Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I was so pleased when my thief dualled to an illusionist found a mage dagger. I thought that whenver he was dragged into combat, I could now sneak attack for a little bonus.

Nope, it's not suitable for backstabbing, for some reason.

Oh well.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

That's silly. I guess you'll have to exhaust those extra spells then pick another weapon.

I can't remember if I never knew that, or just forgot. Anyway, you know you're cutting it too close if you're using a mage/thief in melee combat.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:55 PM   #3
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

If they have enough invis. potions and/or spells, I forsee no problems
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

Kyrvias,

I think what Aerich is saying is that if you **have** to use the M/T to melee, you are cutting it too close: there are other builds --that you should have in your party-- that are much better at this kind of stuff.

As the owner of a M/T, I know how easy it is to get the character into melee inadvertently. If you are just doing it because you like to excercise or explore new tactics, or just enjoy riding the thin red line, then have at it.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by NobleNick:

If you are just doing it because you like to excercise or explore new tactics, or just enjoy riding the thin red line, then have at it.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Exactly what I was trying to get at. With a few spells, such as invisibility and maybe hold person and charm person, you can have a mage thief that is really handy in melee combat.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Generally speaking.

The Mage Dagger is not usable by pureclassed Thieves.

You can only backstab with weapons usable by pureclassed Thieves.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

hmm. That explains alot