met an opposing spellcaster who casted the spells you mentioned in your psot, six. Some do cast a dispel magic, at least sometimes...
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:51 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

That's about it really. I've never found an opponent to cast anything other than Dispel - I don't think that its in their blood to do so. Who knows. The cloak's alright, but I'd certainly give it over if I found something that offered even the slightest bit of an advantage.

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 02:19 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris77Se:
I played through ToSC several times and never met an opposing spellcaster who casted the spells you mentioned in your post, six. Some do cast a dispel magic, at least sometimes...
Pfffft. Useless item, then. What's the point of slapping one on your Thief or Invisible Mage if the enemies in BG1 and ToSC don't try to Detect you, and you lose the cloak when you start BG2? I agree, Lord Brass--even the Cloak of the Wolf is better than this thing.

------------------
Old 10-26-2001, 07:41 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I think that the only time I ever used the charm from the cloak was in an experiment during an extended manhunt by the forces of law and order in Baldur's itself. I charmed one Fist in my pursuit of carrying out several missions around the city. Yeah, yeah, I know, I should have done all that before I went back to Candlekeep, but there you go. (It was more interesting that way strangely, also you get to see Imoen and Minsc rushing around killing civilians because they turn hostile if you kill a guard.)

BTW Six', when you turn into a wolf using that cloak, can you turn back? I never seemed to be able to - and you've got to experiment - but the item description seems to suggest that it didn't work for its creator and not anybody else. Mind you, its a while since I sold it (naturally) so my recollection may be a little hazy...

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:04 PM   #7
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Algernon's cloak is one of the very best items in the game. If you have a thief (or ranger) with respectable charisma put this cloak on him or her. Have the thief approach in stealth mode and charm one of the enemy; then have that charmed enemy attack the other enemies, thus drawing their much of fire. You could do the same with any character who's made invisible, of course. One very effective way to do this is to charm one enemy only at the edge of the fog of war and have that character initiate the attack for you. It's also for great for correcting pickpocketing failures. Even if your pickpocketing ability is low you can pretty much pickpocket all you want.
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:45 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

When I keep the Cloak of the Wolf, it's just for a laugh--it's amusing to turn my entire party into wolves, and then watch them cast spells and buy things from shops. A Mage or something would get a definite bonus with the wolf's melee attacks, but you can't fire from a distance while in that form. Once a wolf, you remain a wolf for 8 hours--yeah, it took me a long time to figure that out, too. I suppose Relair bonded too strongly with his creation, and that's why the spell never wore off.

Algernon's Cloak, however, is truly a wondrous blessing. I use it ALL the time, but not on monsters--if they turn friendly to me and are instantly killed by the other monsters, *I* don't get the experience. I do sometimes use it on the Flaming Fist, though....I hate those Flaming Fist pansies! Sometimes I just pretend they don't exist and walk right through them while they're taking swings at me....."Ha ha ha, my party has an average AC of -4, so why don't you just go write some parking tickets or something?"

------------------
Old 10-27-2001, 05:09 AM   #9
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Be careful anyway, coz Algernon´s cloak has limited charges... 65 000 exactly !!

------------------
"Captive, captive... captive in heaven" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 05:44 AM   #10
Zbyszek

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
Be careful anyway, coz Algernon´s cloak has limited charges... 65 000 exactly !!

Hmm, I thought that 65536. But I can be wrong

Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote