Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #351
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Best team in the tournament-definitely not, luckiest team in the history of football- most definitely. I hope they enjoy their party, they'll never be able to pull a stunt like that again.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:21 PM   #352
GokuZool
Lord Ao

[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

I can't believe it.

Quote:
Pfeh, having 8 out of 11 players on defense at practically all times doesn't seem fair to me!
That's what I was thinking - how could Portugal break through Greece's defense if they had all their players back!? I know it wasn't Portugal's best game, but the way Greece played (and always play) was/is just so - irriating.

To quote Scolari: "They won defensively. They won because they knew how to play in that way."

Quote:
...flashy but pointless footwork a la Christian Ronaldo is of less importance than good organization and teamwork.
I would hardly call Ronaldo's footwork "pointless." Ronaldo didn't make the national team just on his footwork, but on his overall ability. If you've watched Ronaldo in as many games as I have, you would know that that he's one of the best players in Portugal.

Quote:
Best team in the tournament-definitely not, luckiest team in the history of football- most definitely. I hope they enjoy their party, they'll never be able to pull a stunt like that again.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:22 AM   #353
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

This year is just full of surprises ain't it?

yeck... oh well I had a feeling the Greeks will win... what on earth are they eating?! hehehe [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2004, 04:06 AM   #354
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

NOOOOOOOOO! Portugal won! I was crying too.

But atill, I am happy for Greece. They did a good job and are a nice surpprise.

ADD] Looking at Cristiano Ronaldo when he was crying was really heart-braking.

[ 07-05-2004, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Old 07-05-2004, 05:56 AM   #355
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Hard work, discipline, organization, superb tactics, nearly flawless teamwork, incredibly strong psyches (notice how coolly they acted in their defense and when they won possession even in the final 5 minutes when the Portuguese were pressing on for an equalizer like hell?), and a good deal of individual skill. I think all of these weigh in slightly heavier than luck.

Luck wasn't a bigger factor for them than for anyone else, more likely less so. The Portuguese should consider themselves very lucky that they got to the finals (I'm thinking of the Urs Meier incident, among other things) considering the poor performances they've mostly put out in this tournament.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:59 AM   #356
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

I would hardly call Ronaldo's footwork "pointless." Ronaldo didn't make the national team just on his footwork, but on his overall ability. If you've watched Ronaldo in as many games as I have, you would know that that he's one of the best players in Portugal.
For all his brilliance (I agree, he was superb against Spain and very entertaining to watch, but the game against Spain was the only good performance Portugal put out in this tour), he accomplished less than most of the Greek players, and blew it quite badly the few times that he did get a chance to score.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #357
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Looking at Cristiano Ronaldo when he was crying was really heart-braking.
I reckon - I had to hold back tears myself.